Gabor Szabo

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Because of this recent thread, I've been digging deeper into Gabor Szabo:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ounds-on-their-acoustic&highlight=gabor+szabo

The live performance link that I posted myself has been mesmerizing me! I actually had not seen that until I just posted it. I've been known to play (or try to!) some jazz on my D64 - I'm blown away by watching and listening to him play jazz/rock/etc on a dreadnought - wild!

Here's a question - the DeArmond soundhole pickup he uses - did he make that himself? Did/does DeArmond sell those?

walrus

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've been a fan of his for 50 years, very distinctive style. As to the soundhole pickup, I don't know about the particular one he used in the video, but DeArmond marketed a variety of soundhole P/U in the '60s. I have one that I got, probably '69, although I think it is microphonic and not magnetic.
Brad

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Gabor was a superhero. He does some really incredible things and a lot of it is so subtle and with such feeling. I remember shortly after I first was exposed to his music, I found a video of a performance by him that looked to be filmed for a TV show and I remember it being so incredibly good... it was before I knew any of his tunes by name... the only thing I remember specifically is that the bassist (who was positioned pretty close behind Gabor on the stage) was playing a natural finished Gibson Grabber or one of the variations. It was deleted at some point and I've been dying to find it again. Maybe it's not even as great as I remember it, in context of his larger catalog that I'm familiar with now, but still would like to find it again someday.