A guitar that I designed 1984 - wish me luck

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

i984 I came to idea, that a solid body 12-string with 24frets free of body, one pickup and whammy bar would be cool. And it should fit in Gibson Protector II case. So first I made a cardboard, that would fill the case lines. Designed headstock with 12 Schaller mini tuners - set the place of the nut - scale - bridge. Then started to play with different body shapes, until I had what I thought would be nice. Cut the outline and brought the cardboard model to my friend Matti Nevalainen, who later became known as "Flying Finn Guitars" maker.

- http://www.flyingfinnguitars.fi/e_front.html

So he said he will make me one - a few months later I had it. Last I´ve seen of that one is, that I sold it to Pete Wagner at LaVonne Music in MN. I might have a picture of it somewhere.

Meanwhile the cardboard model remained hanging on his workshop wall. Some guitar players saw it and asked, if he would make a 6-string version with two humbuckers for them.
I found one of those 6-strings about 15 years ago in local music store with a sticker "Not for sale" - he would not even discuss it. Few weeks ago i visited his new location just to see him. Sure enough that guitar was hanging there. I told him that it is my design - and he got quite exited about it - took some photos of me playing it.

Yesterday noonish I went to see him - we talked of how we both are not getting younger anymore and neither of us have anybody to carry our business after we´re gone - so we both better get rid of the stuff, while we still can. For him it is the music store - for me it is the pa-systems and stocks of swiss tape recorders and loudspeaker elements.

I asked if I could borrow the guitar for afternoon - I had left my Guild D-125 in his shop in hopes, that he might do some trading. I called Matti Nevalainen - he lives nearby - went to show him the guitar - and first then it dawned on me, that there were not that many around.

Final score is, that he made another 12-string for a finnish artist Yari plus 3 6-strings. He reshaped the headstock to his then standard. On the other 12-string he added a cavity + f-hole.

So back to this 6-string - I went back to store in the afternoon with the guitar and a contract paper, that I had written. Idea is, that if he finally agrees me to have it, I will give him life-long right to buy it back for 100€ - if I ever decide to sell it. Also if I sell it to anybody else without offering it to him first, then I shall pay him 3000€ compensation. Naturally this guitar is not worth more than 1500€ or less, so I should be able to convince him, that I want it because I designed it, and want to keep it.

So now the guitar is here - needs good cleaning, new strings, fret end smoothing + little loving care. It plays well and the sound is fine for me.

Finally few pictures of it - the glue on headstock is where the "Not for sale" sticker was . . .

So while the hopes of ever getting a fancy Guild Nightbird or Bluesbird are thin - please hold your thumbs up for me, that I could get this.

img_2687.jpg

img_2688.jpg

img_2690.jpg

img_2691.jpg

img_2692.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Beautiful! Love the finish color (no pun intended!)!

What wood is the top? Crazy grain on it!

walrus

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great story and a cool guitar - wood and coloration on the top is absolutely wonderful and wild -congrats!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Thank you for nice comments. Top is birch.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So while the hopes of ever getting a fancy Guild Nightbird or Bluesbird are thin - please hold your thumbs up for me, that I could get this.
Y'mean like this?
:encouragement:

Great story and a cool guitar - wood and coloration on the top is absolutely wonderful and wild -congrats!

Yeah great story.
And I don't believe I've ever seen a green sunburst before...not even on one of those crazy '80's pointy guitars!

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I grew up at Lavonne's Music store. Awesome shop! Cool story

And I was working at James Berns Music in Bloomington - 8417 Pillsbury Ave S - tel 612-884-1774 - do we perhaps know each other?

And if it is not too much trouble - could you go ask Pete about it - he does not answer, when I send him e-mail