Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's humidifier time in the northeast US

Chaz, thanks for the reminder, but a mere 15-20 miles north of you things are moist as all get out...at moment 53% in living room, haven't checked meter in guitar room, but lets just say I won't try mowing the lawn tomorrow! May be different in this house though, as we still have steam heat...its on, but SWMBO isn't letting it get very high (shudder!). Flannel shirt and wool sweater time in here...
    Guild 66-J amplifier (Hoboken)
    Guild D-55 (New Hartford)
    Guild Starfire-4 (Westerly)
    Huss & Dalton DS Custom (Staunton)
    Huss & Dalton TD-R Custom, "The Pilgrim" model

Yeah, RH popped back up yesterday, Bill. Meanwhile, it's getting cooooold at night. :)
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

And winnnndddeeeeee...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
    And winnnndddeeeeee...
    Hey, Bill - could you be the firefighter and train spotter I know from TDPRI?

Yes Charlie, spent a wonderful weekend at your home learning about amplifiers a few years back...still got that Martin D18, she was sweet!

EXACTLY, Charlie!! Thanks for reminding everyone. My two "whole house' humidifiers (in 1600 sq ft) now have calmed down a bit because of thunderstorms and the a/c has been backing off. The other morning it was 66 (on the inside, 55 outside) in the morning. Not a problem for me but the wooden things need monitoring. Trying to keep it at 40% is a struggle. Plus using soundhole humidifiers. But NOW..... winter is on the way.... which means the heat comes on and then it's SUPER difficult to keep humidity up here in the desert. i guess I'll be on the phone to Sunbeam to see what kinda deals they have on humidifier wicks. I spend about $160 a year on those plus all the antibacterial and anti-whatever to keep them running longer. The STRUGGLE IS REAL!! Too much money invested in these silly wooden things to be careless!!!
    Last edited by davismanLV; 10-19-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Yep, it's that time of year!

Filling up the ol' humidifier in the vault!

Hmmm.
    Last edited by Default; 01-03-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    "Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Kurt, that's pretty high tech there..... not sure we have that technology here in Las Vegas yet..... lmao!! Now it's 32 outside and struggles to get to 38 today for a high. And HEAT takes WAY more humidity out of the air than a/c does! So today was my annual call to Sunbeam to order the humidifier wicks and the water treatment to keep the minerals and calcification down. So i'm not far off my estimate above. They currently have a BOGO on filters, wicks, and chemicals!! So i got 24 wicks, and two bottles of water treatment for $167.00. That'll last about a year. I'm sure there are people who think I'm crazy to spend the money, but with $20K invested in guitars that i truly love, it's worth every penny. So now the two humidifiers are STRUGGLING with 40 RH and we've flipped the wicks and rinsed them in vinegar and they're doing better, but i hope the shipment gets here soon.

If you have whole house humidifiers or even just room humidifiers that require wicks or filters, Sunbeam Inc. a division of Jarden Consumer Solutions (www.holmesproducts.com) has this great BOGO deal going on now.

Of course, I forgot the model or part # that i usually get, and OF COURSE they got all new computer systems so my info wasn't readily at hand. Luckily Gladys knows what she's doing and after putting me on hold and consulting the department that retrieves information, she got my previous orders and now we see how good she is. I hope they're the right ones!!

ANYWAY, check your humidity and take care of the wooden kids...... as Charlie has said, it's an awful mistake to live with. Keep humidifying, my friends!!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Right on, Tom. I just had to change the filters on mine yesterday. It's been a pretty temperate winter so far this year, but the heat really does suck the humidity out of the air. I think I'll pull out the Favilla later to remind myself of my stupidity. Haven't had that guitar out of it's case since I bought the Mark, and that's just wrong.
    Guilds:
    1967 MK-VI Artist Special (Hoboken - Jacobs restoration 2018) - "The Mark"
    12ers:
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Other 12ers:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655