What's the truss-rod history with Guild 12-strings?

Brucebubs

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Guild dropped the dual truss rod system on their 12-string guitars in late 2006/early 2007 - at the end of the Tacoma era.

Just had a poster on another forum tell me his D-1212 from China has 2 truss rods.

What is the story?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bruce, both things are correct. The MIC Guilds continued to use two truss rods in the neck for quite a long time. Not sure if they still do, but I believe it's been changed.

The transition in Tacoma happened as you said, I believe it was late in 2007 actually, but I'm not sure. It was one of the last big change orders that the Tacoma shop actually acted on. Later, in the New Hartford era, they changed the actual truss rod that they were using in the 12ers to a dual-action rod. I don't know if what preceded it was a standard (single-action) rod or just a different dual-action rod. Neck manufacture in New Hartford was highly influenced by equipment and processes that came from the Ovation processes, by the way. The giant CNC cutter that they used to shape the raw necks was an unbelievably cool machine - that was inherited from Ovation. But, in any case, all NH 12ers used the single rod flanked by fixed carbon rods technique that came from Tacoma-era.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bruce, both things are correct. The MIC Guilds continued to use two truss rods in the neck for quite a long time. Not sure if they still do, but I believe it's been changed.

The transition in Tacoma happened as you said, I believe it was late in 2007 actually, but I'm not sure. It was one of the last big change orders that the Tacoma shop actually acted on. Later, in the New Hartford era, they changed the actual truss rod that they were using in the 12ers to a dual-action rod. I don't know if what preceded it was a standard (single-action) rod or just a different dual-action rod. Neck manufacture in New Hartford was highly influenced by equipment and processes that came from the Ovation processes, by the way. The giant CNC cutter that they used to shape the raw necks was an unbelievably cool machine - that was inherited from Ovation. But, in any case, all NH 12ers used the single rod flanked by fixed carbon rods technique that came from Tacoma-era.

My memory agrees with Chazmo's :)

Two things that have contributed to the confusion.

Some people do not understand what a dual action truss rod is and assume a dual action truss rod must mean the guitar has two truss rods.

Some people do not realize that the carbon fiber rods are just stabilizers and cannot be adjusted and assume they are a second (and third) truss rod.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I became a dual action truss rod believer when I had my Pono parlor shipped from Florida to California. The neck was so out of wack, I loosened it to neutral, which I believe was one and a half turnes, then another turn the other direction to get it playable. Anyone familiar with quarter turn increments will realize how radical this was. Did it over four days. Then, as the guitar acclimated to Ca. weather, I moved it back over the next two weeks. Ended up just about where it started.