Ngd: 2012 f-30r

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats. Yesterday was a very good day indeed !

Neal

Reaction score
The gloss neck plot thickens...

Just heard back from the seller. The neck has not been modified in any way since it left New Hartford.

Charliea's post in the thread to which Frono refers above documents that he had not one, but two Standard Series Guilds with a gloss neck. That would suggest that this is not as uncommon an occurrence as I initially thought.

Charliea, if you're out there, can you weigh in on the serial #'s for those two guitars? Same batch, perhaps?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tons of value. For that matter, I always like the plainer rosewood headstock faceplate that they used for these.

They didn't skimp on wood at all, Neal. My F-212XL has a silky Sitka top too.

I second that Chazmo! I have yet to see a set of wood on a Standard Series Guild from New Hartford that wasn't just beautiful. The top on my 2011 F212XL has a beautiful silking with some bear claw to it and the Real Mahogany back is actually Figured and Bookmatched. I haven't even seen that on their Traditional series models.

TX

Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/15324450-guild-f30r-w-ohc-2012

The tone is chimy, loud, balanced, resonant. In a word, great! And the playability, with the 1 3/4" nut, is superb. Drop D, in particular, is just a joy.

It should be mentioned that the F30 Standard and F30R Standard guitars also have a slightly wider string spacing at the bridge (2 5/32") that add to the "superb" playability of these guitars. I too play a lot of songs in Drop D.

Initially I was a bit bummed that my F30 Standard and F30R Standard came with satin necks in lieu of gloss. But I now much prefer the satin necks as they are much smoother and less sticky for my hands to navigate up and down the neck; it's kind of humid where I live. For some it doesn't matter.

I made mention in another thread that the F30R Standard is the best Guild I have ever owned. I got to A/B two different 60th anniversary all Koa F30 Guilds against my F30R Standard, and truthfully if I was limited to only one guitar, I'd still go with my F30R Standard. Hopefully for you, your F30R Standard will rank up there with the best of your Guilds too.

Tommy

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't seen charliea around for quite some time, Neal. In any case, yeah, I guess gloss necks were "a thing." :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haven't seen charliea around for quite some time, Neal. In any case, yeah, I guess gloss necks were "a thing." :)

yeah, i miss that dude. hope he is well and still playing his plethora of Guild 12 strings.

Neal

Reaction score
That's just lovely! One of my bucket-list guitars! Enjoy!

Well, I tell you what, Stormin, I had to bide my time for over two years to find this one.

I was starting to lose hope of ever capturing the elusive 1 3/4" nut of a New Hartford F-30R Standard. What a joy to play with that extra bit of room!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Neal, Did only the NH f30 standards have the 1-3/4 neck or did others as well?

Neal

Reaction score

As far as New Hartford F-30's are concerned, only the Standard (both rosewood and mahogany versions) had a 1 3/4" nut.

The more expensive F-30 Aragon, a truly terrific guitar with a red spruce top, was 1 11/16". And I do not believe that an Aragon was made with rosewood back and sides.

There may have been a limited number of GSR's that were 1 3/4. Not sure.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Neal- looks like a real nice F-30R. glad it found the road to your door. congrats!

HeyMkiey- the Oxnard M-20 has a 1 3/4 nut, also a very nice guitar if u are open to mahogany top and back.

Neal

Reaction score
I believe that the new M-20 is short scale as well. Double bonus!

if I did not own a Gibson L-0, (all hog 12-fret parlor), I would be shopping for an M-20 right now.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Not sure this answers the question but the F30 Standards came with a 1 3/4" nut and the F30 Traditionals from the corresponding time period came with a 1 11/16" nut.