Want to build a Thunderbird!

airplane

Reaction score
Hey guys.

i'm doing some pretty intense research at the moment because i'm obsessed with the idea of building a Thunderbird clone. that's also the reason (thank you (GAD) i stumbled upon this great forum. I'm starting to build the body very soon but there are some things i couldn't figure out yet. most importantly (since i think this affects the tone and character of a guitar very much) i have know idea how the neck tenon looks! is it narrower than the fretboard and reach far into the neck pickup cavity? or is the neck just a fat block of mahagony that is just as long and wide as the fretboard itself?

a photo of the pickup cavity would be really really great! more interested in the 60s ones than the reissues. but the newer ones would also be interesting if i can't find a vintage one..

thank you very much!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here you go - this is from Steve's 1964 S200 Thunderbird that was actually the guitar that prompted me to start writing reviews back in 2014!

_B0Z8428_1600.jpg

_B0Z8429_1600.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
cool that u want to do this but honestly, i would suggest at least trying out a Newark Street S-200 Thunderbird before you go thru all of the trouble- they are mighty fine guitars. ive played one plugged in at Sam Ash and it was quite the beast. also no issues on the bridge or neck pickups (stock mini humbuckers) on the one that I played- they both sounded great. I know Acornhouse owns and plays one, he would be a great person to ask about the guitar. good luck whatever u decide! again, the newark street electircs are solid guitars especially at the price. The Thunderbird is really nice.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have all three T-Birds. The S200, the T-Bird ST-P90, and the T-Bird ST in red. I'm honestly kind of impressed with the T-bird STs, though the S200 didn't wow me, mostly because of the goofy Trem. I think the ST design was a good step. The STs are also on close-out from Sweetwater right now for the ridiculous price of $399.

airplane

Reaction score
Here you go - this is from Steve's 1964 S200 Thunderbird that was actually the guitar that prompted me to start writing reviews back in 2014!

_B0Z8428_1600.jpg

_B0Z8429_1600.jpg

Thank you so much! so, it appears that the neck ends in a block of the same width and length as the frerboard. no narrow and longer neck tenon as in les pauls and other gibsons?

also, is it correct that some of the vintage ones have a neck angle and some are flat? the reissues have tune-o-matic bridges, do the have a neck angle?

buying a t-bird is not an option for me. i want the best and vintage (or vintage correct) parts, hide glue construction, cherry red stain with nitro finish (done by a luther).. i‘m not a luthier but a taxidermist with some carving experience and i have all the tools in the museum i work at. it’s going to be a long way and very difficult, but i‘m confident i can pull this off!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
really no offense to the t-bird and the owners!

(also my girlfriend won’t allow me to buy a new guitar)

HI Airplane, welcome aboard!
Are you sure this is the girl for you?
:biggrin-new:
Joking aside, I get your points about what you want re color, parts, and finish, let alone pride of accomplishment.
Good luck and my hat's off to you!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I can say that the neck/body geometry on both '60s Thunderbirds I've played was visually parallel. That is, no visible tilt. There could be a minor measurable tilt, though.

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
really no offense to the t-bird and the owners!

(also my girlfriend won’t allow me to buy a new guitar)

Grüetzi - dann musst esch wohl sälbst zusammeflicke.

Willkommen

airplane

Reaction score
Grüetzi - dann musst esch wohl sälbst zusammeflicke.

Willkommen

that's right. building a guitar myself doesn't count as "buying a guitar" (i hope). although this is going to be about the same price as the S-200!

i'm also looking for the correct fret wire. i'm thinking about using the same as on my gibson ES-335 (i don't know what frets are on there either), but i thought the "correct" frets would be cool!

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
The STs are also on close-out from Sweetwater right now for the ridiculous price of $399.
You're killing me GAD I really didn't need to read this right now...
EDIT: Looks like it's only the white, the Pelham Blue is still listed at $799.

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
I picked up a white one from Sweetwater. Needs a better setup but I gave it a quick neck and bridge tweak. Sure seems a bit light. Any chance the white ST's are alder instead hog?
M

airplane

Reaction score
Hey airplane,

Ever considered buying a vintage Thunderbird beater and refinishing it?
M

if i could find an affordable beater, i probably wouldn’t even want to refin it. i love aged guitars...

the ones i come across on the internet are all around the 5000 mark. and that definitely counts as „buying a new guitar“.

the chances of ever even seeing one over here in switzerland are non existent..

Last edited:

airplane

Reaction score
@GAD do you have a photo of the complete route/cavity for the pickups and electronics?

if you have more photos of the vintage one than the ones in your „fascinating s-200“ article, could you send me everything via email (wetransfer)? if yes, i would send you my email adress via PM. everything could be helpful..

airplane

Reaction score
Sure, i can understand that. but do you have a photo of the electronics cavity you could post here? i just need to see how much of the wood is routed away.