UPDATE: Project Miracle B-302

Reaction score
Hello again everyone!

I know its been awhile since I've been on this forum, But I come back bearing great (and not so great) news!

For the good news, I was able to find a B-301 project bass that had its body stripped of everything (even the paint), but included was the bridge, truss rod cover, and a few other small things. Next, I was able to find some old 2+2 schaller tuners for a really good deal. Unfortunately for the purists, they aren't the stock tuners, but they look better on the bass in my opinion (I'll include links for the pictures of everything on the bottom). Finally, the best news of all, I was able to find an extremely nice and willing luthier to assemble this Frankenstein for a relatively decent price.

(side note: I'd like to thank everyone who offered help and information on how wood effected tone. I wasn't able to find the time to actually try to craft a bass, but I still found it a fascinating read.)

And for the bad news. The bass was also stripped of its frets, and whoever did it took a few good-sized chips out of the fretboard. However, the luthier was able to fix this and put new frets in. There was also a headstock repair done in the past, so I had my luthier make sure to take a look at it and see if its sturdy enough or if it needs extra repairs. The worst news about this build is that the neck pickup is shot, and the only replacement I know of is on The Guitar mechanic's website for a price of $250, which is a little too steep for me.

My luthier suggested putting this Bartolini pickup or this EMG pickup, but the one pickup I've seen on b-300's that people use are DiMarzios. Before I choose, I'd first like to hear from you guys what I should go with: Bartolini, EMG, DiMarzio, Guild's own DP-8 (if I can find one for cheaper), or somethig else?

Bass Body:
https://reverb.com/item/14067455-guild-b-301-1977-bass-body-project-vintage

Schaller tuners:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sc...v2rc5CNn0c%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Last edited:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Congrats on the bass project! I've always been a fan of that style of Schallers. There's something bold and unique about the shape. Good score and now you have a couple extras in case you need to replace one or the other down the road!
As for pickups, I've never been a big fan of those EMG 35 pickups. Between the two the Bartolini will definitely sound better (in my opinion) and it's a great pickup, but I would probably look into a Nordstrand Big Single or a Hanson CS pickup instead... which I imagine would probably get you closer to the original B-301 tone too.

Last edited:

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Please pay heed to our Mellow German. He has done these things.

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice! I looked up each of the suggested pickups, and I do believe the Nordstand Big single takes the whole darn cake.

I also recently received the bass, and I fell in love after the first note. If I can, I’ll include a clip of what the Franken-Guild sounds like.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice! I looked up each of the suggested pickups, and I do believe the Nordstand Big single takes the whole darn cake.

I also recently received the bass, and I fell in love after the first note. If I can, I’ll include a clip of what the Franken-Guild sounds like.

Always happy to (try and) help! Glad you like the Nordstrands. As far as currently available new pickups, they're probably a close second-favorite for me after Curtis Novak's BS/DS bisonic pickups. Both are excellent though, slightly different flavors and the Novaks would require a lot more wood-work to fit to a B-301.
Looking forward to seeing some photos and potentially hearing some sound-samples!

Also, just out of curiosity, you're using the original bridge on your Franken-Guild right? I know they are adjustable in spacing, but I wonder if you could get the spread wide enough to line up perfectly with the Nordy BS poles. In correspondence with that line of thought I would definitely go with a "neck position" pickup... Guild spacing is definitely narrower than standard Fender spacing. Still, it may not make much if any difference since the strings will still be inside the magnetic field, but it's something to consider

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why not have the bad pup rewound? It's just a big single coil, correct? It probably would cost less than a new pup.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Why not have the bad pup rewound? It's just a big single coil, correct? It probably would cost less than a new pup.

^ this is a pretty good idea. if you can't find somebody locally, you could just send it in to Jerry Sentell... his standard rate is ~$70 for a non-stratocaster single-coil pickup.
Though I haven't dealt with him personally, people seem to be happy with his work

http://www.sentellpickups.net/rewind.html

Last edited: