Ngd: F-130

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Recently picked up a F-130 on Reverb. Amazing seller, nice to talk with, shipped fast so it got out before the hurricane (was from NC), and arrived well. It is a second, has used stamped into the headstock back. Best of knowledge is a finish blem according to the seller. Can’t find anything wrong with it (save a couple of dings in the top I’m sure are from use ).
It has a beautiful grain in the spruce top. Though I would have loved a burst, the grain I thisnmakes natural play. The mahogany on the back is matched so well is hard to find the center seam. It has a 3d like effect to the wood grain pattern, and looms pretty spectacular. I’d eventually like to change the pickguard to a tortoise color, but it doesn’t look horrible with the black. I threw on some bone with abalone pins I had, look much better than the plastic it came with to my eyes. I like the inflated rosette. The fretboard on this particular one has. Nice striping to it. The tuners are passable and hold tune, but an upgrade would be nice. Something smoother. Love the feel of a satin neck, and this one is wonderfully smooth and has no sharp feet ends. Also, came with the original TKL case, which is a beautiful burgundy lined case with an arched top to it.
The tone is wonderful. I can feel the vibration while playing it. It’s responsive and snappy, and amazingly well balanced. Being used to a dreadnaught there’s less bass than I’m used to, but the bass balances extremely well with the mids and highs. It has a very pleasing tone and works great for singing and harmonizing. The body size is amazingly comfortable for sitting on the couch, much better than my dreads. I played with a capo up to the fifth fret and it surprised me with how well it is intonated. Didn’t have any issues with tuning, even capoed or playing higher up.
All in all I would have loved an F-30, but I will likely be keeping this little guy for a very long time. For $325 shipped it is an absolute steal. The price also means I won’t be upset when it gets a few more marks and some wear and tear. Another great Guild to call my own!

Pictures, or it didn’t happen?

24y7ogh.jpg

j61ic4.jpg

t83t3d.jpg

2e68mlh.jpg

2i0fcp2.jpg

2567gjn.jpg

1xxz6f.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GUN:
That is a beautiful Guild and the wood grain looks, exceptionally, sparkling! And from your description, the looks is matched by the sound. Excellent pixs.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Replied to your post on AGF. Beautiful score! I need to get me one of these babies at some point too.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yep, congrats!
I just have to tease ya a little about that inflated rosette, that's probably why it's a second.
Also, I don't think that's actually the original case for that guitar, that's from post '01 US guitars.
My '03 D40 has the same little badge on the side of the neck, but don't recall if that was continued through Tacoma and NH.
Now that I think about it, I suspect it's a Tacoma or later case because they didn't make F30's in Corona, probably because they were already on the horizon to be one of the first GAD models.
Anyway, GAD's came with a tweed case that have been reported as inferior to the TKLs in fit and durability:
https://reverb.com/item/3497840-guild-tweed-acoustic-hard-case-from-gad-30
xzyparj5jamydupw7iv6.jpg

Oh, that's interesting, when I went to google that image, I got a return from Guild's own site, and it's now offering the black TKL cases for GAD's.
I assume the tweeds were discontinued , probably to no one's great regret, along with the actual GAD line, but it might explain why it's thought to be the original case.***
In my opinion you got a bonus upgrade with that case, unless you're a complete originality freak..
:friendly_wink:

EDIT ***OK, having done a little more digging, maybe I'm all wet and they started offering those cases late in the game, because I see at least 3 FS listings with 'em paired with the guitars.
Maybe they got enough complaints about the tweed cases that they started providing 'em with the "100 series" GAD's?
Or maybe this was coincidental with the announcement of the sale to Cordoba and the first thing allowed to run out or not get ordered were cases.
I note also that the current listing says they're compatible with the US-builts too, so now suspect they just started consolidating with one supplier for best economy and to offer replacement cases which were problematic for a while.

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
It's not a bad case, on the same token, it's not a good case.

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It's not a bad case, on the same token, it's not a good case.

Ralph

You mean the "tweed", right?
I actually kind of dig the look, if it weren't for the bad quality reports I'd be ok with 'em.
And see my edit, I probably was out-of-touch about when they started offering 'em with the GAD's.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've had several of the GAD tweed cases and haven't had any problems. I'm likely about to get another. I think I'm going to order a D 240E, Flamed Mahogany, acoustic from Sweetwater tonight. OOPS, cancel that. It actually comes with a Guild gig bag. (not at all a bad gig bag though) and I have quite a few spare Guild cases that will fit the guitar.

If ya'll get a chance to look at one tell me what you think. That flamed Mahogany looks pretty sweet to me. Yeah, I know, made in China and all that but for $449 or $10/month for 48 months how wrong can I go?? That'll be my knock around guitar when I head to a friends house or play the occasional set in one of the redneck dives here.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've had several of the GAD tweed cases and haven't had any problems. I'm likely about to get another. I think I'm going to order a D 240E, Flamed Mahogany, acoustic from Sweetwater tonight. OOPS, cancel that. It actually comes with a Guild gig bag.
Right, the Westerly Collection introduced the gig bag as the standard case.
QC complaints about the tweed cases were poor top-to-body fit, poor hinge and latch alignment (a couple of those) and poor durability of the tweed itself.
But no clue about how many were actually built to put the number of reports into real perspective so that's useful input.
If ya'll get a chance to look at one tell me what you think. That flamed Mahogany looks pretty sweet to me.
Oh I remember when Ralf brought the product announcement to our attention, I think it's spectacular stuff!
In fact Chazmo refused to believe it could actually be 'hog and I had to do some image searching to confirm such stuff existed myself.
I'm pretty darn sure it's one of the "African 'hogs", though, not that I have a problem with that.
These days it's wise to assume that it's an African variety unless it's specifically ID'd as Honduran or one of the "true" 'hogs.
I assume they're using the term generically on their website but that's not outside of industry practice or accepted usage of the term.
I guess it could also be an Asian-Pacific farmed swietenia, don't recall what the supply's like with that stuff.
Yeah, I know, made in China and all that but for $449 or $10/month for 48 months how wrong can I go?? That'll be my knock around guitar when I head to a friends house or play the occasional set in one of the redneck dives here.
Personally I still don't have a problem with actual price-to-performance value of MIC's, I just still think they'll forever be dogged by repair difficulty issues as I've mentioned elsewhere.
If that matters to a given buyer.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've had several of the GAD tweed cases and haven't had any problems. I'm likely about to get another. I think I'm going to order a D 240E, Flamed Mahogany, acoustic from Sweetwater tonight. OOPS, cancel that. It actually comes with a Guild gig bag. (not at all a bad gig bag though) and I have quite a few spare Guild cases that will fit the guitar.

If ya'll get a chance to look at one tell me what you think. That flamed Mahogany looks pretty sweet to me. Yeah, I know, made in China and all that but for $449 or $10/month for 48 months how wrong can I go?? That'll be my knock around guitar when I head to a friends house or play the occasional set in one of the redneck dives here.

It does look pretty seen it a while back . If they made the Om 120 in that I’d be on it ! Lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Recently picked up a F-130 on Reverb. Amazing seller, nice to talk with, shipped fast so it got out before the hurricane (was from NC), and arrived well. It is a second, has used stamped into the headstock back. Best of knowledge is a finish blem according to the seller. Can’t find anything wrong with it (save a couple of dings in the top I’m sure are from use ).
It has a beautiful grain in the spruce top. Though I would have loved a burst, the grain I thisnmakes natural play. The mahogany on the back is matched so well is hard to find the center seam. It has a 3d like effect to the wood grain pattern, and looms pretty spectacular. I’d eventually like to change the pickguard to a tortoise color, but it doesn’t look horrible with the black. I threw on some bone with abalone pins I had, look much better than the plastic it came with to my eyes. I like the inflated rosette. The fretboard on this particular one has. Nice striping to it. The tuners are passable and hold tune, but an upgrade would be nice. Something smoother. Love the feel of a satin neck, and this one is wonderfully smooth and has no sharp feet ends. Also, came with the original TKL case, which is a beautiful burgundy lined case with an arched top to it.
The tone is wonderful. I can feel the vibration while playing it. It’s responsive and snappy, and amazingly well balanced. Being used to a dreadnaught there’s less bass than I’m used to, but the bass balances extremely well with the mids and highs. It has a very pleasing tone and works great for singing and harmonizing. The body size is amazingly comfortable for sitting on the couch, much better than my dreads. I played with a capo up to the fifth fret and it surprised me with how well it is intonated. Didn’t have any issues with tuning, even capoed or playing higher up.
All in all I would have loved an F-30, but I will likely be keeping this little guy for a very long time. For $325 shipped it is an absolute steal. The price also means I won’t be upset when it gets a few more marks and some wear and tear. Another great Guild to call my own!

Pictures, or it didn’t happen?

24y7ogh.jpg

j61ic4.jpg

t83t3d.jpg

2e68mlh.jpg

2i0fcp2.jpg

2567gjn.jpg

1xxz6f.jpg

Congrats, looks great play it well :)

F312

Reaction score
You mean the "tweed", right?
I actually kind of dig the look, if it weren't for the bad quality reports I'd be ok with 'em.
And see my edit, I probably was out-of-touch about when they started offering 'em with the GAD's.

The tweed, yes. If you have to walk to your gigs, then this is the case for you, it's light.

Ralph

tommym

Reaction score
.......All in all I would have loved an F-30, but I will likely be keeping this little guy for a very long time. For $325 shipped it is an absolute steal.

Short of someone giving you this one, yes $325 shipped is indeed an absolute steal!

As far as you wanting a F30, I don't think you'll gain much in that exchange. If it's a F30 "Traditional" that you want, then you'll get a narrower neck and tighter string spacing at the bridge, for a much much higher price. I've played enough F30's throughout the years to know that they all have their strong points, but have yet to find one that covers all the bases.

Tommy

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....For $325 shipped it is an absolute steal. ....

Man, you ain't kidding! That is a very cool looking guitar! With a super nice case. Yeah, what a steal. Glad to hear it sounds great too, but not surprised. Guild's offshore makers have gotten really good at it.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Had one, liked it, and let it go! Such is life in the GAS game.
Nice photo spread, BTW.

Joe

Yep - you sent it on to Jeffcoop, who sent it on to me where it still resides. It really is a nice little guitar, and I'm playing it more and more as my right shoulder complains about jumbos and dreads.

Story here and here.

Last edited:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
You’re all so kind!

So far I’m sfill loving it. Had family over for the weekend, so it didn’t get a ton of playing time. The little I’ve gotten to play it I feel like the wood has opened a bit, I’m giessing it didn’t get used much by the previous owner. It definitely sounds sweeter than it did to start.

I also discovered why it was a second (I think). There’s a blem beneath the clear coat near the endpin jack. It’s discolored a bit there. If I put a strap on it you’d never even see it, and it obviously isn’t affecting tone or playability so it doesn’t bother me.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
For the record (if it matters) the case for my D150 looks just like GUN's and the fit and finish seem just fine. It also will fit the G312.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
For the record (if it matters) the case for my D150 looks just like GUN's and the fit and finish seem just fine. It also will fit the G312.

Yeah, only the "tweeds" had complaints.
The black ones are genuine TKLs and I've never heard a complaint about those.
GOOD stuff, OEM supplier for Guild USA since at least the early '90's, not sure how far back they go.