Buying On The Internet

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
PS -

Clyde talked about ratings and reviews of sellers. Those are great, but I've also found that people who are new to online selling and don't have feedback records are a pretty safe bet if (if if if if if!) everything else stacks up.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
PS -

Clyde talked about ratings and reviews of sellers. Those are great, but I've also found that people who are new to online selling and don't have feedback records are a pretty safe bet if (if if if if if!) everything else stacks up.

Hey Charlie,
Those were just general guidelines to minimize the risk. Obviously each transaction is different. Often, your instincts are the best defense just by talking to the seller over the phone. If the seller has no prior sales and no feedback, I'd be extra careful and make sure I could return the guitar if needed.

Cheers!

Last edited:

LAP57

Reaction score
hello, and welcome. i’ve never seen or known of a Guild D55ce. if this is what u meant, could you please post a link to that guitar? did u mean D-50 ce? or D-5ce?

Thanks, I did mean D50CE. I edited my original post to correct that.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I did mean D50CE. I edited my original post to correct that.
HI "LA" welcome aboard!
"IIRC" D50ce's are kinda rare and only made in Corona and New Hartford.
We've seen fair number of Coronas that Fender liquidated through an outfit known as MIRC when they closed Corona.
Usually they're readily identified by a sticker placed over the s/n on the label, and if removal is attempted, it pulls the paper off with it.
If you see something like that, now you know what it is, but the buyer's explanation may give you some insight into either their honesty or their knowledgeability about the instrument.
I didn't read all posts in this thread but in case it wasn't said yet, if you see something you're interested in don't be afraid to ask here for feedback.
:friendly_wink:

rwmct

Reaction score
Let's not forgot buying from members of this forum. I bought my 2011 F-30 Std. from a forum member, who had previously bought it from another forum member who bought it new. I am skittish about buying guitars on line (though often you have little choice if you want something specific) and took some confidence from the fact that I was dealing with someone who was a regular on the forum. And I the original owner was available to tell me things like when and where he bought it.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Hey Charlie,
Those were just general guidelines to minimize the risk. Obviously each transaction is different. Often, your instincts are the best defense just by talking to the seller over the phone. If the seller has no prior sales and no feedback, I'd be extra careful and make sure I could return the guitar if needed.

Cheers!
Yup! Wasn't disagreeing, just expanding. (My wife calls it male pissing-on-the-same-hydrant.)

Rickenmaxer

Reaction score
Guild Total
Being a Rickenbacker and Guild guy, I'm rarely afforded the opportunity to try before buying...even in most larger metro areas (Chicago, NY, and LA excepted), they're hard to find in person. Putting your trust in build quality and reputable sellers has worked for me. Finding guitars for sale through user forums such as this is a huge advantage...buying from people who know and love these guitars. Follow the best practices that Clyde and others have reiterated and make sure you have a return option in case there is something wrong or you just don't bond with the instrument. Enjoy the search and good luck.