NGD: Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo Supreme - The perfect guitar?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I seem to have a love affair with mahogany these days... After being blown away by the '65 Hoboken F30, as luck would have it, another guitar on my bucket list pops up. Had tried a few J45s standards, a J45 True Vintage and a Gibson Advanced Jumbo, but none of them hit the mark. Then comes along a Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo Supreme. Very little of these made . I know, some people don't like signature guitars cause you pay for the name almost as much as the guitar,. But in this case I'd say that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Among the custom appointments are Adirondack red spruce top paired with Adirondack scalloped 1930's Advanced X-Bracing, bone saddle+nut, traditional rectangle bridge, modified SS V-neck, SJ parallelogram inlays, Waverly open back tuners, sunsetburst finish...

But really, its the pairing of the Adi top & bracing with the mahogany b&s that makes it my perfect storm as far as tone. This thing has got massive power, but super articulate and intimate and the same time. It just sounds right.
And the rest, the short scale, 1 23/32" nut, the sloped shoulders, etc... just makes the guitar so playable. I got to hand it to Gibson, or maybe Sheryl?... they knocked it out of the park with this one.

Took a quick dirty pic:

IMG_3969.jpg

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a beauty all right, and the Sheryl Crow has always been a tempting item! Congratulations!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous Guitar Clyde! If you ever get the chance to try out a Gibson "Jackson Browne" model which is a 12 fret sloped dread with a Walnut back and sides I highly recommend it! It is designed after one of his original 30's Gibson Roy Smeck Models. They are awesome little tone monsters as well. Enjoy that Crow model my friend, It doesn't get much better than that for a J45!

TX

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Gorgeous Guitar Clyde! If you ever get the chance to try out a Gibson "Jackson Browne" model which is a 12 fret sloped dread with a Walnut back and sides I highly recommend it! It is designed after one of his original 30's Gibson Roy Smeck Models. They are awesome little tone monsters as well. Enjoy that Crow model my friend, It doesn't get much better than that for a J45!

TX

Thanks TX! I've heard about the Jackson Browne, never had the opportunity to try one, but I'll keep a look out for sure. Meanwhile, I'll continue getting acquainted with the Crow... she's mighty fine I must say :)

2okk1tp0vvvnwuil4yerh.jpg

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome , looks fantastic enjoy :)

Neal

Reaction score
It could not look more different than my '49 J-50, which, like most of my guitars, is "cosmetically challenged".

However, if it captures that elusive Gibson spruce/mahogany slope-shouldered "tone" (and you know it when you hear it), then it will never leave your hands.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
However, if it captures that elusive Gibson spruce/mahogany slope-shouldered "tone" (and you know it when you hear it), then it will never leave your hands.

one of the best guitar sounds ever created.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
if it captures that elusive Gibson spruce/mahogany slope-shouldered "tone" (and you know it when you hear it), then it will never leave your hands.
one of the best guitar sounds ever created.

Amen brotha(s). :angel:

BTW, I'm really digging this modified V neck profile on the Crow SJ. Fuller than the slim neck taper on the SJ200, but not too much, fills out the left hand just right and feels great with the short scale.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Back in the '90s I had a fab sounding Gibson SJ for awhile. An early '50s one…got it at Gruhn's during a road trip through Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana. The slope-shouldered body shape just seems to encourage great sound. Had to give it up due to the onset of a neck issue (mine, not the SJ's) that eventually required surgical repair. The guitar's body was too deep for me to play without my right shoulder/arm/hand going numb. Nowadays I'd love to have a Sheryl Crow or a J45 or another SJ. Too many guitars, though.

Enjoy your Sheryl. ;)

-Dave-