NGD : Oxnard M20e Vintage Burst

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I sold an F-40 and used the money to fund a new M-20 recently (2018). I'm playing more fingerstyle blues lately and thought it would be a good fit. I liked it in the store (but I tend to like everything in the store), but then was a little disappointed when I got home. I kept playing it for a week or two and it continued to grow on me. Then a week or so ago I changed the strings. (I put the same type on that it came with, so I wasn't expecting anything different.) After the string change it sounded like a whole different guitar. The low E was present in the mix. It still has its boxy midrange, but there's more fullness to it.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I sold an F-40 and used the money to fund a new M-20 recently (2018). I'm playing more fingerstyle blues lately and thought it would be a good fit. I liked it in the store (but I tend to like everything in the store), but then was a little disappointed when I got home. I kept playing it for a week or two and it continued to grow on me. Then a week or so ago I changed the strings. (I put the same type on that it came with, so I wasn't expecting anything different.) After the string change it sounded like a whole different guitar. The low E was present in the mix. It still has its boxy midrange, but there's more fullness to it.

Hey Oki,
All of my guitars sound livelier after a string change. But after the "freshness" wares off, the inherent natural tone of the guitar sets in.
String change aside, I just did not bond with this guitar. But that doesn't mean others won't.
Different strokes for different folks!
Enjoy your m20 :)

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
Of course. I'm kind of strange too in that my tastes change over time. I have had two m-120's years back. Loved them for a bit...then I didn't and switched over to a JF30. Similarly, loved it for a bit and then went to a dred then f40 before returning back to the m-20. The guy who ran the shop near my house used to say, "You like what you like and that's all that matters." Size, shape, name on the headstock...none of it matters if you don't like the sound coming out.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Thanks Stu,
I wonder how others would qualify their experience with the Ox M20 vs vintage M20... Two different animals?

I've not gotten my hands on the OX M20. I do have a vintage M20. I do understand that some would pick up my M20 and describe somewhat of a lack of low end...perhaps some boxiness...surely...especially after they've been playing a dread, OM, 000 etc. That said, I've always felt that my M20 had more to offer...despite the limitation of its obviously small size. It just has 'it'. My M20 is always my go-to guitar when I am working on learning something new....or even just fiddling around. Once I get in on the M20 I do try out the song(s) on other guitars...guitars that sound entirely differently....but I always go back to the M20...for the 'it' factor...and as my daily fiddler. Mavuser once said it best about the old M20's....he said 'you play small' on them. It took me a while to really understand Mav's simple statement but he is so right. The M20 is a lovely little box and its made to be played sweetly (if not gently) where it really shines. You can dig in to it....but frankly other guitars are much more suited to that task. It is what it is...and should be played as such. If there is room in your repertoire to play a guitar in such a way....the M20 can be very rewarding imo. You will always pick up a fuller bodied guitar afterwards and hear things that you completely miss with an M-20...but while playing a good M20 your ears will not be left lacking anything at all.

I was in Nashville recently and had the opportunity to play some Martins that I hadn't previously had the opportunity (Gruhn's). I purchased a 000-18 awhile back but pondered a 00-18 or even a 0-18. Unable to A/B them where I live...I purchased the 000 for obvious reasons...as I wanted a smaller guitar but didn't want to sound boxy or without sufficient bass. The 00-18 at Gruhn's was lovely and didn't give much of 'it' up at all...and at a lovely small size. The 0-18 was also very sweet and enjoyable to play....for all the reasons that I love the M20...but it isn't a guitar made for a heavy hand either. The M-20 is even smaller than the 0-18....or at least has a thinner body (different shape too). These little guitars are just that....little guitars....not for everybody I s'pose....but a good one is a very sweet little guitar. I should say that the 0-18 is by all accounts a 'better' guitar than my vintage M-20....but I wouldn't have traded them even-steven for my M-20 (nor would they offer to do so). IMO a good vintage M-20 with 'it' is really a good friend. That 0-18 was a sweet little thing too....but didn't have 'it'. I'm not sure everyone would sense 'it' while piddling with my M-20 for just a quick strum either....its all perspective.

There are very few guitars that I've come across that are very small bodied and which have 'it'. Gruhn's had a Collings (I think they called it a 'parlor') that was very small and simply divine. I was shocked at its size, weight, and the sound that emanated. It was one of the best new guitars in the store imo and it was also $5600 :(

I keep a good dread here too....and I like to play it and enjoy its growl.....but I play the smaller and short scale guitars far more often. They don't growl like a dread....but a good one should deliver a great deal of satisfaction. I have no doubt that you'll find an M-20 or similar that will have 'it' for you too. As likely has already been stated, the OX M20 has that 1 3/4" nut that you like....while the vintage has an extra narrow 1 9/16". I play guitars with both nut widths and happen to like (if not prefer) the smaller.....but this is a deal killer for many.

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
I loved my old M20's and regret selling for all the reasons Kit mentioned, and almost went over the $$ top the other day to get one back in the house, but, again, in the process re-awakened the seller to the 'it' he was giving up. He sent me a crazy low offer on his '57 and I broke a sweat looking at my PPal credit limit, still having not yet made a payment on my recent F30 find. He was selling for family financial stress too, which takes some joy off the top. When he went to take some string height measurements for me, he ended up playing it for a while, which was the kiss of death for my deal. I'm happy for him, though. He dumped a Martin for bigger bucks.

You do play these 'small' and get a special 'chime' from them, maybe due to the thinness of the top among other things. My little mahog L0 from the 30's doesn't have that character.

The first new guitar I ever bought was an Ox M40, two years ago. While it was more restrained (if that means boxey), it was well balanced and not thin sounding, but not bass-ey. Bet that's true hog or spruce. I kept getting the feeling that the top was opening up nicely though, with my flat pick/strum style, a pretty good prognosis. I didn't keep it but I feel it was an excellent thousand dollar guitar. Good luck finding one now for a grand. Super comfortable to my hand, too.

Like most of the guitars I've owned, I wish I could have it back.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Glad to see there's some love out there for both Ox and Hobo m20s. I admit I didn't think of trying 11s on it as Mav suggested. Maybe it would have made a difference. But I still don't think this one had "it" as Kit very eloquently described his experience with his Hobo m20. Maybe I'll get a chance to try another one at a certain point. For now, I've pressed the "pause" button on my GAS to focus my energy on my new project, building my basement "man cave" studio :)