Most Versatile Rosewood, Mahogany, and Maple?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
If you were going to limit (or at least you have that intent) yourself to one 6 string Guild acoustic of each of the three aboved mentioned tonewoods which model of each would you put in your arsenal of acoustics?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mahogany- N.H. Custom Shop Orpheum Jumbo
Maple- Toss Up between Nashville Custom Shop JF65CE Jumbo and N.H. F50 Jumbo.
Rosewood- Toss Up between Custom Shop Fleming built F47 Brazilian and N.H. F50R.

I know it said only one of each but when I say Toss Up it means whichever one is closest because they are so equally wonderful.:witless:

TX

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
there are some super nice maple acoustics out there and in right hands they are pure gold (Slash, Izzy...). they are really bright and loud, almost sound like electrics to my ears. if i were going down to 3 Guilds and I was not a professional musician making income off playing, i would not be so hot for a maple acoustic, just for the point of having an example of that tone wood- swap it out for a mahogany *top example and my picks are:

mahogany back/spruce top- F-30 short or long scale

mahogany back/mahogany top- if long scale- flat back mahogany top D-25 (from any era); if short scale M-20

rosewood back/spruce top- D-50 w paddle head (not the snake head); or possibly a D-55.

lots of opinions and discussions on the F-50R vs. D-50/55. i suppose we are all different but for me the F-50-R is too much and too little *for me* all at the same time. i would put any D-50 up against any F-50R, at least in my own hands. D-50 w paddle is Guilds 6-string rw queen. D-55 is the princess!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Mahogany- N.H. Custom Shop Orpheum Jumbo
Maple- Toss Up between Nashville Custom Shop JF65CE Jumbo and N.H. F50 Jumbo.
Rosewood- Toss Up between Custom Shop Fleming built F47 Brazilian and N.H. F50R.

I know it said only one of each but when I say Toss Up it means whichever one is closest because they are so equally wonderful.:witless:

TX
Thanks and gives me more "food for thought." Great answers should I ever run upon a bargain of either.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
what is a maple 45th anniversary?

Made in 1997 in the custom shop in Nashville to celebrate 45 years of Guild. The 50th was made in Corona out of brazillian back and sides with engleman spruce top. The 60th was constructed in NH in 2013 out of koa all around.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks wow yeah if i did get a maple accoustic it would be that

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard,
You've owned the F-48 in the past. Tell us how the Oxnard F-40 compares to it.

I've owned 3 different F 48's I believe the Oxnard F 40 is a better sounding guitar although I'll admit I truly like the inlays/bling on the F 48. I won't count out owning another F 48 at some point.

Tico

Reaction score
A year ago I'd have answered a 1977 D-55 with IRW B&S, like the one I bought new and have played daily for 41 years.
But then a year ago I inherited my best friend's 1973 D-44M, with maple B&S.

Honest, now I love them both equally.
Very different sound, but equally fantastic.

Play everything.
Then buy what you love most.

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
Well, I really want for nothing besides my:

RW: D-70
hog: D-40
Maple: wanting

Antney

Reaction score
I honestly don’t know why guild makes anything other than their D50.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know why Guild makes anything other than their D50.
Because the original F40 body was the best.
:tongue-new:
Joking aside I already have 2 'hog body dreads and an F40-shaped maple archback (the F65ce) although it's a mite shallow and I'd prefer a slightly wider nut.
So even though I have no experience with rosewood, my "pipe dream" right now is a genuine 16" lower bout rosewood bodied F40 or F47, with a 1-11/16 nut.. and new.
It's "right-sized" for me now.