Stupid dogs

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last night our two big curly Goldendoodles found some rotting vermin in the back yard and rolled around in it. As soon as they came in the whole house smelled like badly decomposing rodents.

Mrs. Dread and I had to herd them into the shower stall and give them a bath with lemon-scented dish drops.

First thing this morning I went out back with them and found the source of the stink: 2 putrefied chipmunks, I think. Tossed 'em in the woods over the fence, if I didn't get rid of the source they'd be right back rolling in it.

Stupid dogs.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Might not be too stupid. Better than attacking porcupines or skunks, both of which I am intimately familiar with.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
C´mon

Them pooches are only behaving as they are expected ( NOT by us !!! ) - I remember when some two decades ago our Lab managed to fall on her left side and roll in exactly the only spot along our three-mile route. Shower was next - thanks whoever - Labs love water, so no problem. She for sure was happy.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Dread - it could have been worse. They might have brought them in for you as a "present"!
A few weeks back one of ours just stopped in the middle of the family room and quietly regurgitated what was left of a bird onto the floor. At least I was home to clean it up promptly. That is what the dogs do for you.....

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
. . . porcupines or skunks, both of which I am intimately familiar with.

Someone with wild imagination might find some "interesting" sidelines on this. :barbershop_quartet_

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is nothing worse to a dog than smelling like a dog. In their minds you ruined everything!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Brings back memories of me bird (quail) hunting with my dad with our "pointer" breed bird dogs. It never failed - running across a dead varment on our hunting trips and and those dogs ALWAYS wallered in the decay as if it was an expected ritual.
I would, gladly, swap the stink for 5 minutes with my dad to let him know I turned out alright and his two grandsons did, too.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Amen on that, Stu. If misery loves company... I miss my dad more than I can say. And, yeah, my two sons turned out pretty well too, though neither of them plays a Guild. :)

Anyway, I've been considering teaching my 1.5yr old golden to hunt, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. A bunch of my buddies from my club hunt (I'm an avid trapshooter), but going after the birdies just doesn't seem too likely at this point. My golden is incredibly well behaved; can't imagine him hunting really.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Amen on that, Stu. If misery loves company... I miss my dad more than I can say. And, yeah, my two sons turned out pretty well too, though neither of them plays a Guild. :)

Anyway, I've been considering teaching my 1.5yr old golden to hunt, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. A bunch of my buddies from my club hunt (I'm an avid trapshooter), but going after the birdies just doesn't seem too likely at this point. My golden is incredibly well behaved; can't imagine him hunting really.
All the Goldens I have been around were extremely smart and all "took to" one person, in particular. Use to be an avid duck hunter but have not pointed a gun at a living thing in years.
Guilds are taking all my time. Ha
Have bought two D40s - one '69 listed and one '71 Ghost label not listed in signature. Have a friend with very nice D55 and he wants to trade for the '69 but wants too much boot. He will have to lower his boot request because I love the '69 D40, also.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
At least their mama Koko didn't roll in the rotten carcasses.

She's the blond one.

u0eGq0i.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is nothing worse to a dog than smelling like a dog. In their minds you ruined everything!

Man, don't I know Gary! Corgis (especially the girls) love getting extra stinky, and have the added advantage of being so low to the ground that they can drop a shoulder in a millisecond. They're also known for their disapproving glares while you're bathing them (again, also the girls).

Recently I got serious about it, and bought one of these, and it's a huge improvement over the previous one. The great equalizer!

900.jpg

Brucebubs

Reaction score
I heard a story from a man who worked a team of horses.
On cold frosty days his dogs would walk besides the horses and deliberately duck behind the horse's if they raised their tails so they would be showered in warm horse poop.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last night our two big curly Goldendoodles found some rotting vermin in the back yard and rolled around in it. As soon as they came in the whole house smelled like badly decomposing rodents ...

Instinctual behavior to mask their scent for hunting purposes. We have not been able to breed it out of them yet.

Sort of like my instinctual behavior to mark territory when I'm at a cookout or when it snows.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Richard, we kept 2 of her 35 puppies (3 litters over 3 years.)

1st litter:

Bx6kVCf.jpg

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Dred, I think you need to clip around their eyes a bit. BTW, dogs roll in that stuff for a reason....to camouflage themselves.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Few prey run away from dead things. Years ago, while walking near Big Bear Lake, our dog thought dead carp with the exact smell she needed to have. We drove home with the windows down.

MLBob

Reaction score
When our Labs get "skunked," we have always used a simple mix of hydrogen peroxide, dish liquid, and water to get rid of the smell. Just sponge it on while keeping it away from their eyes. Rinse & repeat.

Ah, our dogs!

sErb7KU.jpg
[/IMG]

Bob