Please allow me to introduce myself...

stormin1155

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Norm and I'm from Iowa. I guess I've been a member here for a couple of years, but never posted. A bit about me... I spent most of my career as a HR exec/consultant. For the past eight years I taught part-time at Vatterott College, and retired from that last December. For several decades my main hobby has been building, fixing, and just tinkering with guitars. I'm much better at doing that than I am at playing them. Seven years ago I hung out my shingle as a guitar tech/luthier, and I run that as small business out of my home shop. (I don't know what the policy here is regarding posting website links... some forums frown on that, so I'm not)

I've long been a fan of Guilds. I picked up a used GAD-25 a couple of years ago, but have always wanted a well-seasoned US made model. A couple days ago a 1972 D-35 popped up on Craigslist for a good price and I snagged it. I'm really enjoying it... lots of those old Guilds sound a bit dark. Not this one. Very balanced and crisp. Not a boomer by any means. It will get loud, and has good headroom for strumming, but responds best to a lighter touch. The GAD25, being all mahogany, is a lot mellower sounding, and I have a couple other guitars that have a real big sound, so the D35 is a nice addition to my tone palate.

Just a word about the GADs and new Westerly collection... I know I might ruffle a few feathers of Guild purists, but I've worked on quite a few US models as well as the imports, and now owning both, the imports give up very little to their US counterparts. VERY high value instruments. My GAD is the best $300 I ever spent on a guitar!

In addition to the Guilds, I have a Martin OMCPA4, the Yamaki Folk Deluxe I bought with my graduation money in 1973, a 1963 Harmony H1260, a Seagull C-12, a Recording King RD-06, several antique parlor and archtop guitars, and a dreadnaught I built myself, patterned after Martin HD-28. That one is a real cannon! I also have a bunch of electrics, including eight strats. Here is a picture of the two Guilds and the one I built.

guilds.jpg

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Hello

Welcome to our merry bunch - that is one fine introductory picture there - nice story, too.

"Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste"

The Rolling Stones

ClydeTower

Reaction score
... and a dreadnaught I built myself, patterned after Martin HD-28. That one is a real cannon! Here is a picture of the two Guilds and the one I built.

guilds.jpg

Welcome Norm! Wow that's impressive :applause:
Why buy one when you can build it yourself, right?
Nice collection BTW!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup nice intro mine was like falling off a mountain and sudden stop at the bottom .
Nice build and Guilds ;)

Curlington

Reaction score
Congrats on the new-to-you 1972 D35, and welcome. In my view, those early 70s Guilds are, generally, killer bang for the buck. Character and tone at a ridiculously low prices.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, Norm, evidently you slipped past the membership committee...

iBswc4J.jpg

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice Guilds and impressive self-built! With a burst yet! Welcome to the boards!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome to - IMO - best guitar forum on the web. Yeh, they love Guilds but do not let anyone on here fool you-they know and understand much much much about all guitars.
Great looking build--"Pretty poor mule that want brag a little about his own stable."

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Norm, welcome to LTG!! Nice guitars. Did you build that Martinesque style guitar from a kit? I was just wondering because Don built one of their kits and it turned out so nice and is one of the best sounding guitars in the house!!

Either way, welcome to the nut-house. I'm one of the nuts involved here!! Enjoy your time!! :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool story Norm and welcome! And the GADs are great all solid guitars.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! I enjoyed reading your introduction. That is a fine looking '72 D-35. There is a lot of love around here for the D-35, especially from the early 70's.

stormin1155

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Yes, DavisMan, my build is from a Martin kit.

Today I put on a set of Martin SP PB Mediums. They give it a bit more punch and volume than what was on there. I'll try a few different sets over the next few months to find the best match. I usually favor phosphor bronze, and since this is a rather bright guitar to begin with, I'll probably stick with them, although I might try some Monels. Any suggestions? I've had good luck with D'Adderio, DR Rares, John Pearse, and Martin SPs have been my go-to for years.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Yes, DavisMan, my build is from a Martin kit.

Today I put on a set of Martin SP PB Mediums. They give it a bit more punch and volume than what was on there. I'll try a few different sets over the next few months to find the best match. I usually favor phosphor bronze, and since this is a rather bright guitar to begin with, I'll probably stick with them, although I might try some Monels. Any suggestions? I've had good luck with D'Adderio, DR Rares, John Pearse, and Martin SPs have been my go-to for years.
I've had so many different strings on Don's Martin Kit guitar and honestly just choose your sound. I like Briight and sparkley.... some like mellow and subdued. To me those sound like they need new strings!!! HAAAAAAAAAA!! Do what makes you happy, amigo. Once I get the old photos downloaded from my old computer (proving to be more troublesome that I expected) I'll show you!! It's a great guitar!! One person building one guitar can be a really good thing. Play it and be proud, amigo!!!

I'm a huge fan of GHS Bright Bronze or also D'addario EXP 13.... which are the 80/20 Bronze coated strings but keep in mind, I like a bright sound!! So let me retrieve those old photos....... give me a minute.