NGD! 2011 F-30CE Natural

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
NGD! 2011 Guild F-30RCE. New Hartford model in mint condition, with OHSC. It was on eBay, but I bought it "off eBay", at a discount from the posted eBay price since I picked it up – an hour from my house. I split the eBay and PayPal fee savings with the seller, and of course, no shipping charge. I spent about three hours playing it today, so these are my early thoughts. For those three hours, my shoulder was feeling OK, so I’m hopeful the smaller body size is making a difference. You can see my D64 and the F-30 together in a photo below - doesn’t look like a lot of difference, but the shape of the lower bout and the thinner body width seem to help me.

It was a shock to my system to have bought a “new” acoustic. I’ve only played the D64 since 1984. It was a bit weird, to say the least. And no crater-like fretboard divots! Still, I think my D64 is pi$$ed…

The guitar smells and looks brand new! OHSC case also in excellent condition. This guitar was not played very much. No dings or nicks, and what a beautiful top! It appears to be (like most Guilds) extremely well-built.
Sound-wise, it is of course not as loud as the D64, but still very clear and resonant. The bass in particular is not as booming as the D64, although playing open chords is definitely still has a deep, clear tone. One thing my D64 has certainly done is “open up”, while this one is pretty much unplayed. I guess I will need to fix that myself if I keep it.

The satin finish on the neck took a bit to get used to but it plays nicely, and it did not take long to not notice it. I like the 1 ¾ nut, but weirdly the neck radius feels larger than my D64 – the D64 has sort of an “electric feel” neck. I would have thought the F-30 would be thinner. Not a problem, just interesting. My favorite trait of this guitar is the cutaway. I play high on the neck occasionally, and it is great to be able to get there with the cutaway.

Tried the DTAR for a bit – it’s OK, although I think the K&K mini in the D64 is better sounding. To be honest, it not likely I will play this guitar plugged in very often.

Overall, I’m pleased, but I need to spend some hours with it to really see how it feels and plays and sounds, and if it really is an improvement “shoulder-wise”.

tWIElMAl.jpg
[/IMG]

yDX0RTSl.jpg
[/IMG]

7KiC97Pl.jpg
[/IMG]

F7YqoUhl.jpg
[/IMG]

yYF5RBwl.jpg
[/IMG]

RDOYQARl.jpg
[/IMG]

nk1dzeUl.jpg
[/IMG]

walrus

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Appreciate reading the early impressions, hoping it works out. Looks like a damn nice F30!
And that D64 is just spectacular! Wood and neck details remind me of my F44.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Appreciate reading the early impressions, hoping it works out. Looks like a damn nice F30!
And that D64 is just spectacular! Wood and neck details remind me of my F44.

Thanks! Yes, the D64 is a beauty, but a beat-up beauty!

walrus

beecee

Reaction score
tons of silking on that top.

Good luck with her.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
very beautiful Walrus, congrats and enjoy! id say after 34 years on the D-64 you are doing pretty good!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats!!! That's a beauty!! If I was gonna buy another Guild, that would be the one!! :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey congratulations man. I saw that one on CL. Looks like a real gem. Glad you grabbed it. F30, rosewood, cutaway, 1-3/4 nut... great combination. Nice score.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Walrus:
Don't think you need that 2011 Guild catelog. Don't think they could have a picture of one any nicer than the one you just bought..

ClydeTower

Reaction score
You're so lucky man! I've been looking for the exact same guitar, but have yet to find one. Thanks for the review. Interesting about the neck profile... so you think it feels beefier than your D64?
What are you mostly playing: fingerstyle, strumming, flat picking?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You're so lucky man! I've been looking for the exact same guitar, but have yet to find one. Thanks for the review. Interesting about the neck profile... so you think it feels beefier than your D64?
What are you mostly playing: fingerstyle, strumming, flat picking?

Thanks, Clyde! I got lucky this one was close enough to go check out and pick up. The neck is definitely "beefier". I did some A/B-ing and could tell my thumb was over the D64 more. Because my PRS has a "wide fat" neck, which I love the feel of, I'm fine with it. I've also had more than one Guild Bluesbird, and those necks are "beefy" to say the least. BTW, nut width on the D64 is 1 11/16, PRS is also 1 11/16, but the F-30 is 1 3/4. This adds to the feel difference, too.

No finger picking, all strumming and flat picking. Loving the cutaway for soloing up the neck...

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks all for your comments!

BTW, in the other thread about "shoulder discomfort" I started, it was noted by a few LTGers that this body shape (vs. a dread) would be more comfortable playing sitting down because of the shape. Although I don't play sitting too often, I played a bit today while sitting and that advice was definitely correct. And so far standing is not bothering my shoulder as much either.

Weirdly, I was thinking last night that if this becomes my "go to" guitar, it will make my D64 my "beater". It looks like a "beater", but it just seems so wrong... :culpability:

walrus

beecee

Reaction score
Weirdly, I was thinking last night that if this becomes my "go to" guitar, it will make my D64 my "beater". It looks like a "beater", but it just seems so wrong... :culpability:

walrus

Now that is a first world problem!!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Update: I've been playing this guitar for almost two weeks - about 15 hours of playing. I have not had any shoulder discomfort - the guitar definitely fits better into my relatively decrepit body. I am finding it very comfortable to play - which was my main reason for guitar shopping for a smaller body guitar.

Clearly less bottom end than the D64, but surprisingly close - I did not expect the guitar to sound as voluminous as it does. I'm assuming it will continue to "open up" as I play it.

I play mostly standing, and I am fond of walking around the room a bit - got my first ding on the bottom of the guitar already - a small one, but there - stupid! Looking at my D64, I'm sure there will more - I know I need to be more careful, but let's call it "mojo"...

One weird thing is that if I happen to see a reflection of myself in the window, or a picture frame or something, sometimes I stop and look, and then I have to look at the top of the guitar. The spruce top on this thing is really beautiful - all sorts of "silking" designs going on everywhere. I was not really expecting this distraction, but I like it.

Apparently, this guitar is a keeper.

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Walrus! That is a beautiful Guild. and an F30R. Bet it sounds great and I really like the cutaway. I also like the part of the story where you have not bought a guitar since 1984. if i read that correctly. GAS has nothing on you. You are like the tom brady of guitar buyers.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congrats Walrus! That is a beautiful Guild. and an F30R. Bet it sounds great and I really like the cutaway. I also like the part of the story where you have not bought a guitar since 1984. if i read that correctly. GAS has nothing on you. You are like the tom brady of guitar buyers.

Well, my physical ailments brought me to the PRS Hollowbody, and now this F-30. But if you saw my "fretboard divots" post perhaps it was time anyway! I picked up the D64 yesterday, and it felt huge! Seems strange, but I've been playing the F-30 only, after playing only the D64 for literally decades.

I'll tell my wife she's like Gisele!

walrus