Anyone play "Old Love" by Clapton ?

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've trying to figure out a section. The that part in the chorus where it sounds like it's just a walk down bass line section, but the shape of the chords he plays in the unplugged version, which is the only one that stays on the guitar, has me a little lost. It doesn't help that he fingers simple Am and Dm7 and Gsus4 etc kinda weird doesn't help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSHPkq6aYSs

The section I am asking about starts right at 1:05.

crank

Reaction score
I am too lazy to tab it out but will try to explain here.

With your index finger barre the high E, B and G strings on the 5th fret. Then with ring finger do a chromatic walk down on D string starting on 7th fret and ending at the 4th fret. This, as I play it requires a couple fingering shifts: When I am playing D-E at 5th fret I am just barring the 4 strings with my index finger. Then I shift fingering again to index finger on 4 then fret D string and middle finger barring the 3 high strings on 5th fret.

So basically you are playing an Am to start and walking down the bass note from A to Gb.

Hope this explains it ok.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I see now. But it sounds thin. ( Just about like Stairway to Heaven to be honest. ) I guess I'm picking up what the bass is doing, and thought the guitar part had more bass going for it. Seeing the chords not played as barre chords looks right, but I wonder why he plays that way ?