Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guild Pilot

u missed one

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    u missed one
    Touche!

I was aware of it (it showed up on D25's, too) but it was far enough removed from the subject color that I elected to try to keep the examples as selective as possible.

And I'm still curious to see a shot of "Charcoal" or if new shots of the Pilot come back much "bluer".
    I was even wondering if Grot's might actually be "Charcoal" over maple because it's got a distinct dark "tannish" hue on my tube....
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by katthestar View Post
    Itís a dark blue with hints of green due to the poplar wood. I thought it was a refin, but I have seen another Guild bass with the same color, just not in person. I think itís called translucent blue.
    There was a 'Woodgrain Blue' during that particular period. Here's what it would look like on a maple-bodied instrument:

On a poplar body that color could very well look like the finish on your bass.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl

here is the the link to the Hans/2Nevets Blues 90 with many different photos of the finish in different light. I think this is the charcoal over maple

https://reverb.com/item/171609-guild-blues-90-bluesbird

Quote Originally Posted by mavuser View Post
    here is the the link to the Hans/2Nevets Blues 90 with many different photos of the finish in different light. I think this is the charcoal over maple

https://reverb.com/item/171609-guild-blues-90-bluesbird
    Thanks!
    Actually I'm not seeing any blue in there at all, it looks a whole lot like Twocorgi's fretless to me (and reinforces my suspicion that Grot's "mystery color" is actually Charcoal too.)
    I'd never think of that as "Charcoal", I'd think of it as some kind of "brown".
    But you and I have already done brown.....
    Al
    All bought new!

Iíll try and get a picture in the sun light tomorrow when the sun comes out. My luthier is in Westerly, and I think he has some records, though Iím not sure. Iíll see if he knows what the color name is. I think Hansís picture and name are probably the correct ones. I like how this turned into a color discussion.

Blog Entries
    I like how this turned into a color discussion.
    One of the ways things work around here is that I will make a strong statement, based upon memory or experience, and it will be unintentionally factually incomplete or incorrect. Depending on who catches me first there will be a gentle or a pointed correction and then we're off. In this case I really have no recollection of seeing "your" finish before but I have seen pics of Sandy's and Kurt's basses so what is really going on is the differences in color perception due to photograph lighting and display calibration. Pretty fun and I hope I will remember part of it the next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

My luthier is in Westerly, and I think he has some records, though I’m not sure.
    Aha! I remembered he worked there but that clarifies things. I'm sure he'll remember that color name, it's kind of unusual.
    I’ll see if he knows what the color name is. I think Hans’s picture and name are probably the correct ones.
    I'd be mighty surprised if your luthier doesn't agree with Hans.
    That pic he posted looks exactly like yours, on my display.
    Last edited by adorshki; 10-12-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

According to my luthier, itís called translucent blue. I did mean to ask him how many Pilots had that color, but didnít get a chance. I had to bring him some Grover tuners for the M-85 project bass, and I put my Fender up for consignment.