F-50 on Norman’s GOTD

ClydeTower

Reaction score
he doesn't play nearly well enough to be showing what these high end guitars are capable of.

Since you're willing to criticize this person's playing abilities, maybe you should show us how its done and post a video or sound clip of your own.

Last edited:

Tico

Reaction score
Since you're willing to criticize this person's playing abilities, maybe you should show us how its done and post a video or sound clip of your own.

I'm not employed by a high end guitar dealer demonstrating high end guitars.
Such an employee should have the skill to bring out the best in such guitars.

At times judging others is appropriate.
We all do it.

The person who never judges lets his 14 year old daughter "date" the 50-year old homeless guy who lives under the bridge.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Rolling eyes and slapping forehead.

I don't make my living demonstrating high end guitars for a high end dealer.
Such an employee should bring out the best in expensive guitars.

Judging others is at times appropriate.
We all do it.
The person who doesn't judge lets his 16 year old daughter "date" the 50-year old homeless guy who lives under the bridge.

Funny, I don't think I've ever heard anyone on this forum criticize another player in such a way, whomever they may be. Which is why I enjoy this forum, people here have respect. Personally, I find your comments and the way you present them disrespectful. If you have nothing good to say about this person, better not say anything.

I have nothing else to add.

Last edited:

Tico

Reaction score
Funny, I don't think I've ever herd anyone on this forum criticize another player in such a way, whomever they may be. Which is why I enjoy this forum, people here have respect. Personally, I find your comment and the way you present it disrespectful. If you have nothing good to say about this person, better not say anything.

I have nothing else to add.

How nice you don't judge.

Neal

Reaction score
Well, I will acknowledge that I started it all by calling him annoying...

Personally, I think Normans, and a lot of other sellers of high end guitars, would be well served by taking a cue from Carters, Eddies, Dream and SoundPure, who take care to produce high-quality recordings of their guitars, often played by well-known artists.

The fact is that a cellphone or handheld video camera is a poor way to show off an expensive guitar. I like that Normans occasionally will showcase a young upcoming artist, but the sound quality on all their stuff is just dreadful.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I think Agnesi was due a little criticism for that performance. Criticism is not disrespect.

Cougs, there's a fine line between criticism and disrespect. You can be critical of someone's performance in a respectful way (as others have in this thread), or you can say it this way:

Watching him is almost as grating on the nerves as watching Martin's Diane Ponzo. :hopelessness:
Plus he doesn't play nearly well enough to be showing what these high end guitars are capable of.

which to me strikes an arrogant and disrespectful tone which is unnecessary but typical of armchair critics that easily put down what others do but don't have the courage to do it themselves. One of the reasons people appreciate LTG is the discourse is generally good natured. You can voice your opinion, which is fine, but do it in a respectful way is all I'm saying. If the person we're talking about was someone you personally knew, or a member here on LTG, you might find the comment somewhat abrasive. It's a small world, you never know, but maybe Diane Ponzo's cousin is a member here on LTG...

That's just "my" opinion, I don't want to start a flame war with this member, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just watched the demo again. I'll say this -working at Normans and demo'ing guitars
has gotta be a fun gig, I'd trade places with Mark any day!
And a question about the strumming part, which I thought sounded great btw - was that in open E?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Just watched the demo again. I'll say this -working at Normans and demo'ing guitars
has gotta be a fun gig, I'd trade places with Mark any day!
And a question about the strumming part, which I thought sounded great btw - was that in open E?

Sounds like open D to me

stormin1155

Reaction score
It may not be the best demo playing, but I enjoyed it because I thought...."Oooo, I could play that!" As another poster stated, his job is to sell guitars, and I will tell you that if I had the $$, I'd be on my way to Norman's in a flash! The fact that he didn't exhibit world class virtuoso playing was irrelevant. Really bad playing is a turn-off for me, but mediocre playing is fine because I can relate to it.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And, if you listen to the GOTD videos regularly, he does have some serious chops. One thing he does, which I really appreciate, is he tries to tailor his song picks to the guitar and it’s famous players. If you’ve watched any of the demos from Wildwood guitars, Greg Koch is a great player, but he plays the same thing on every guitar. Tele - Chicken pickin’, Strat - Chicken pickin’, Les Paul - surely not, but, yep, Chicken pickin’! (Yes, he does some other stuff, but that’s the majority.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just gotta say, Mark is a very nice guy, and he really plays well. He doesn’t have anything worked out before doing the videos, he just sits and plays whatever. I’ve been there a few times on video day.
The g/f and I have purchased guitars from Norman’s over the last few years, and Mark has always been the one to make the deal happen!
He’s not playing to impress anyone with his chops, he’s just trying to give you an idea of how the guitar plays and sounds.
I think he does a good job.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sounds like open D to me

Yeah agree D but the original was open E :)

As to his playing ain’t nothing but a thing , I’m leaving on a jet plane seems to played differently then he plays it . I think he’s adding in the vocal notes where John basically plays the melody or strumming chords but maybe I got it wrong .

Either way it’s obvious he has not played it much maybe he wanted us to hear some single noting and that’s why he played that way .

Anyway I think the guitar needed a good set up as well with a new nut and saddle from what I hear the high E was having a bit of sitar’n going on and the low E tuned to drop D was getting some fretting but of coarse that would be normal with medium to low action height and or a hard strum.

I think to an experienced player he got the point across yes ? Worked for me :)

F312

Reaction score
I just gotta say, Mark is a very nice guy, and he really plays well. He doesn’t have anything worked out before doing the videos, he just sits and plays whatever. I’ve been there a few times on video day.
The g/f and I have purchased guitars from Norman’s over the last few years, and Mark has always been the one to make the deal happen!
He’s not playing to impress anyone with his chops, he’s just trying to give you an idea of how the guitar plays and sounds.
I think he does a good job.

Very well said.

Ralph

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just gotta say, Mark is a very nice guy, and he really plays well.

He's a hip manic, LOL! I was blown away by (and bookmarked) his playing of that Led Zep piece Over the Hills on an old F412! (I think that's the name of that one.) Go out to minute 4:18 if you want to skip his intro to the F412 he's selling ("This is not for collectors. It should be in the recording studio....")

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
killer version of that Zep song. super clean! sounds great on a F412.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
He's a hip manic, LOL! I was blown away by (and bookmarked) his playing of that Led Zep piece Over the Hills on an old F412! (I think that's the name of that one.) Go out to minute 4:18 if you want to skip his intro to the F412 he's selling ("This is not for collectors. It should be in the recording studio....")

+1 Awesome!

Rickenmaxer

Reaction score
Guild Total
I will say this about Norm's and Mark and the whole team there: I'm in LA every other year or so, and my wife and I made a pilgrimage to Norm's two years ago. Besides having the best selection of used Rickenbackers west of the Mississippi, it was one my best experiences visiting a high-end guitar shop. No condescension, no indication that I was punching above my weight class...Instead both Mark and Norm kept encouraging me to try anything that caught my eye. No asking for permission, no looking beyond velvet ropes at the higher end guitars (yeah, I'm thinking about you, Ed Roman)...help yourself and grab anything you like. Mark confirmed they were low on USA Guilds on that visit but told me to keep an eye online. My wife talked to Norm about the store and his book, and it was just a fantastic experience. Looking forward to going back next year!