GC has a New Guild OM-240CE in Inventory. -- Sign of things to come?

PittPastor

Reaction score
The GC in Monroeville, PA (a suburb of Pittsburgh) has the first new Guild guitar that I can remember ever showing in stock.

At least I think it's new. Online it is showing as new. But it says it's retail price is $499 (on sale right now for $449) -- which seems too low for a new guitar. Guild website shows it at $699. I'm going to try to stop by and play it Sunday (I know no one cares, but I will anyway..)

I'm not in the market, and I'm really not looking for an OM, however, if is is new inventory, it might mean that GC's deal with Cordoba is extending to Guild guitars as well, and that is kind of exciting for me. There are no Guild dealers in Western PA, so having a place to go and try out new models sounds really good!

Oh, and then there is that whole "2 Years, interest free financing" thing... yikes, this might be dangerous now that I think of it!

Guild OM-240CE Charcoal Burst - at Guitar Center

L21524000001000-00-500x500.jpg

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy

I have a natural / blonde since early this year - and I can say it is well worth the money - nothing to compare with my F50R naturally.

Only complaints I have are : fret ends needed some finishing - tone control act more like 3-way switch.

But for the price both are minor / minimal issues.

This guitar has brought me more joy than expected.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
AFAIK a OM-240CE is a Westerly Collection, MIC. GC has always been able to get MIC Guilds to sell although actually having a new one on the display floor has been a rare occurrence. Toward the end of the NH years someone could be a Guild dealer and carry the MIA but not the MIC, the MIC bt not the MIA or could carry both. I think for those who want to be able to get their hands on a new Guild (MIC and/or MIA) this is a good sign but I'm not sure it signifies a change from the status quo.

marius

Reaction score
At least I think it's new. Online it is showing as new. But it says it's retail price is $499 (on sale right now for $449) -- which seems too low for a new guitar. Guild website shows it at $699.

The “240” would indicate laminate back and sides so $499 retail seems about right.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Marius is correct

Other
• Headstock overlay: Not specified
• Tuning machines: Guild Vintage-Style open gear
• Bridge: Pau ferro
• Saddle and nut: Bone
• Number of strings: 6
• Special features:
• Case: Deluxe padded gig bag
• Accessories: None
• Country of origin: China

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The “240” would indicate laminate back and sides so $499 retail seems about right.
With due respect sir, "240" says nothing about lamination although one would expect it of the back at least, but I think "Westerly Collections" still all have solid sides** like the domestic versions they were derived from.
Assuming this late 2014 chart from Cordoba is still "valid":
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/guild-acoustic-naming-structure.pdf
"OM" is body size,
"200" means "Solid top/arched back; Imported" and
"40" means Spruce top/'hog body

**Edit: Having just checked on this, I note that they list the sides on the OM240 as "Mahogany" as opposed to "Solid Mahogany"; whereas they do spec "Solid Mahogany" on the domestic M20.
So it appears that the sides are laminated.
"huh".
And Marius' notable record of accuracy is intact.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is one in Tucson GC near me, I went over and played it a couple weeks ago. Decent guitar, I liked the burst. Sounded good plugged in too. They were asking like 429...

marius

Reaction score
And Marius' notable record of accuracy is intact.

Awe man...here I was all ready to defend my "record".
FWIW there are a lot of people here, yourself included, with a lot of LTG history and a lot of great knowledge to share. I'm happy to contribute when I can.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Awe man...here I was all ready to defend my "record".
FWIW there are a lot of people here, yourself included, with a lot of LTG history and a lot of great knowledge to share. I'm happy to contribute when I can.

Aww shucks...I even realized your term "indicate" could be interpreted a couple of ways, too.
And you've tossed out a couple of gems here with some vintage catalog scans!
In fact over the years, with Guild, it's been pretty customary for them to omit the word "solid" when they don't want to use the term "laminated" with all its negative connotations..as undeserved as they might be..

marius

Reaction score
IDK what street is. Guild has it listed at $625.

Street price is what I meant by retail as apposed to MSRP. It's hard to nail down the street price especially when they start blowing out discontinued models.

But that's not as good as the Walmart deal going a few threads back. Of course, you can't play them at Walmart. Which, considering the crowd you'd gather there... probably a good thing...
Since that OM140 is sold and shipped by Walmart I wonder if you could return it to your local Walmart if you're dissatisfied. That is a great price on an all solid guitar. I believe their normal street price is/was $799 with the "E" version going for $849.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Times Square GC Manhattan has Oxnard D-20, M-20E sunburst, and a sunburst D-40 as well. all made in Oxnard, USA

these will go fast in store at that location

O5z4mI.jpg

J9O50A.jpg

nqhmar.jpg

they looked untouched

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mav, that's very interesting! A GC with new (USA) Guilds!

I need to remember that. Some of my blanket generalizations no longer apply and I need to stop making them or at least add a caveat or waffle word or two.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I need to remember that. Some of my blanket generalizations no longer apply and I need to stop making them or at least add a caveat or waffle word or two.

this is just a great quote for anything i might say these days.
especially, waffles.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Well, clearly times are changing under CMG's ownership, Fro. Fender could not build enough USA guitars (in New Hartford, at least) to court Guitar Center as a dealer/distributor. And, in retrospect, they may have had little incentive to market the MIC Guilds through them to get the volumes up as they had other brands for that purpose. I don't know. I think CMG's perspective is radically different than Fender's and I'm (somewhat) excited to see this development.

Wal-Mart though? Seriously? Maybe this is better for CMG than, say, getting rid of discontinued product through MIRC, though honestly the price is so low I'm not sure how this is going to be helpful. On the other side, sometimes a loss leader is a great boost for brand recognition. Does Guild need that? In any case, it's hard to imagine that being a long-term direction for CMG. On the super PLUS side, this beats the $hit out of some FIrst Act crap that folks might buy otherwise. I hope some young, starving musicians get their hands on these.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Times Square GC Manhattan has Oxnard D-20, M-20E sunburst, and a sunburst D-40 as well. all made in Oxnard, USA
they looked untouched

That's because they are locked up. I understand the need for that. They don't want idiots off of the street trying to impress their GFs and getting these off of the wall and end up banging them up or something. But, the downside is there might be someone who is casually interested who won't ask to play them because they have to run down the guy with a key. And it's hard to really take your time and play them while the guy's sitting there holding the key-ring and waiting for you to finish.

IDK what the answer is, but there are plenty of guitars I have looked at and thought about, but never made it further because I didn't want to mess with Key-Dude.

Still, it it great seeing these pictures! Here's hoping it becomes a trend. There are SO many Guilds I am interested in, but never get a chance to play. And with my fickle left hand, I've learned I need to play before I buy these days.

beecee

Reaction score
Since that OM140 is sold and shipped by Walmart I wonder if you could return it to your local Walmart if you're dissatisfied. That is a great price on an all solid guitar. I believe their normal street price is/was $799 with the "E" version going for $849.

I just picked mine up...hehehehehe...Thanks Mark WW. It is the last thing I needed but what the hey.

I have 45 days to return "or replace".

I'm not sure I'll be putting my D-70 on that stand anytime soon but we'll see when I get home what the OM is all about.

I'm an eternal optimist.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
in some parts of the country Walmart is all they got. thats where u shop for everything. great move for CMG.

the low price however has me wondering if they are returns or blems etc. so will be interesting to see what u all recieve. of course half the suff in music shops and online have the blems or have been tested out...

GC has to keep them locked in this part of country, the stores are just too busy, too many tire kickers, and a million other reasons. GC is in trouble for a reason, this is one recent change. id be happy if i went in and was serious that it hadnt been out in the wild much, or at all. USA Guilds are low in numbers, they dont need any true “floor models.” those are the 3 they have and no coincidence they are in Times Square (and no imports sighted there). if u want to play one, all u have to do is ask...

beecee

Reaction score
I'll post a quickee review when I open it up.