Question About Wall Hangers

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No, but it can change a short scale guitar to long scale. :emmersed:
And, if you leave them hanging too long...

da5786c7-de73-46b7-bac3-efee97d1a7f6.jpeg

(I don’t use them, so can’t really say.)

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
I have never made peace with having an awesome guitar four feet off the floor. Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I keep my guitars on floor stands in my music room, where they are fun to look at and easily accessible, yet unlikely to fall. They line one wall, so they are not in the way. The cases go to the basement until needed.

I have seen examples of bad reactions between hangers and the nitro on a guitar neck/headstock. My F-50 was evidently hung on a wall for a while. But a neck joint issue from hanging? Unlikely.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've never made peace with having an instrument that was not in its case or in the hands of someone playing it. That said, I've never heard of anyone claiming a structural problem was caused by storage in a wall hanger. The fact that guitar factories routinely hang instruments from the neck and music stores use wall hangers for display suggests to me that there are no structural concerns.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I’ve used wall hangers for all my guitars for about 25 years now. 0 problems.

Funny, I’m the opposite of you guys; floor stands scare me. If someone stumbles or swings a case the wrong way, disaster! I think they’re much safer up out of the way on the wall.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ve used wall hangers for all my guitars for about 25 years now. 0 problems.

Funny, I’m the opposite of you guys; floor stands scare me. If someone stumbles or swings a case the wrong way, disaster! I think they’re much safer up out of the way on the wall.

Floor stands scare me too. That's why I prefer the case. If I couldn't use cases I'd probably have a mix - one floor stand for the instrument I was most likely to play on the spur of the moment and everything else in wall hangers (unless all the wall hangers were about 6 feet off the floor which starts getting scary again).

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Getting serious now, the thing I don’t like about leaving guitars out, either on hangers or stands, is the increased oxidation on the strings and other metal, plus the affect of humidity changes on the wood. (Those dead strings at GC must have been live once.) In the case, when not being played, they’re, to my mind, more protected from the environment (and a lot less dusty and cat furry).

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't use wall hangers for my more valuable pieces. They stay in their cases tuned down a whole step to reduce neck tension.

I do use wall hangers for about 20 guitars I tend to play regularly. However, I have seen some finish issues related to certain wall hangers. I buy good ones and then wrap the arms in yarn (heavily) so the gloss finish does not touch the hanger arms. Haven't had a problem yet.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree with the oxidation issue, but I have guitars on hangers in my office. Screw them into the studs or know what you're doing if you mount them on sheetrock and the guitars will hang forever. I consider them vastly superior to floor stands but I also don't have valuable guitars on them just in case.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
In continuous rotation on the wall in the music room... keeps things interesting :love-struck:

j0nbfP.jpg

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hangers or floor stands...the cases are in the storage closest and used only for transport.
Never had any problems that could be blamed on hangers.

I like being able to see them and grab them when I'm wanting/needing a fix. :love-struck:

Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No, but it can change a short scale guitar to long scale. :emmersed:
And, if you leave them hanging too long...

da5786c7-de73-46b7-bac3-efee97d1a7f6.jpeg

(I don’t use them, so can’t really say.)

Oh that is too funny! Chris, you made me choke on my lunch!

walrus

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rich - hog D25s from Corona and Westerly, with a D17 out front - thanks for asking!

Just did a couple of google image searches for guitar wall rack and guitar wall hanger,
a bunch of interesting things show up - some cool DIY stuff out there too.

My wall rack is String Swing unit - made in USA, very pleased with it.
https://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-SW5RL-C-K-Guitar-Hangers/dp/B00JDP3J10

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Rich - hog D25s from Corona and Westerly, with a D17 out front - thanks for asking!

Just did a couple of google image searches for guitar wall rack and guitar wall hanger,
a bunch of interesting things show up - some cool DIY stuff out there too.

My wall rack is String Swing unit - made in USA, very pleased with it.
https://www.amazon.com/String-Swing-SW5RL-C-K-Guitar-Hangers/dp/B00JDP3J10

Bonneville, Why do you have so many D25's? I can understand that you like their tone and volume. There's a D-25 player with a pickup in it at one of the open mics I go to, and it always sounds so good. Still, I don't understand why you would want say 2 of the same from Corona or Westerly. Anyway, everyone to their own taste of course.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bonneville, Why do you have so many D25's? I can understand that you like their tone and volume. There's a D-25 player with a pickup in it at one of the open mics I go to, and it always sounds so good. Still, I don't understand why you would want say 2 of the same from Corona or Westerly. Anyway, everyone to their own taste of course.

Personal operating principle: You can never have too many of any model. Of course, many say I'm also not that bright.