Guild Acoustic Bass Thoughts?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, plenty of Guild cases have arched backs and or tops,
You sure about the backs?
Would seem to defeat the utility of the stand-off buttons found on backs.
Never seen an arched back on a case, only tops, like 2 of mine.
It's a definitive feature of a "Deluxe" case.
In balance though it's true I've never seen any electric cases in person let alone vintage ones.
You got my curiosity up and a search turns up one of the most likely suspects from the '60's, Starfire bass case, and it's got a flat back:
https://reverb.com/item/12661849-19..._c-iSjqxPTrDBoCepAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1
pzo1anfflh7grm4sr3xk.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, we are going to get to the bottom of this. I will be stopping by the vault on the way home and grabbing my B-500CE!

I will be posting photos of the body thickness and of the factory case.

Stay tuned...

(Katthestar, hang in there, us old guys like to argue, it's about the only thing we've got left to enjoy!)

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Alright it's time to get this all straighten out!

By Katthestar's first post I thought she was looking to buy a B-500CE bass from a Guitar Center in NJ. Since the link is gone we'll never know what the bass was that was pictured. I know what a B-500CE looks like since I own one and I posted a video of me playing mine so Kat could hear what one sounded like unplugged.

Then she mentioned a B4 for sale.

I thought she ended up buying the B-500CE from Guitar Center. Which would look like this:

20181026_184014_zpsrjbffhqc.jpg

But then this post had me confused since a B-500CE is the depth of a jazz body guitar:

The case I have for it has a depth of 6.25”, and it’s too small due to the arched back.

And then this post:

I believe the bass is 7” deep.

OK, well her bass can't be a B-500CE! To be that deep it has to be either a B-30 or B-50!

Here is the depth of a B-500CE:

20181026_184122_zpsahbri1tk.jpg

As you can see, it is only 3-1/2" wide. (Plus maybe another 1/2" for the arched back.)

Grot I suspect you've just forgotten that it's actually a 6.5" deep body (otherwise Kat wouldn't be having this problem).
Even though the outline comes from the Prestige, I suspect the bass version has a deeper body along with bracing differences due to different soundhole and bridge placement, and bass string tension.
I suspect this is why cases for some of 'em are pretty hard to find, and the headstock size issue adds another complication

I think you missed the mark a little bit with this statement Al!

So on to the case...

The case is only 4-1/2" deep!

20181026_184148_zpsnczguhzv.jpg

So what did Kat really buy? Once again, I will post a photo of my B-50. Is this what your bass looks like Kat?

100_6427.jpg

If it is a B-30 or B-50, unfortunately they are very hard to find a case for.

Now to answer Al's question about archtop cases.

Here is the bottom of a mid 60's case for an X-175/X-500. As you can plainly see. it has an arched bottom!

20181026_173424_zps55vzhw4l.jpg

20181026_173415_zpsvq7mmoiw.jpg

I guess that will do it for today, class dismissed!

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You sure about the backs?
Would seem to defeat the utility of the stand-off buttons found on backs.
Never seen an arched back on a case, only tops, like 2 of mine.
It's a definitive feature of a "Deluxe" case.
In balance though it's true I've never seen any electric cases in person let alone vintage ones.
You got my curiosity up and a search turns up one of the most likely suspects from the '60's, Starfire bass case, and it's got a flat back:
https://reverb.com/item/12661849-19..._c-iSjqxPTrDBoCepAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1
pzo1anfflh7grm4sr3xk.jpg

thats not a starfire bass case, its not any Guild case. the seller is talking out of his ***

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
If this thread is going to turn into criticism of me based on conjecture, please close the thread.

I missed any criticism, although I did see a lot of confusion about models. But personal attacks are discouraged and Moderators are supposed to deal with them so, please, please PM a mod and reference a particular post and we will take care of it.

I very much enjoy your posts and would hate to have you feel attacked or uncomfortable and stop posting.

As for this thread, I think people got confused because looking at a B4 was mentioned. I think the root cause is that GC misidentified the bass you bought. Kurt laid it out well and I agree that with a ~7' depth it almost certainly has to be a B50 and not a B500CE. Now if it has a 7' depth and a cutaway you may very well have a previously unknown model since only a B50 and B30 were that deep and neither came with a cutaway as far as my research can tell.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
sounds like Kate is saying she thinks the bass needs a 7-inch deep case at the arches of the case. she never said the bass had a body depth of 7 inches, or that the case should be 7 inches at the edge/side

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
sounds like Kate is saying she thinks the bass needs a 7-inch deep case at the arches of the case. she never said the bass had a body depth of 7 inches, or that the case should be 7 inches at the edge/side

I believe the bass is 7” deep.

I guess we should stop discussing what we think she posted and just wait until she posts again :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Alright it's time to get this all straighten out!

By Katthestar's first post I thought she was looking to buy a B-500CE bass from a Guitar Center in NJ. Since the link is gone we'll never know what the bass was that was pictured. I know what a B-500CE looks like since I own one and I posted a video of me playing mine so Kat could hear what one sounded like unplugged...
OK, well her bass can't be a B-500CE! To be that deep it has to be either a B-30 or B-50!
Here is the depth of a B-500CE:

20181026_184122_zpsahbri1tk.jpg

As you can see, it is only 3-1/2" wide. (Plus maybe another 1/2" for the arched back.)

Grot I suspect you've just forgotten that it's actually a 6.5" deep body (otherwise Kat wouldn't be having this problem).
Even though the outline comes from the Prestige, I suspect the bass version has a deeper body along with bracing differences due to different soundhole and bridge placement, and bass string tension.
I suspect this is why cases for some of 'em are pretty hard to find, and the headstock size issue adds another complication.
I think you missed the mark a little bit with this statement Al!
Fair enough, and thanks for the clarification!
I see you also had similar confusion to mine, thinking Kat had actually purchased a previously mentioned B4.
Mine was compounded by the fact I couldn't see your video AND the GC link was gone.
And no B500ce specs to be found in a web search.
I was literally flying blind and trusting Kat to be ID'ing her bass correctly.
Since yours wasn't "in hand" I figured a possible memory lapse.
Should have known better and thank again for the definitive evidence!

Now to answer Al's question about archtop cases.
Here is the bottom of a mid 60's case for an X-175/X-500. As you can plainly see. it has an arched bottom!
20181026_173415_zpsvq7mmoiw.jpg

I guess that will do it for today, class dismissed!

Again, thank you!
thats not a starfire bass case, its not any Guild case. the seller is talking out of his ***
I did think it looked a bit odd, (kind of pointy at the upper bouts) but figured the plaque just wasn't visible on the neck of the case.
Who would suspect an internet seller of misrepresentation even if unintentional?
:stupid:

Last edited:

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
FWIW - I went through a similar search when i bought my semi-hollow M-85. Finally found a case that would handle the deep profile of the original M-85.

It's not a Guild case. I forget what brand. Maybe it would work since the M-85 swims around in it. But maybe nit big enough.

I'll post the brand later this week when i return from teaching the rubes here in Austin how to play bass.