Recording

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've always loved recording! (Not loving what was recorded as much!)

I started as a kid with my Dad's Clarion small reel-to-reel tape player. Similar to this:

aiwa32.jpg

Then I got a nice cassette recorder somewhat like this:

DC_1.jpg

I about wore that thing out!

I would record a backing track on the old reel-to-reel and them jam some lead along with it and record it on the cassette!

Next I inherited a Sony full size Reel-to-Reel like this:

s-l225.jpg

Since these were stereo and you had the ability to record left and right channel separately, I dual tracked on one machine!

Then I stepped up my game and bought a used one of these:

Tascam_Porta_One_Ministudio.png

I spent hours "ping-ponging" tracks back and forth until I had seven tracks laid down.

Here's a sample of an original song I turned into a video:

(I warned you it wasn't very good! And just for the record, all the photos are mine from my first Kodak digital camera.)

I had also bought an electric keyboard for the drums!

I've messed around a bit with "Audacity" on the computer, but have never done anything serious.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've always loved recording! (Not loving what was recorded as much!)

I started as a kid with my Dad's Clarion small reel-to-reel tape player. Similar to this:

aiwa32.jpg

Then I got a nice cassette recorder somewhat like this:

DC_1.jpg

I about wore that thing out!

I would record a backing track on the old reel-to-reel and them jam some lead along with it and record it on the cassette!

Next I inherited a Sony full size Reel-to-Reel like this:

s-l225.jpg

Since these were stereo and you had the ability to record left and right channel separately, I dual tracked on one machine!

Then I stepped up my game and bought a used one of these:

Tascam_Porta_One_Ministudio.png

I spent hours "ping-ponging" tracks back and forth until I had seven tracks laid down.

Here's a sample:

(I warned you it wasn't very good! And just for the record, all the photos are mine from my first Kodak Digital camera.)

I had also bought an electric keyboard for the drums!

I've messed around a bit with "Audacity" on the computer, but have never done anything serious.

My ears would listen to it again and your Kodak captured some beautiful nature shots. Did you say where pix taken?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Most of then are from around Monmouth County, NJ but others are from around the eastern part of the country.

njmapb&w.gif

So...the Atlantic, then?
:tongue-new:

(OK, I'm willing to accept that perhaps on the east coast New Jerseyites consider Long Island and the states to the north to be the "eastern part of the country", but I couldn't resist.)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
njmapb&w.gif

So...the Atlantic, then?

(OK, I'm willing to accept that perhaps on the east coast New Jerseyites consider Long Island and the states to the north to be the "eastern part of the country", but I couldn't resist.)

I have absolutely no idea as to what you are trying to say!

I used "eastern part of the country" because some of the photos are from New Hampshire, The Delaware Water Gap in NJ, Annapolis Maryland, and the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia. (Not to mention Luray Caverns.)

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
These days I do my recording on an iPad, mainly using the Auria app but sometimes also GarageBand. Mics go into an Apogee Quartet. Electric guitars often go direct via Amplitube. Most "keyboards" are of the software variety, but I usually play 'em via a second (older) iPad and record audio, often coming from a mic'd amp, rather than MIDI data.

-Dave-

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
njmapb&w.gif

So...the Atlantic, then?

I think you jumped to a wrong conclusion. My experience is that the "Eastern part of the country" is anything East of the Mississippi and that definition does not change even when a location happens to be West of my current location.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think you jumped to a wrong conclusion. My experience is that the "Eastern part of the country" is anything East of the Mississippi and that definition does not change even when a location happens to be West of my current location[/B].

My humor was based on the perception that Monmouth County New Jersey is about as far east as you can get and still be on dry USA soil at the same latitude, yet Grot specified that other shots were taken in "the eastern part of the country"
It just struck me as funny, that's all.
Except for Virginia and Maryland, the locations Grot mentioned are in fact exactly the area I mentioned as being the only possible land east of Monmouth County New Jersey and you have to go north to get there, to what's commonly referred to as the "Northeast" and which the US Census Bureau defines as:Maine, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania.
All the states down to the Virginias and east of Ohio which normally marks the eastern boundary of "the Midwest".

regions-of-the-us-image.jpg

Ok, just trying to explain my reasoning, now going back to flat on my face as far as the humor element.
:friendly_wink:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, now I see where you where going. Although I don't see how I implied anything was further East then Monmouth County. (Just for the record, we're 20 minutes to the beach.)

It must be a West Coast thing to not understand East Coast terminology. I agree with Frono. Anything East of the Mississippi is the "Eastern Part of the County".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Oh, now I see where you where going. Although I don't see how I implied anything was further East then Monmouth County. (Just for the record, we're 20 minutes to the beach.)

It must be a West Coast thing to not understand East Coast terminology. I agree with Frono. Anything East of the Mississippi is the "Eastern Part of the County".

You've been awfully patient with me about a couple of things this morning.
Thanks.
:blushed:

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
My humor was based on the perception that Monmouth County New Jersey is about as far east as you can get and still be on dry USA soil at the same latitude, yet Grot specified that other shots were taken in "the eastern part of the country"
It just struck me as funny, that's all.
Except for Virginia and Maryland, the locations Grot mentioned are in fact exactly the area I mentioned as being the only possible land east of Monmouth County New Jersey and you have to go north to get there, to what's commonly referred to as the "Northeast" and which the US Census Bureau defines as:Maine, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania.
All the states down to the Virginias and east of Ohio which normally marks the eastern boundary of "the Midwest".

regions-of-the-us-image.jpg

Ok, just trying to explain my reasoning, now going back to flat on my face as far as the humor element.

Geography VEER - Geographic oddity in that the only place with 4 meeting corners somehow has 2 "corners" in the west and two "corners" in the southwest.

Also - out here in the "west" when I was growing up and being educated (technical definition!), the Mississippi River was the defacto dividing between "east" and "west", but that places a lot more land mass in the west.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

You need to spend time talking to real people, ideally some who have lived elsewhere besides California and NOT spend so much time on Wikipedia.

:)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You need to spend time talking to real people, ideally some who have lived elsewhere besides California and NOT spend so much time on Wikipedia.

Having spent a fair amount of time around Sillycon Valley CA, I think it's safe to say that there are no such people there. :barbershop_quartet_

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Having spent a fair amount of time around Sillycon Valley CA, I think it's safe to say that there are no such people there. :barbershop_quartet_

Well conceptually I realize there are other places besides California but I have a hard time actually internalizing it.
Life's tough for a virtual digital entity whose sole means of interfacing with reality is the internet.
But I'm trying.
In both senses.
:biggrin-new:
And the newcomers are swiftly seduced by the attractions of life in the big C, frequently opting to abandon their cultural heritages, much to the frustration of us indigenous peoples.
Thus Gary's difficulty in identifying non-natives.
It all started when those Facebook friends started movin' in.
There went the neighborhood.