Westery SF-4 “Blonde”

Reaction score
Westery SF-4 “Blonde”

Good day all!

I’m not a current guild owner but am hoping to remedy that soon! I’ve owned a New Hartford D-40 in the past that I still regret selling, though it was to fund a grail acoustic that I’ll never part with.

Anyway, I’ve fallen down the electric rabbit hole the past couple years or so and am loving it! I’ve so far owned a Am std. Strat, Am pro Tele (both sold due to unforeseen expenses and not really bonding), and currently own a couple of cheaper local finds; an Ibanez AR-500 and a Peavy somethingorother that was $100...

What I’m finding with the Ibby and Peavey is that I really prefer Gibson style guitars (shorter scale).

Lately I’ve been doing lots of listening and a bit of testing out and everything is leading me towards an ES335 style guitar. Just love the tone of semi hollows. The cleans are rounder and fatter and the driven tones have more... grit? Grind? Everything is just sweeter and fatter.

Of course I’d love an es335 but they are pretty overpriced relative to what they are and I just don’t have the energy to wade through all the dogs to find a good one.

That brings me to Starfires! Since I’m not really a trem/vibrato guy, I’d be looking at IV’s. Since I like bigger necks that leads me to Westery era IV’s.

Now that you’ve waded through that ramble, here’s my specific question for you folks: there is one I saw for sale recently with a maple neck. It’s a 1995 SF-4 “Blonde” with a serial number of AG000015. Some kind of “limited run” I guess? Have any of you played one? It’s my belief that the neck is a huge factor in tone and that mahogany tends to fatten the sound. Do you think a basically 100% maple guitar would end up being too bright relative to one with a mahogany neck like a 335? It’s too far away for me to test out.

Thanks!!

Frank4001

Reaction score
The earlier ones of that run had maple necks then mahogany later on.
I have a 2000 and its mahogany with a thin maple stripe down the middle.
I have not played a maple to compare but they also may have had different pickups too so..
I love my guitar bone stock.
I had been been looking for a 335 when i bought it it was the closest in construction.
I had owned a 70's or 80's Starfire VI with a Bigsby that I had sold and I knew Guild always made quality guitars so i took a shot.
Glad I did.

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
I think that most here would tell you that the Westerly Starfires are among the biggest bargains out there. The '95 probably has the excellent Seymour Duncan built SD-1s in it with an outside chance of the even more excellent Guild HB-1 pickups. The neck is comfortable, the woods are great and beautiful. You will find a fair amount of inconsistency among specs such as the neck wood but either way it is probably a fantastic guitar. My Starfire V is six years older and is killer. Go for it.

By the way, pictures are mandatory!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have an all maple SF 4. I really, really, really like it. In fact, it’s calling me right now.
It is a bit bright, but I’ve found that pure nickel strings are the perfect match for this guitar; they warm things up just right. The tone is sublime. The neck on these guitars is, to me, perfect. Easily my easiest playing and most comfortable of any of my guitars.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome!

Why do you think the '95 is a limited run?

Mid-late '90s is my favorite era of Guild electrics.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Welcome!

Why do you think the '95 is a limited run?

Mid-late '90s is my favorite era of Guild electrics.

Assumed it might be limited run as the label inside said “blonde” and it had the super low serial number.

Sorry, no pics at the moment, it was on Reverb here in Canada but it’s “temporarily unavailable while the seller is away”.

Reaction score
I have an all maple SF 4. I really, really, really like it. In fact, it’s calling me right now.
It is a bright, but I’ve found that pure nickel strings are the perfect match for this guitar; they warm thing up just right. The tone is sublime. The neck on these guitars is, to me, perfect. Easily my easiest playing and most comfortable of any of my guitars.

Great to hear! I’ve always felt that it’s easier to darken a bright guitar than brighten a muddy one. Like you suggest, there’s always nickels. Or even flats!

As long as all the other frequencies are nice and full it’s no problem to use that tone knob, or the treble knob on the amp...

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great to hear! I’ve always felt that it’s easier to darken a bright guitar than brighten a muddy one. Like you suggest, there’s always nickels. Or even flats!

As long as all the other frequencies are nice and full it’s no problem to use that tone knob, or the treble knob on the amp...
Very true! I had a great playing ES-335 that I really liked, but it was very dark. It was fine for some things, but not very versatile. No way to brighten up the tone short of changing pickups; something I didn’t want to do with this older guitar. I sold it when I got my SF 4.
As others have said, the ‘90’s Guilds are fantastic guitars. highly undervalued, compared to other American makers.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It’s a 1995 SF-4 “Blonde” with a serial number of AG000015.
Welcome to LTG! I'd say buy it! It's a low AG serial number (Guild had simply changed the serial number system from GA to AG), the gold hardware most probably also means they are still original HB-1 humbuckers and it's in Canada, so probably hard to find another one in such outstanding looking condition in Canada.
Ralf