I bought a new Starfire II

RussB

Reaction score
Yep, Sweetwater has them on the cheap. Now I've read some rumblings about the pick-up mismatch that Guild did with these. When I get the guitar next week, I'll hear for myself just what's up. Until then, does anyone have an opinion about that? Also, who makes a suitable case?

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did you happen to hear that rumbling over on TGP? Because it was me that rumbled. :devilish:

A lot of people don't seem to care or notice, but it drives some of us nuts.

Mark WW

Reaction score
I am one of the individuals that it doesn't bother but then I must admit to wearing (2) hearing aids. I like my NS Starfire III a lot!

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The mismatch bothers me in the theoretical sense, but they sound just fine on my NS SF V.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Doesn't bother me either 'cuz if a guitar has two different sounding pickups and one of 'em is jangly (in a good way), as with the LB-1s, I like having the jangly one at the bridge.

-Dave-

RussB

Reaction score
$607 is a sweet deal.

I paid $477 and change. I got a demo that was marked down $50, but Sweetwater charges sales tax. That's an even sweeter deal!

I've playing all morning through my Marshall 4010 combo, which is a 2204 chassis in a 1-12 format. The bridge pickup has all the spank, twang and jangle I hoped for. The bridge is OK, and combination of the 2 pick ups is fantastic. Meatloaf said, "2 outa 3 ain't bad" and I agree.

Gloss black is tough to photograph,

FdYD8kC.jpg

Here's the "flaw" that Sweetwater took $50 off for, it's the scuff between the rear pup ring screw and the pup height adjusting screw

Y9kFtS1.jpg

Last edited:

mikbass

Reaction score
WAIT A MINUTE HERE.... I've only seen these in "natural"... Do they come in solid colors too, and maybe even sunburst?
Another thing. I find the harp tailpiece most beautiful on these. Do you guys here think it would fit with an aftermarket one
or would there be a need for a lot of woodwork?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
WAIT A MINUTE HERE.... I've only seen these in "natural"... Do they come in solid colors too, and maybe even sunburst?
Another thing. I find the harp tailpiece most beautiful on these. Do you guys here think it would fit with an aftermarket one
or would there be a need for a lot of woodwork?

Natural and Black according to Guild.

http://guildguitars.com/g/starfire-ii-st/

RussB

Reaction score
Well, I like this guitar and its pick-ups so much that I'm gonna get a T-Bird ST while they're still on the cheap

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice.

I can't tell from the pics, but raising the bridge pickup often gives it a better response in balance with the neck.

RussB

Reaction score
It came from Sweetwater with the bridge pup 3/32" away from the strings, and the neck 5/16" away. Sounds pretty good right there. I dig the 2 pups on. It's thick and chimey at the same time

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I shimmed up my recently obtained SG Special's bridge pickup 'cuz the neck p'up was so much louder. The pickups on these guitars were fixed height prior to 1966 (and the big "batwing" pickguard the p'ups attach to), and in this case the bridge pickup cavity was cut too deep. Maybe because of this the guitar has the "2" stamp on the back of the headstock. The previous owner had the polepieces cranked way up, which helped with the volume balance but IMO made the pickup sound too mid-y…and P-90s are already mid-heavy. But a couple pieces of popsicle stick fixed it up fine & dandy. :)

Seems to me anyone finding the reissue bridge LB-1 too thin sounding could add some weight to it by backing down the overall height a little and raising up the polepieces to restore the volume balance.

-Dave-

Last edited:

RussB

Reaction score
I went and ordered me a T-Bird ST this morning. I'm anxious to hear these pick-ups on a solidbody format

stig

Reaction score
Well, I like this guitar and its pick-ups so much that I'm gonna get a T-Bird ST while they're still on the cheap

There's a place here in Manchester, NH that got in a boatload of B-stocks back in August. I picked up an antique sunburst T-bird for 500 bucks! Traded in an old Silvertone and did the deal for $100 out of pocket. I'm SO happy with this guitar. Guild must have been cleaning out the warehouse for next year's models or something.