Good deal or bad deal? D25 SN 57475

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to this forum! I am a new general music teacher who did 10 years in the Air Force bands prior to teaching. I am NOT a guitar player but starting to learn and bought a used '71 (maybe) Guild at the music store. Serial number on back is 57475. Guitar sounds hauntingly beautiful but when I got home I noticed a line blemish down the center (almost a crease) on the top of the guitar starting under the sound hole and going to the bottom. I tried attaching pics but couldnt.... Anyways, I know zero about guitars but bought this for $220. Thoughts? Thank you!!

Jamie

Reaction score
'71 D25 - Good or bad deal?

Hey all,

New to this forum - bought a used Guild D25 with SN 57475 for $215 tonight. Guitar has a dark, beautifully haunting sound. There *is* a crease on the top from the bottom of the sound hole to the bottom (right in the center).

I am not at all a guitar player but looking to learn as I transition from the Air Force band to a music teacher.

Think I made an ok purchase? The tone on this instrument is gorgeous!

Jamie

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I left the duplicates because they were not identical so not really duplicates.

Short picture answer is to host elsewhere and link to them here.

Long answer: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG

A playable D25 for $215 sounds like a screaming deal especially since you could put $400 in for repairs and still have a reasonably priced instrument. IMO.

Not sure what the crease is or means. Repaired crack perhaps?

Probably early 1970's and made in Westerly RI based on the serial number but I am going from memory and someone else will look it up and confirm and correct.

Jamie

(Suddenly I'm ambiguous).

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sounds like what I refer to as a center seam split. (likely not the right description//words). I've had that on many different older Guilds I've owned. Never bothered me and never affected tone or playability.

And yes, I agree with Jamie, it sounds like you got that at a really terrific price. Good on you!!!!!!

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I will work on posting pics in the next day or so... been playing the guitar and the resonance is incredible! Was telling my wife last night that when I play it, the whole things sings. I am very excited to get to know this guitar.

I will have to take it in to a repair guy and get his input... my gut says the center seam separation was already repaired (clean, not black)... but getting a pro set of eyes would be nice.

I appreciate the input thus far and thanks for welcoming Me!

Jamie

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey all,

New to this forum! I am a new general music teacher who did 10 years in the Air Force bands prior to teaching. I am NOT a guitar player but starting to learn and bought a used '71 (maybe) Guild at the music store. Serial number on back is 57475. Guitar sounds hauntingly beautiful but when I got home I noticed a line blemish down the center (almost a crease) on the top of the guitar starting under the sound hole and going to the bottom. I tried attaching pics but couldnt.... Anyways, I know zero about guitars but bought this for $220. Thoughts? Thank you!!

Jamie

holy cow $220? that is a steal.
nice work.
hauntingly beautiful is a good tonal description of the old D25 flatbacks. I have a '71 as well.
Oh, the price for a D25 in 1971 was like $225. So you win.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I've been watching three D 25s in my local Craigslist, none which are from my favorite era (70-73) the cheapest has a very ugly top repair, a crush from being dropped, and they were still firm at $575, the others were 90s at $650-675. So I'd say you did alright. Have your guitar evaluated for neck angle, as these are at that age, but a flatback D 25 is a sweet instrument, and you can afford to put some money into it. Hopefully the bridge hasn't been shaved. It and the fretboard are likely Brasilan rosewood.

I'd say a great case of beginner's luck.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....been playing the guitar and the resonance is incredible!

That's really the important thing. Liking the sound of the guitar you're playing makes you want to play more, and it just snowballs from there.

I will have to take it in to a repair guy and get his input... my gut says the center seam separation was already repaired (clean, not black)... but getting a pro set of eyes would be nice.

This is an excellent idea. He can tell if the crack/seam-split has been cleated and stabilized. If not, he can do it for a pretty small repair bill. As suggested, have him check the neck angle, the saddle height, and some other key measurements. Ask him if he thinks you've got Brazilian rosewood. If so, you didn't just get a steal, you better get yourself into witness protection! :tiger:

Keep us updated on your D-25.... and yeah, pics would be great!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI JSL Welcome aboard!
Ask him if he thinks you've got Brazilian rosewood. If so, you didn't just get a steal, you better get yourself into witness protection! :tiger:

I'd say it's about a 99.99% probability that's a Brazilian bridge and fretboard, as long as it's (or they're) original, because Hans Moust has explained before that Guild had suitably sized stocks to make those parts well into the '80's.
See this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?182481-69-D-35-bridge

The D35 mentioned in that thread was the sister version of the D25, the difference being that D35's had sitka tops whereas the D25's had mahogany tops at the time.
Their bridges would have been interchangeable.
Hans is probably the world's foremost expert on Guilds up through at least '01 when the Westerly plant closed , having written the Guild Guitar Book covering the period 1953-1978.
And we're anxiously awaiting the second volume.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
mine is most likely Braz, the bridge and fretboard, hard to say. I think I tried to find out for sure but Hans was not sure 100%. I might be mis-remembering. Not that it matters, like how does a Braz bridge and fretboard actually enhance the overall tone? LIkely?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
mine is most likely Braz, the bridge and fretboard, hard to say. I think I tried to find out for sure but Hans was not sure 100%. I might be mis-remembering. Not that it matters, like how does a Braz bridge and fretboard actually enhance the overall tone? Likely?

Only her oscilloscope knows for sure.

Clairol-Does_she.jpg

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would love to hear your guitar! Any photos yet?

Mine is a '76 and Hans has confirmed it is a Braz bridge and fingerboard.