Reaction score
I had pictures sent a few weeks back

PMf5Ie2.jpg
[/IMG]

H8Qlmgc.jpg
[/IMG]

WRUAh9e.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't think I'd call that a true "crack" when it's actually a seam separation of the top halves. A different dynamic causes that, it's not a true "grain separation", even though both are caused by drying out.

LAP57

Reaction score
A mint condition use F30rce went up on craigslist in the Boston area this morning I called right after lunch and it was gone. It really did look very nice in the pictures and the asking price was $1500. I am next in line if the deal falls through but I am not holding my breath. At least I have a better bead on market value given how quick that sold.

Any one here grab it?

LAP57

Reaction score
I don't think I'd call that a true "crack" when it's actually a seam separation of the top halves. A different dynamic causes that, it's not a true "grain separation", even though both are caused by drying out.

I also thought it might be a seam that came apart. It is right in the center of the top. The other thing I noticed and did not mention before is that the frets were pretty worn. I don't know if they can be dressed or if they need replacing. I didn't notice any issues when I played it but none of the other guitars I have looked at had frets that worn. I will be going back this weekend and have another look and decide if I want to make an offer.

Neal

Reaction score
That crack is eminating from the G string bridge pin, not the center seam. So, it is a bonafide crack, not a center seam separation. Still, no biggie, as long as the price reflects the devaluation.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

+1. those center seams don’t bother me so much.

i liked it at 800+tax, before u told me it needed a fret job. but, if i was super hot for one, adding the fret
job is reasonable enough. GC does have 12 month financing on used...and the return policy...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That crack is eminating from the G string bridge pin, not the center seam. So, it is a bonafide crack, not a center seam separation. Still, no biggie, as long as the price reflects the devaluation.

y'know, I looked at that a couple and then decided it was so straight that it had to be a seam, and that it just looked a little "off" due to photo angle.
And the grain patterns looked properly matched on each side.
But you've got so much experience in that kind of stuff you made me look again.
I'm thinking you must think the seam is actually exactly 7 lines down from the crack as seen in the center photo.
And sure enough, count down another 7 below that and you come to another darker grain line that would be the mirror of the crack line on that side.
And you can even barely make out that the grain is actually v-e-e-r-r-y slightly angled towards the center line on both sides, at the true seam line.
Like a very narrow v with the point aimed at the fretboard.
Good catch.

Neal

Reaction score
As a vintage bottom-feeder, I have gotten good at assessing less than stellar examples of old Gibbies and Martins.

If they are even remotely affordable, they have at least one, usually multiple cracks. The big questions are how many, where, how ugly, and how affordable!

My best-sounding guitar is a '49 J-50 with multiple cracks and a LOT of pick rash. A real "player", but it just has "that" tone.

About the only thing I will shy away from is a broken headstock. Or a complete refinish that robs a guitar of its mojo.

Neal

Reaction score
Hey Larry, I recently purchased a 2012 New Hartford F-30R that I am having trouble playing, given that it has a modern neck profile and I am playing older fat-necked guitars these days, for the most part. My fretting hand aches after playing it for any length of time. Sad.

PM me if you are interested in discussing it. I will probably list it for sale next week. It is not a cutaway, but it is in dead mint condition.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Neal, sorry to hear the F-30R didn't work out. Considering your description, I'm now
wondering if my NH F-30 standard (hog sides & back) doesn't have a somewhat
chunkier - and more comfortable - neck than my NH F-30R. May
have to take some measurements along the way soon...

beecee

Reaction score
It is at the g string, sales rep said

The center seam is 8-9 rings closer to center.

Bridge looked a tad fiddled with at the pegs, maybe rough handling when changing strings.

Pretty tho...and has certainly had some good play time.

Neal

Reaction score
Neal, sorry to hear the F-30R didn't work out. Considering your description, I'm now
wondering if my NH F-30 standard (hog sides & back) doesn't have a somewhat
chunkier - and more comfortable - neck than my NH F-30R. May
have to take some measurements along the way soon...
Yeah, it's a shame, but all part of the game, i suppose. I looked for an F-30R for nearly 2 years, thinking the 1 3/4" nut would be great, which it is. But there just isn't enough "meat" behind it on the neck for my comfort. It feels like the new Martin MLO neck profile. Someone who plays electric guitars would love it.

The tone is really top-of-the-line, which makes it extra hard to admit defeat.

tommym

Reaction score
Yeah, it's a shame, but all part of the game, i suppose. I looked for an F-30R for nearly 2 years, thinking the 1 3/4" nut would be great, which it is. But there just isn't enough "meat" behind it on the neck for my comfort. It feels like the new Martin MLO neck profile. Someone who plays electric guitars would love it.

The tone is really top-of-the-line, which makes it extra hard to admit defeat.

Well that's a real bummer!

For what it's worth, I find that the F30's as a whole do not have meaty neck profiles; even the vintage ones.

Tommy

Neal

Reaction score

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A mint condition use F30rce went up on craigslist in the Boston area this morning I called right after lunch and it was gone. It really did look very nice in the pictures and the asking price was $1500. I am next in line if the deal falls through but I am not holding my breath. At least I have a better bead on market value given how quick that sold.

Any one here grab it?

Yes. I need to spend some time with it - assuming it's a keeper, NGD post will be coming soon. It was on eBay, but I bought it "off-eBay", at a slight discount since I picked it up. One hour away from me.

It is a 2011 in mint condition...

walrus

LAP57

Reaction score
I went back to GC and bought the F30rce they had. After looking at it again the crack was less daunting and the frets were not nearly as worn as I remembered. I showed it to my luthier on the way home and other then the crack he found no other issues with it. Since I have a 45 day return period at GC I am going to play it for a week, show it to my teacher at my next lesson and then if I decide to keep it I will take it back to the luthier for a little TLC. Seeing how few of these are available and knowing what they sell for I felt that the price GC was asking was reasonable. I did ask for a better price but they had just dropped the price $150 a week ago and weren't budging. Even with a $100 bill from the luthier I think I got a good deal for a guitar I intend to play.

I played the guitar last night and today and so far I am quite happy with it. It is more comfortable then my Jumbo and sounds much better then my Parlor for strumming. I will look forward to hearing it played by my teacher as a final evaluation of the tone.

nlWCSAO.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations, LAP! Glad you go that one, love the burst!

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
a 1998 F-30 Black i played had a beefy, chunky, rounded neck.

LAP57 nice score! also I see u do not discriminate with truss rod cover orientation.

rwmct

Reaction score
I played that Southington F-30rce not too long after they first got it in and I think I mentioned it on here something. At that time they wanted over $900 for it, IIRC, and I thought it was over priced, given the crack. They did not seem interested in dealing on the price at the time, otherwise I probably would have looked at it harder. I would not mind a F-30rstd to go with my F-30std.

Last edited: