Guild Sighting on The Voice

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I watch The Voice because She Who Must Be Obeyed decreed it "must see TV" in our house.

Watched the first couple of minutes of tonight's episode and the first contestant, David Fenley is playing a well-worn and great-looking tobacco-burst Guild dreadnought.

First Guild I can recall seeing.

[video=youtube;ynZDdBsA9Rs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=15&v=ynZDdBsA9Rs[/video]

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I watch The Voice because She Must Be Obeyed has decreed it "must see TV" in our house.

Watch the first couple of minutes of tonight's episode and the first contestant, David Fenley is playing a well-worn and great-looking tobacco-burst Guild dreadnought.

First Guild I can recall seeing.

This is one of those times where it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a D40 and D50 from pics alone.
But something I can't quite put my finger on (is that a black pickguard?) is making me lean towards mid-to-late '70's D50, like this eBay example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GUILD-1978-D-50-Sunburst-Used-/273482479385
I was thinking it might be the 3-ring rosette, but an image search shows same era D40's with a 3-ring, too.

PittPastor

Reaction score
This is one of those times where it's almost impossible to tell the difference between a D40 and D50 from pics alone.
But something I can't quite put my finger on (is that a black pickguard?) is making me lean towards mid-to-late '70's D50, like this eBay example:
I was thinking it might be the 3-ring rosette, but an image search shows same era D40's with a 3-ring, too.

IDK. My 1980 D40 has a black pick guard and 3-ring rosette... That looks like mine without the cutout.

BTW, just watched the video... man what that pick was allowed to do to that poor Guild is criminal.

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
man what that pick was allowed to do to that poor Guild is criminal.

It's not nearly as bad as Glen Hansard's (The Frames) guitar...

Oscar+Wilde+Awards+2017+I7orrCubBevx.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That guy is competing with Willie Nelson!

walrus

Mark WW

Reaction score
Rarely see a Guild on that show. I thought maybe the Bug Guns like Fender Taylor or Gibson (pre-bankruptcy) sponsored the contestant because a lot of them play these brands shiny new!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
great voice, great guitar. maybe I will have a hole in the Br one of these years. doubt it.

Last edited:

katthestar

Reaction score
I’m sad that they make them already worn, but not surprised. If I’m buying something new, I want it to look new. If I get a used guitar, I don’t want it to look like someone beat it up.