Guild Acoustic Bass Thoughts?

katthestar

Reaction score
I ordered the bass yesterday. Everyone cross your fingers that GC doesn’t screw up shipping it. It’s going to the store so I can inspect it, try it out and hide it from my Dad. I’ll most likely check it out on Thursday. I guess I’m in a rebellious phase, not listening to my luthier. It’s so pretty though....

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy

Can someone put the picture here - GC links do not work here in Finland - they are restricted.

Thank you

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

katthestar

Reaction score
When I bought the bass, the picture went dead. I will take a picture of it when it arrives. Or I can ask the guy at GC to take pictures before they ship it, I doubt it will go out before Monday. Like Frono said, it’s like a B-30. It has a cutaway.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I bought the bass, the picture went dead. I will take a picture of it when it arrives. Or I can ask the guy at GC to take pictures before they ship it, I doubt it will go out before Monday. Like Frono said, it’s like a B-30. It has a cutaway.

OK - I have sunburst B-30 fretless here - suppose I can imagine the cutaway. Venetian or Florentine?

katthestar

Reaction score
It’s a Venetian cutaway. There’s a video link in Grot’s post (4th comment on the first page), that is the exact same as the one I bought.

katthestar

Reaction score
The bass shipped out today, it should come in around Thursday to the store.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
katthestar,

FYI: Never having met him in person previously, I did a long-distance purchase of one of mavuser's basses earlier this year and wound up being 150% satisfied with the transaction. He gave me an honest and accurate description of the instrument in question and I personally would not hesitate to do business with him again.

Just thought I'd offer up that information in case you are thinking about looking into his offer above.

Edited to add: ooops: missed the part where you've already bought a bass. I'll leave my comment above up for the benefit/edification of anyone else who reads the thread.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
appreciate that very much MF- thank you. the B500 is super hard to find. I could certainly see someone going for a nice one if available, and “figuring it out later.” GC makes that deal even sweeter, with the return policy and all...a “no brainer” even for somone with mild to medium interest. I’m not going anywhere, and will always have something nice to offer.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never having met him in person previously

I have :)

lmg-f-004_zps4832852e.jpg

Fro, Mrs. Fro., mavuser and Grot in NJ at Mr. and Mrs. Grot's although they weren't married when this was taken.

Porter and Monumental IPA from Port City Brewing in Alexandria VA.

Newark Street Starfire for sure. Two x-20's of mav's I think and something maple of grot's?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
not sure if i am playing the wrong chord or taking solo in this picture! thats Grot’s Hoboken F-20 your wife is playing

katthestar

Reaction score
Bass should be in my hands tonight at GC! Hopefully, I’ll like it and bring it home.

katthestar

Reaction score
I brought it home. However, due to the arched back of the bass, it won’t fit in a generic acoustic hard shell base case. What cases does this fit in? I’m going to return the GC one once I get one that fits. I asked my Dad if he can modify the one I bought, and he can, but I’d prefer not to do that.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I brought it home. However, due to the arched back of the bass, it won’t fit in a generic acoustic hard shell base case. What cases does this fit in? I’m going to return the GC one once I get one that fits. I asked my Dad if he can modify the one I bought, and he can, but I’d prefer not to do that.
Link to '01 price list showing Guild number C5255 for the case, cases at bottom of list
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/files/Guild2001.pdf

With all sympathy, I think it's gonna be tough.

I do know TKL was OEM maker of Guild cases at that time, at least for the generic dreadnought and jumbo cases shown, and the C5255 looks like a TKL model number.
They're still in business and may be able to help.
Otherwise somebody'll come along with a link to a generic supplier as has happened so often in past.
:friendly_wink:

Edit: HAH! I should search before I post.
Here's a genuine article, in case no better solution is found:
http://haightashburymusic.com/acces...-case-for-guild-b4eb4ehg-acoustic-bass-guitar
Pic with dimensions indicates a B4 was only about 4" deep, right?

Last edited:

katthestar

Reaction score
So you think this case will fit?
http://haightashburymusic.com/guild...p9-h95qU8xetWUrJCrxlnAhs3nNN8ZB0aApGSEALw_wcB
The price is a bit high, but a safely kept Bass is important to me.
I did ask GC to let me know if they find the case this was traded in with, as I would just buy it from them. They had the generic case in stock at the store I picked mine up at, but couldn’t find it so I had to go back there again tonight.
Seeing my luthier tomorrow, I’ll see if he has a lead on a case.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So you think this case will fit?
http://haightashburymusic.com/guild...p9-h95qU8xetWUrJCrxlnAhs3nNN8ZB0aApGSEALw_wcB
The price is a bit high, but a safely kept Bass is important to me.
Absolutely, no doubt about it.
Note that the original Guild case last listed for $225 (yeah, yipes!!!) but for sure nobody's ever complained about TKL quality.
And that arched top is an extra strength feature against crushing forces.
And will come with lock and key, which you should of course throw away immediately.
:biggrin-new:
Anyway, just want you to be able to compare Apples to Apples
I think that's too deep now, I think the B4 was only 4" deep but didn't have that info when I first posted.
Measure the depth of a side at the lower bout, that'll tell you.
See my edited post:
That one at HaightAshbury for the B4 shows a 4" depth, and it's a real Guild case down to the G-shield logo silk-screened on the top.
I'm satisfied it's the right case, and their B30 case showed a 6" depth, correctly corresponding to the price list spec, so I assume they've got it right.
I did ask GC to let me know if they find the case this was traded in with, as I would just buy it from them. They had the generic case in stock at the store I picked mine up at, but couldn’t find it so I had to go back there again tonight.
Seeing my luthier tomorrow, I’ll see if he has a lead on a case.
Sadly GC's not well known for keeping track of their cases but you never know.
Just letting you know there's guaranteed-to-work solution if you can't find an "easier" one.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
call sweetwater and have them help u on the phone. if that gator case works, buy it. although u may be able to get the same thing on amazon or GC for less $ on black friday or the new online monday or something...try to buy from seeetwater on amazon if u go that route.

I inquired about the Haight-Ashbury case several years ago. price was high and shipping was as well from what I recall. there may have also been tax. there is a reason they have never sold the case in approx 24 years. maybe its the price, maybe its something else. if it definitely the exact case for that bass and the bass is in really nice shape I could see it being tempting. they are holding on to that thing like a pot of gold though. u can buy a B-4E in that same case for around $400 on a good day, that is the case with the B-4E bass inside the case...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the B500 looks shallow. are u saying it is too small for an acoustic bass case, or somehow too big?

a starfire bass, with its arched back and top, fits in that B-4 case. Your bass may fit in a newer Starfire or Cassady case, those would be a lot less money if so. I have a couple NOS Cassidy cases if it turns out that would work. I would call sweetwater and ask for all the options for the B500!