How not to clean your guitar

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I take mine to my friend's restaurant and put it on the conveyor belt for the industrial dishwasher. Comes out sparkling every time.
Brad :crazy:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You could strap tha gitfiddle beehind yer boat, when ya go sailing . . .

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha, ha! That video was shared here at LTG a few years ago, but always good to watch it again!
Ralf

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just take mine into the shower with me; there’s a water shortage here in SO CA!

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
OK - so I am bad today.....
Was that Dawn dish soap so it was gentle on the "pups"?
Or perhaps Palmolive so it could "soften" those harsh notes.....

Ducking and running....... :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wait, you guys clean your guitars? but i thought it was like washing an iron skillet. you dont wash it to let the flavor really set in. wait, should i be washing the skillet too?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
wait, you guys clean your guitars? but i thought it was like washing an iron skillet. you dont wash it to let the flavor really set in. wait, should i be washing the skillet too?
YES, but 2 completely different issues:
With skillets, it has nothing to do with the "flavor" (even though it's called "seasoning"); it's about creating a non-stick and anti-rust surface (and it does prevent fried foods food from tasting like iron-rich liver):
"The Reality: Seasoning is actually not a thin layer of oil, it's a thin layer of polymerized oil, a key distinction. In a properly seasoned cast iron pan, one that has been rubbed with oil and heated repeatedly, the oil has already broken down into a plastic-like substance that has bonded to the surface of the metal. This is what gives well-seasoned cast iron its non-stick properties, and as the material is no longer actually an oil, the surfactants in dish soap should not affect it. Go ahead and soap it up and scrub it out.
The one thing you shouldn't do? Let it soak in the sink. Try to minimize the time it takes from when you start cleaning to when you dry and re-season your pan. If that means letting it sit on the stovetop until dinner is done, so be it
."
With guitars, it's exactly the opposite:
Well-applied layers of grime, sweat, and old furniture polish will hydrolyze into a near-impervious coating which will protect your NCL and even poly finishes, enhance checking, and even scoop mids from tone almost as efficiently as a laminated top.
You might even be able to cook with it.

F312

Reaction score
...and after washing your iron skillet, put it on the burner to dry.

Ralph