Guild Acoustic Bass Thoughts?

katthestar

Reaction score
My 1990’s reissue Starfire fits in the Cassady case, so I doubt this will. The case I have for it has a depth of 6.25”, and it’s too small due to the arched back. I’m thinking the Sweetwater one might be my best option. I don’t think I can wait until Black Friday. I need to return the GC Roadrunner case, but I can’t sleep with the bass not in a case...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My 1990’s reissue Starfire fits in the Cassady case, so I doubt this will. The case I have for it has a depth of 6.25”, and it’s too small due to the arched back. I’m thinking the Sweetwater one might be my best option. I don’t think I can wait until Black Friday. I need to return the GC Roadrunner case, but I can’t sleep with the bass not in a case...

Somehow both Mavuser and I got the impression you got a B4e? (I might have influenced him with my own misunderstanding?)
Ok, back to the content I deleted from my earlier post yesterday:
A case for a B30 shows a 7" body depth, Haight-Ashbury music shows those too, just to present the option:
http://haightashburymusic.com/guild-c5250-deluxe-case-for-guild-b30-jumbo-acoustic-bass-guitar

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
no i knew what bass she got. the case from Haight Ashbury is for a B4E though, and a starfire bass fits in that case. I would stay away from that one from the sounds of it

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
no i knew what bass she got. the case from Haight Ashbury is for a B4E though, and a starfire bass fits in that case. I would stay away from that one from the sounds of it
For sure a B4 case will be too shallow for a B30, only showed a 4" depth.
"H-A" shows both, and I showed a link to the B30 case yesterday, until I went back through thread and thought Kat got a B4.
Went back to the original GC link to see if that's where I screwed up but it's gone now.
Anyway, just explaining that yesterday I DID post B30 info but then went back and changed it to the B4 link.
But also suspect one reason H-A may be holding out for their asking price for all this time is that they know how rare the Guild acoustic bass cases actually are, as standalones, at least.
I may have also made the mistake of assuming they had NOS cases just going by the pics, but I realize now those could just be stock pics.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I need to return the GC Roadrunner case, but I can’t sleep with the bass not in a case...

I'm in the school that believes an instrument should only be in one of 2 places at any given time: In your arms or in its case (and I just realized I should add "at your luthier's", too).
Anyway, just want to applaud your concern for proper safekeeping!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to clarify.

B-500CE

100_6430.jpg

Mine is in a factory case but I don't know which one. The body is from the "Prestige" series that Guild did but with the longer neck I wouldn't think that it would fit in the same case as the guitar version.

Here's a "Prestige" guitar just for reference:

Prestige.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify.

B-500CE

100_6430.jpg

Mine is in a factory case but I don't know which one. The body is from the "Prestige" series that Guild did but with the longer neck I wouldn't think that it would fit in the same case as the guitar version.

Dang, My favorite 16" lower bout jumbo body.
Now I want one.
:adoration:

katthestar

Reaction score
The C5550 case is the correct one, but HA doesn’t have it. My luthier said that those turn up on eBay sometimes and that he would keep an eye out for me. He suggested I return the GC case and get a soft case for now. Now to find a soft case... I believe the bass is 7” deep. I tried my acoustic guitar case, but it wouldn’t fit. I don’t know what soft bag would work.

katthestar

Reaction score
The case it fits in is 7” deep. HA doesn’t have the case, but the dimensions are on their website. I’m worried I’m not going to find anything to put it in. I’m wondering if I should return the bass...

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a little confused with the body depth numbers being thrown around. While I don't have my B-500CE sitting in my lap, since it built on a Prestige guitar superstructure which is essentially a flat top version of an X-175/500, I believe it's only around 4-1/2' deep! It shouldn't require a very deep case.

katthestar

Reaction score
The case I bought has a depth of 6.25”. I can fit it in by jamming it, but the case needs to be wider and deeper. Due to the lack of a curve, I can’t close the case and the neck is about a half inch off of the rest. The headstock appears to be too wide for the case as well. I don’t have measuring tape to measure the bass with, or else I could get the exact dimensions. I think the depth of the case needs to be 7”.

katthestar

Reaction score
If this thread is going to turn into criticism of me based on conjecture, please close the thread.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused with the body depth numbers being thrown around. While I don't have my B-500CE sitting in my lap, since it built on a Prestige guitar superstructure which is essentially a flat top version of an X-175/500, I believe it's only around 4-1/2' deep! It shouldn't require a very deep case.
Grot I suspect you've just forgotten that it's actually a 6.5" deep body (otherwise Kat wouldn't be having this problem).
Even though the outline comes from the Prestige, I suspect the bass version has a deeper body along with bracing differences due to different soundhole and bridge placement, and bass string tension.
I suspect this is why cases for some of 'em are pretty hard to find, and the headstock size issue adds another complication.
The case I bought has a depth of 6.25”. I can fit it in by jamming it, but the case needs to be wider and deeper. Due to the lack of a curve, I can’t close the case and the neck is about a half inch off of the rest. The headstock appears to be too wide for the case as well. I don’t have measuring tape to measure the bass with, or else I could get the exact dimensions. I think the depth of the case needs to be 7”.
With Guild cases at least, as I explained before, they don't actually have a "curved" back, they're just deep enough to accommodate an arched back, which requires a uniquely-sized case for some basses.
That neck rest issue and headstock size are obviously coming into play as well.
Since HA's was gone, I'd pester GC again.
I think if it's buried in their storage it'd still be pretty big and hard to miss, if somebody knew what they were looking for.
Offering a case that didn't actually fit was pretty lame and almost worse than nothing, but I'll try to give 'em benefit of doubt as a misguided attempt to try to do something nice for you.
Or, hate to suggest it, but send it back as you were thinking, before you bond with it.
For me with my Guilds at least, the case is part of the instrument.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If this thread is going to turn into criticism of me based on conjecture, please close the thread.
???
Sincerely, we're just trying to help.
I think you're just running into the limitations of a text-only format.
Some things get lost in the absence of real voices and facial expressions, that's why we go heavy on the friendly wink emoticons.
Trust me if anybody was getting any criticism here it'd be GC, this issue of a lost case isn't new for 'em, assuming they ever had the case at all.
We all cheer for somebody who just made a purchase of new-for-them Guild, especially a rare bird like this, but I think this time we got a little sidetracked by the case question and forgot the "Congratulations!"
Like I said earlier, I applaud your desire to get a proper case for a very nice piece!
OK, I'll back off now, please don't take it wrong.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Al, plenty of Guild cases have arched backs and or tops, any USA Stafire case, and a ton of other hollow and semi hollow stuff as well. Some acoustic cases do as well (primarily the top of the acoustic case). If anyone is mental about how a guitar fits in its case (along with a long list of other things), it’s me. I would call Sweetwater and ask them to help u find what u need, since they have a good reputation for doing that. You could Google “Acustic Bass Hard Case” and see what comes up, click thru all the options to the specs/interior sizes etc. I would think between Epiphone, Road Runner, SKB, Guardian, Mono, and TKL, one of them would have to fit?