Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to build a Thunderbird!

Quote Originally Posted by airplane View Post
    is anyone still interested in this?
    Absolutely, right through to the first plugged-in test!
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

GrŁetzi

Is the whammy bar too high for case lid? Even if you turn it back?

Absolutely great work !!!

Did you writ "AIRPLANE" in headstock? Cool

I am certainly waiting for you to finish it and record the sound for rest of us to hear.
    First good guitar - GUILD Duane Eddy 400 - I was 3rd owner - still regret letting it go 25 years ago - used to have Artist Award and Starfire - no regrets here.
    Present guitars - all bought new - F50R 1975 - F512 1977 - F212CSB 1979 - OM-240CE 2018 - Schecter Startocaster
    Bought secondhand - B30SB fretless - RED Songbird - White Songbird - S-60D - D-125 - Gibson 3/4-size acoustic 1957 - Carmelo Gonzales nylon string - old Levin Lute

@adorshki you’re probably going to loose interet then

i‘m really more of a 60s (music) and guitar enthusiast than a good player!

@nuusks no it says „matrix“. 100 points if you get the reference!

well i‘m going to vienna for two months and i definitely can’t take my deluxe reverb with me! i will have to play with the ****ty *** micro cube with headphones because walls in vienna city are paper thin.. maybe i can catch a quick video in a guitar store. i wanted to check out a vox amp anyway..

@adorshki you’re probably going to loose interet then

i‘m really more of a 60s (music) and guitar enthusiast than a good player!
    Did I mention one of my earliest inspirations for style was "Spare Chaynge", Jack and Jorma's tour-de-force on ...Baxter's?
    In fact Baxter's was also one of my first music books.
    I was born in '56 and the garage band era's still one of my favorites.
    I don't care much how crude it is as long as it makes me wanna tap my feet, or better yet, try to play along.

@nuusks no it says „matrix“. 100 points if you get the reference!
    PM sent. J
    Just so my buddy Nuuska still has a chance.

well i‘m going to vienna for two months and i definitely can’t take my deluxe reverb with me! i will have to play with the ****ty *** micro cube with headphones because walls in vienna city are paper thin.. maybe i can catch a quick video in a guitar store. i wanted to check out a vox amp anyway..
    OK at least we won't worry while we wait for the final unveiling.
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-14-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

Hey this build is looking fantastic! Great work. I'm new to this forum but a regular of the offsetguitars forum. I was referred to this build thread from there as I'm planning out a super low budget thunderbird(ish) guitar using spare parts. Does anybody have a blueprint/plan of the body they'd be willing to share with me? my plan is to make a chambered thunderbird body with a strat neck and jazzmaster wiring loom for those interested!

Also airplane, is your username in reference to the jefferson airplane? If so, thats awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by 07hubbardj View Post
    Hey this build is looking fantastic! Great work. I'm new to this forum but a regular of the offsetguitars forum. I was referred to this build thread from there as I'm planning out a super low budget thunderbird(ish) guitar using spare parts. Does anybody have a blueprint/plan of the body they'd be willing to share with me? my plan is to make a chambered thunderbird body with a strat neck and jazzmaster wiring loom for those interested!
    I see a first post, welcome aboard, "07"!
    Also airplane, is your username in reference to the jefferson airplane? If so, thats awesome!
    We drift off-topic pretty freely around here, but in answer to your question, I think that's a pretty strong likelihood, as he mentions in post 6 of this thread:
    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...efferson-Guild
    Do you care to take a stab at the bonus points he offered for identifying the "MATRIX" connection on the headstock logo?
    Al
    All bought new!

@adorshki i'm not sure if i answered your PM (?). but yes you got the "Matrix"-connection right and thanks a lot for that steppenwolf song ( '67 live version of "the pusher") i'm only 30 years old and have been listening to 60s music for almost 20 years now, it's amazing that there's still stuff out there to discover...

hi there! i got some measurements form a member in the MLP forum, but the actual shape and all i transferred from photos. in fact i've never seen a thunderbird with my own eyes in my life! i drew a grid on my computer screen and transferred the shape directly to the MFT for the routing template. then, with two or three correct measurements, you can adjust the outlines. for the neck i took a 59 les paul template and moved the heel back so that the 18th fret is above the body joint.

since this was my first build, i wanted to keep it on the cheap side too. but i eventually got so hooked up on it that i decided to get all the original vintage parts (the ones that matter) and a korina neck and all. keep in mind that the earlier thunderbirds were made of ash or alder or something. i went for khaya because i was missing a "mahogany" solid body in my family and i believe Jorma Kaukonen had a later one with maho body. there are only two photos of him with the Surrealistic Pillow guitar i know of, but i think that's a maho thunderbird.

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing right" - Hunter S. Thompson

@adorshki i'm not sure if i answered your PM (?). but yes you got the "Matrix"-connection right
    When you mentioned Vienna for 2 months I wasn't sure if you were going to have 'net access, so this confirms it, thanks!
    I left the challenge open for anybody else who may care to take a stab, as I felt like I had an unfair advantage.
    and thanks a lot for that steppenwolf song ( '67 live version of "the pusher") i'm only 30 years old and have been listening to 60s music for almost 20 years now, it's amazing that there's still stuff out there to discover...
    "De Nada"
    I've been on a similar mission with jazz for the last 15 years or so.

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing right" - Hunter S. Thompson
    Or maybe for this guitar:
    "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
    Al
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Or maybe for this guitar:
    "Too weird to live, too rare to die"
    This quote may have to go on the guitar or at least the case once I've built it! If you don't mind that is.

Also, I'd like to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome! As I said before, I am a regular over at offsetguitars and they are a great bunch of guys. But some forums similar to this one and OSG, people are so rude and seem more intent on outdoing each other or just being genuinely obnoxious to each other.

I've managed to track down a template of sorts for the body. However, it is drawn up to print on a single sheet of a4. Do you suppose my best bet would be to print it off, use something that i know the definite size of ie the gibson style humbuckers my drawing has, calculate the percentage size and draw some reference lines on my printout, then scale those lines up by my found percentage and fill in the blanks as it were?

Or am I massively over complicating this whole process?