Reaction score
u missed one

pRuOWE.png

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
u missed one

Touche! :highly_amused:

I was aware of it (it showed up on D25's, too) but it was far enough removed from the subject color that I elected to try to keep the examples as selective as possible.
:friendly_wink:
And I'm still curious to see a shot of "Charcoal" or if new shots of the Pilot come back much "bluer".
I was even wondering if Grot's might actually be "Charcoal" over maple because it's got a distinct dark "tannish" hue on my tube....

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It’s a dark blue with hints of green due to the poplar wood. I thought it was a refin, but I have seen another Guild bass with the same color, just not in person. I think it’s called translucent blue.

There was a 'Woodgrain Blue' during that particular period. Here's what it would look like on a maple-bodied instrument:

WoodgrainBlue_6.jpg

On a poplar body that color could very well look like the finish on your bass.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
here is the the link to the Hans/2Nevets Blues 90 with many different photos of the finish in different light. I think this is the charcoal over maple

https://reverb.com/item/171609-guild-blues-90-bluesbird

Thanks!
Actually I'm not seeing any blue in there at all, it looks a whole lot like Twocorgi's fretless to me (and reinforces my suspicion that Grot's "mystery color" is actually Charcoal too.)
I'd never think of that as "Charcoal", I'd think of it as some kind of "brown".
But you and I have already done brown..... :biggrin-new:

katthestar

Reaction score
I’ll try and get a picture in the sun light tomorrow when the sun comes out. My luthier is in Westerly, and I think he has some records, though I’m not sure. I’ll see if he knows what the color name is. I think Hans’s picture and name are probably the correct ones. I like how this turned into a color discussion.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I like how this turned into a color discussion.

One of the ways things work around here is that I will make a strong statement, based upon memory or experience, and it will be unintentionally factually incomplete or incorrect. Depending on who catches me first there will be a gentle or a pointed correction and then we're off. In this case I really have no recollection of seeing "your" finish before but I have seen pics of Sandy's and Kurt's basses so what is really going on is the differences in color perception due to photograph lighting and display calibration. Pretty fun and I hope I will remember part of it the next time.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My luthier is in Westerly, and I think he has some records, though I’m not sure.
Aha! I remembered he worked there but that clarifies things. I'm sure he'll remember that color name, it's kind of unusual.
I’ll see if he knows what the color name is. I think Hans’s picture and name are probably the correct ones.
I'd be mighty surprised if your luthier doesn't agree with Hans.
That pic he posted looks exactly like yours, on my display.

Last edited:

katthestar

Reaction score
According to my luthier, it’s called translucent blue. I did mean to ask him how many Pilots had that color, but didn’t get a chance. I had to bring him some Grover tuners for the M-85 project bass, and I put my Fender up for consignment.

katthestar

Reaction score
I forgot about it. Living in New England the weather has been dreary lately. Then when it is sunny, I’m busy. I’ll try to take it before the big rain storm hits.

b0rn2w0rsh1p

Reaction score
Asheville, NC (prev: Casper, Wy & FL Gulf Coast)
Wow. Never seen that color.

Haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this is a repeat... TransBlack... that's as in Transparent and not transitioning (from Charcoal?). Occasionally found on pretty wood like a flame or quilt.

Now that I read the rest of the posts, I see this HAS become a color discussion!. Absolutely would benefit from direct sunlight. You may also want to make sure your "Camera" is set correctly, even most phones have a "White Balance" sometimes simply choices between indoor/outdoor or incandescent/fluorescent/sunlight/candlelight/etc. And of course, as I mentioned "Pretty Wood", Maple will take the color differently than other woods like poplar or mahogany.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if this is a repeat... TransBlack... that's as in Transparent and not transitioning (from Charcoal?).
Yes, that's the only way I've ever seen "Trans." used in Guild's color naming, but most of my source material's from the '90's.
On the other hand, I think if it was a "transition effect" they'd just call it a "burst", like the oddball D4 we saw with a "Silver Burst" a while back:
https://reverb.com/item/3921387-guild-d4-1995-silver-burst
zvgmmumlwj4xug2j5wdj.jpg

Definitely "outside the envelope".
And in fact on my new LCD monitor it looks just about as brown as Grot's Pilot; hardly "Silver" at all, except for the pickguard.
The first time I saw it a few years back on a traditional CRT monitor (and obsolescent video card) it did look more silver/gray.
Further complicating things is that it looks like the same pigments may have been given different names at different periods.
:eek-new:

Now that I read the rest of the posts, I see this HAS become a color discussion!. Absolutely would benefit from direct sunlight. You may also want to make sure your "Camera" is set correctly, even most phones have a "White Balance" sometimes simply choices between indoor/outdoor or incandescent/fluorescent/sunlight/candlelight/etc. And of course, as I mentioned "Pretty Wood", Maple will take the color differently than other woods like poplar or mahogany.

Also a very good note, especially about fluorescent light, it's the worst: it can add anything from green to red to yellow to blue tint to an object.

Last edited:

katthestar

Reaction score
It’s actually a refinished bass. I’m not sure what color it is, but I don’t think it’s an actual Guild color. My luthier looked at it and also noted that it’s been shaved down by 1/8” on the inner top corner. The neck was also finished at some point. I’ll take another picture. It’s a dark blue with hints of green due to the poplar body.