GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck."

~ Bob Brozman

Alternatively,

GAD recording an acoustic for one of his reviews is God's way of showing GAD that he has no business owning an acoustic.

Yikes.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Remember my first time to hear myself on a tape recorder in the lat 50s. "That's not me" I protested but it was. Convinced me not to tryout for choir.

Neal

Reaction score
Hang in there, fellas.

It gets easier the more you do it.

I am trying to master playing to a click track in the recording of guide tracks of about 50 of my original songs. It has been a humbling experience to realize I am often slowing down during a song without intending to!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is funny how acoustics and electrics seem SO much the same, but we learn to play them VERY differently.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Remember my first time to hear myself on a tape recorder in the lat 50s. "That's not me" I protested but it was. Convinced me not to tryout for choir.

Change it to "early '80's", then it's a +1 for me. Forget the choir, I was already in my early 20's before I recorded myself. Still have the tape, transferred to CD. My playing isn't bad, but I have no right singing...

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Dad took us to a recording studio when I was 4 years old, my older sister played the accordion and I sang. I still have the 78 rpm record from 1958, and I had it digitized.

Antney

Reaction score
In 1980 my band was rocketing towards superstardom, money, and girls. I remember hearing a recording of us live. Shortly thereafter I quit the band and went back to college.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
If Neil Young and Bob Dylan can do it them pretty much anyone can........ except me of course! I have some tapes of myself a d a few friends form back in the early 70's - fortunately their voices drown out my whining!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
"Recording is God's way of telling you that you suck."

~ Bob Brozman

Alternatively,

GAD recording an acoustic for one of his reviews is God's way of showing GAD that he has no business owning an acoustic.

Yikes.

LOL, I love it!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha Antney. Not laughing at you, but with you. Humbling, isn't it?

On the other hand, I've heard plenty of bands who should have gone back to college, but they're still on their trek to international rock stardom...

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Back around 1974 I came across a portable stereo cassette deck, with built-in speakers, that allowed recording onto one channel while listening to a playback of the other. At Montgomery Ward of all places! So I "persuaded" my dad to buy one for me for Christmas. I remember one of the first tunes I seriously experimented with was Wish You Were Here, playing rhythm on one track and lead on the other with my crappy no-name acoustic guitar of the time. Then I mixed/bounced this over to a second, mono deck and then played that into one channel of the first deck while recording a vocal onto the second channel. The (mono) mic was built into the stereo deck. It also had stereo line & mic inputs but I didn't own a separate mic. Lotsa fun!

My solution to a less-than-great rhythm guitar track has always been: double it! :lemo:

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Back around 1974 I came across a portable stereo cassette deck, with built-in speakers, that allowed recording onto one channel while listening to a playback of the other. At Montgomery Ward of all places! So I "persuaded" my dad to buy one for me for Christmas. I remember one of the first tunes I seriously experimented with was Wish You Were Here, playing rhythm on one track and lead on the other with my crappy no-name acoustic guitar of the time. Then I mixed/bounced this over to a second, mono deck and then played that into one channel of the first deck while recording a vocal onto the second channel. The (mono) mic was built into the stereo deck. It also had stereo line & mic inputs but I didn't own a separate mic. Lotsa fun!

My solution to a less-than-great rhythm guitar track has always been: double it! :lemo:

-Dave-

Dave

What became of you? Professional musician - or back to school ? :tongue-new:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Dave

What became of you? Professional musician - or back to school ? :tongue-new:

Kinda the latter. ;) Though I never had musician plans. Not driven enough that way. But I've messed about with recording my entire adult life.

-Dave-

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....But I've messed about with recording my entire adult life.

Much the same here, starting with a wire recorder. :eek: (Oh, well, I wasn't an adult then!) Then a stereo reel to reel. I always loved to multitrack - play different parts. Later a Clarion 4-track cassette recorder, like this one:

It'd make a great boat anchor! But I recorded this frenetic piece on it well over 20 years ago, on a Prophet V synth.....

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Much the same here, starting with a wire recorder.

I have a wire recorder in my basement. I inherited if from my grandparents and kept it because it came with recordings of family members. Of course in several decades I have never tried to play the recordings...

Neal

Reaction score
I have been using a piece of recording software called Reaper. $60 for a lifetime license, with everything you need and nothing you don't for home recording. Way easier to understand and use than Pro Tools and Ableton.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Much the same here, starting with a wire recorder. :eek: (Oh, well, I wasn't an adult then!) Then a stereo reel to reel. I always loved to multitrack - play different parts. Later a Clarion 4-track cassette recorder… It'd make a great boat anchor! But I recorded this frenetic piece on it well over 20 years ago, on a Prophet V synth.....

Neato! I borrowed a reel to reel machine for awhile from a neighbor and used it mainly for creating tape echo. :) Got into 4 track in the '80s with a Portastudio. At my first proper job I worked with a guy who had an entire Oberheim setup: OB-X synth, DMX drum machine & DSX sequencer. This was just before MIDI came along and it got me into keyboards (I already played piano) and electronic music making, something I'm still into.

I see Dave Smith has reacquired (or been able to license) the Sequential brand name. Glad he's still involved in the synth world!

-Dave-

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been using a piece of recording software called Reaper. $60 for a lifetime license, with everything you need and nothing you don't for home recording. Way easier to understand and use than Pro Tools and Ableton.

I picked up Cubase Elements for around $80 on a Stupid Deal of the Day. Everything you need for home recording and then some. Learning curve? Yes.