Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Would You? 2014 Guild Savoy 150A or Guild 2014 CE-100D

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Those two guitars are really very different. What do you want the guitar to do for you?
    I was about to post almost the exact same reply.

-1960 CE100D
    -1961 Starfire III Special
    -1962 X175
    -1963X175
    -2011 F47R
    -2015 Newark Street X175 BLK

Whichever played and sounded the best in my hands for the type of music I played.

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Then you want the CE100D.
    Especially that 77th 007 model.
    Thanks, adorshki!
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)
    2014 Guild Savoy 150A Sunburst (MIK)

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    Thanks, adorshki!
    And if you do get it, you could call it "Seventh Son".
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    And if you do get it, you could call it "Seventh Son".
    Reminds me of an Orson Scott Card Series on Alvin Maker... Wow, that was read a long time ago!
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)

Reminds me of an Orson Scott Card Series on Alvin Maker... Wow, that was read a long time ago!
    Well you've got the right audience, here.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I stuck this question at the bottom of another thread. But it belongs in this forum, so I'll ask it here.

All things being equal... as in, suppose you owned one of them and the other was offered to you in a straight up trade... which would you rather have?

a 2014 Guild Savoy 150A or a Guild 2014 CE-100D? (and why...?)

I might have a chance to make that decision, and I was wondering what the consensus is. (It won't be a straight up trade, of course, but hopefully within a reasonable transaction fee...)

Pictures of the CE-100D:

And of the Savoy:

It seems to me you want the CE-100. The Savoy has cool in spades, but does seem to be a bit of a one-trick pony. Two pickups with volume and tone will give you a lot of versatility that's lacking with the Rhythm Chief.
    Me, the CE-100 doesn't seem different enough from my modded Gretsch, so myself I'd probably keep the Savoy because it's so much different than anything I have currently. It might also inspire me to take Jazz a little more seriously, which is something I'm terrible at. It just depends on what you need.
    If it ain't broke, it can probably still be optimized...

“Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough.”
    ― Richard Feynman

I would like it to make me magically sound like Mark Knopfler, of course... (Playing. Not singing...)
    I understand that you were joking about sounding like Mark Knopfler, but you do understand that most of the recordings that are instantly recognizable as Knopfler were played on a Stratocaster, right? The CE-100D and A-150 are different from each other, but the Strat comes from a completely different deck of cards.
    DTC

1958 T-100, 1964 S-50, 1964 M-65, 1976 S-300 (bolt-on neck), 1977 D-25, 1977 S-300, 1979 S-300A, 1983 S-25, 1984 Detonator, 1987 Nightbird (spruce top), 1988 D-15, 2001 Blues90, 2002 Bluesbird P90, 2014 Aristocrat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lumbergh View Post
    It seems to me you want the CE-100. The Savoy has cool in spades, but does seem to be a bit of a one-trick pony. Two pickups with volume and tone will give you a lot of versatility that's lacking with the Rhythm Chief.
    Me, the CE-100 doesn't seem different enough from my modded Gretsch, so myself I'd probably keep the Savoy because it's so much different than anything I have currently. It might also inspire me to take Jazz a little more seriously, which is something I'm terrible at. It just depends on what you need.
    I am still a bit on the fence. Hope to get to GC this weekend and at least try out the CE-100.

Most of the music I do is living room stuff, and for most of that all I need is an acoustic. The main purpose I have for the Savoy is to have a guitar that stands out in the mix of a Bass, an Electric Acoustic (Godin Multiac with steel strings) and a Electric Rhythm guitar -- which I think is a telecaster knockoff.)

When I amped my Guild D40C it just sort of got lost (at best) and muddied the mix at worst. Especially since I play bare-fingered. The Savoy has a unique sound, and I love that. Bringing it through the Archer IKON gives me all of the volume I need, and I can even dial in a little edge with the gain boost. I have no complaints with the Savoy. It's gorgeous, and is clear as a crystal bell.

That said, I've discovered that when I don't have all of the other guys playing, (especially when the electric rhythm guy isn't there) my Savoy seems a little thin by itself. In a perfect world, I'd just buy both. But I promised my wife I would stop with the collection for now. So, adding one means sacrificing one. The Savoy seems the best bet. My thinking is the CE-100D would be more versatile, and give me basically what the Savoy does when the full band is there, plus the ability to thicken the sound when some of the players are missing.

But I won't know that until I play it. From the specs, the neck, nut width, fret size and radius -- it all seems to be pretty much the same as the Savoy. Looks bigger in the bout and it is probably heavier (something I'm not looking forward to because the Savoy is pretty darn heavy compared to my D40C) But, I think playing it won't be much different. We'll see I guess.

Hey, a question for you since you have the Gretsch which is similar... when I get to GC and have a choice of amps to plug into, what would you choose? Also, the stock strings on the CE-100D are D'Addario EXL115 Nickel Wound, Mediums: 11-49. What do you put on your Gretsch?
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)

Quote Originally Posted by DThomasC View Post
    I understand that you were joking about sounding like Mark Knopfler, but you do understand that most of the recordings that are instantly recognizable as Knopfler were played on a Stratocaster, right? The CE-100D and A-150 are different from each other, but the Strat comes from a completely different deck of cards.
    Right. I was mainly joking.

To be fair, post Dire Straits, MK is more eclectic (even at the end of DS he was already playing a Les Paul). He seems to really like his Pensa blue, for example. But yeah, some of his stuff is definitely strat all the way.

But if I could take one thing from MK, it wouldn't be his tone, it would be his phrasing. It's not the notes he plays, it's the time between them that shows the genius, IMHO.

Play that on any setup and it would still be great.

He's not C.G.P. for nuthin...
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    20?? Guild AO-3CE (MIM)