Got me a Guild at WalMart

Mark WW

Reaction score
Yup - Wally World. I had been looking at an OM-140 sunburst but the best price I had seen was $600. Streetsounds had a plain spruce for a great price but nowhere near this. Plus the guitar came with a softy/hard case. This has wood or some kind of shell covered by nylon. I like it a lot. IT also came with a strap, picks, cleaning cloth and a stand and the Guitar for $401 plus tax shipped free.

I am quite impressed. Here is a link and a video in the plain finish.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Guild-OM...Hg8J2M85grCXYmw4AzVyKbLrBPS2A1mBoCSHAQAvD_BwE

beecee

Reaction score
4 left. Tempting but I just bought a similar sized Guild :hopelessness:

wow, all solid top, back & sides,....hmm

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And a stand? LOL! Incredible! Good looking burst and rosette!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I enjoyed your blog on HOS chess pieces

GAD did a write up about House of Stanton chess pieces ? I Missed that. I have a "cheap" set I got on sale, a number of years ago. If I was ever in Georgia, I'd have to drop by.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I enjoyed your blog on HOS chess pieces

GAD did a write up about House of Staunton chess pieces ? I Missed that. I have a "cheap" set I got on sale, a number of years ago. If I was ever in Georgia, I'd have to drop by.

I have now read the blog entry. 8 years old, I see. GAD, you spent WAY more than me ! I got a set for $99 on sale and just got a simple Drueke board. ( https://www.chessusa.com/product/DB-103.html ) and I see the price of that board has doubled since I got mine !

I've always wanted to build a cool box out of a plank of Walnut I have for the pieces, but my skill and set of tools has not made it happen.

beecee

Reaction score
Oops, I didn't notice the date.

I have a set that has been in my family at least 60 years that I can determine. I've been playing on it for over 50. Not ebony, but well carved, Nice heavy old board.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Yes, good price. Sorry to see Guild go this route. A very large mandolin dealer dropped the Kentucky line because he could no longer make any money on them, even though no instrument leaves his shop without a great setup. People can now get them on Amazon. What incentive does a "real" guitar shop have to become a Guild dealer? Sales of the import line enable dealers to afford to be able to stock the MIA guitars. Take that away and why would a retailer carry Guild?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yes, good price. Sorry to see Guild go this route.

This might be a consequence of the slow-rolling decline of Big Box guitar stores. Guild may have more MIK guitars warehoused than dealers willing/able to stock 'em.

-Dave-

Mark WW

Reaction score
Remember this is a discontinued model. They make the same guitar with a pickup the OM-140e that MAPs for about $849. OOPS just checked and they have MORE at $401!

Br1ck

Reaction score
If they are blowing them out, dealers really would not want to divert from more profitable sales. So dump them on the general public.

beecee

Reaction score
I just opened mine up.

While I'm waiting for the pix:

Came in a factory sealed Guild carton. Has the stiff "soft case" with a lining exactly like my F-50R had.

It is an incredibly beautiful burst, actually reminds me of my (now Tx's), F-50R burst.

Unplayed, no marks on it no fingerprints...nothing!! End pin is in bag with wrench for TR. plastic on pickguard.

I just hope it sounds as good as it looks, the rosewood on this is really really nice. I'm shocked.

Pix are somewhere between my phone and computer, will post asap.

I'm impressed

beecee

Reaction score
j3jdEk6.jpg
[/IMG]

tVLfjYg.jpg
[/IMG]

5OZyGpP.jpg
[/IMG]

This picture does not do it justice at all.

only concern I have it the saddle has an odd tilt to it.

More later

Mark WW

Reaction score
Yeah mine is beautiful. I am contemplating selling one of my GAD's that has a 1-11/16" nut. I really prefer the 1-3/4" nut width and full C profile.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Hey Brand new-Factory warranty should apply if there is an issue with your saddle.

beecee

Reaction score
never thought of that. Hmmm where is that warranty card?