D25 Tuning machines

Tico

Reaction score
Additional info might help people make recommendations ...

Do you want replacements that are exactly identical to the originals in every way?
If so can you post a pic of yours?
Even here on LTG, not every member has memorized which tuners were on each model for each year.
... and Guild may have used more than one tuner type for a given model in any given year.
Guild is pretty notorious for not sticking to their exact recipes and specs.
One close up pic of the back of your guitar's head is worth a thousand words if you want recommendations for exact replacements.

If you are okay with tuners that differ from the original (you may have no choice BTW) do you want the new screw holes to line up exactly where the old holes are, or are you okay with drilling new holes?
Do you want tuners that use the same diameter for the 6 big holes in the head that the original tuners had?
Do you care what gear ratio the new ones are?
Do you have a preference on brand, or country of origin?
What's your budget?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would prefer exact replacements. As for price range, about $100.00 but will go higher depending on price.

Hi Edward:
Welcome aboard!
Barring better or quicker suggestions from other members, I'd suggest contacting the man who probably knows more about guild OEM specs than anybody else, our member Hans Moust who wrote The Guild Guitar Book about their first 25 years.

Here's his website:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
If he doesn't actually have the OEM parts he can suggest the replacements.

Tico

Reaction score
Edward, since you've said you want "exact replacements" someone is more likely to help you if you post a picture of your tuning machines.

Even here on LTG, not every member has memorized which tuners were on each model for each year.
... and Guild may have used more than one tuner type for a given model in a given year.
Guild is pretty notorious for not sticking to their exact recipes and specs.
One close up pic of the back of your guitar's head is worth a thousand words if you want recommendations for exact replacements.

If you don't know how to post a pic, just say so and ask for help.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Photos

I did post photo of the tuning machines in my profile. If that's not the proper way to post photos please send instruction. Thanks Ed!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Edward, you'll need to post to a photo hosting website (imgur is a free one that I use.)

Might I inquire as to why you need new tuning machines? My '76 D-25 likely has the same tuners as yours, 3 on a strip, open gear tuners. A small drop of oil and adjusting the screw in the middle of the gear will go a long way toward making them work better.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I did post photo of the tuning machines in my profile. If that's not the proper way to post photos please send instruction. Thanks Ed!

Gotta congratulate you for creative thinking!, but as dreadnut mentioned, there's a better way to get 'em to show up right here in the forum, in a more "visible" size.
The forum doesn't host pictures itself, for a couple of reasons, that's why dreadnut mentioned the need to use a photo hosting site, then there's a linking function here that'll allow us to see 'em.
Reference post:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG

:friendly_wink:

Tico

Reaction score
Edward, here's a screen capture of the pic you posted in your profile.
I clicked on it hoping that would launch a larger and higher resolution pic, but it didn't.

If you have a sharper, higher resolution, closer, larger picture that might help readers recognize what to recommend.
Hopefully this pic is enough for someone to point you to an exact replacement.

One idea is to send that pic and your guitar's make, model and SN to www.stewmac.com and ask them if they have the exact replacement.

D9cHXD2l.png

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice job Tico. Cant quite see the detail but thanks for helping Edward post.

SFIV, nice post. Those in-line tuners are exactly the same as on my '76 D-25M.

Last edited:

Tico

Reaction score
Glad to help a fellow Guild lover.

... and kudos to Ralf for having such rare and specialized knowledge.

Isn't this world-wide Internet thing amazing!?!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Glad to help a fellow Guild lover.

... and kudos to Ralf for having such rare and specialized knowledge.

Isn't this world-wide Internet thing amazing!?!

Only as amazing as the people who populate it.
I'll miss you guys when I'm gone.
:friendly_wink:

Br1ck

Reaction score
I have the same or very similar tuners on my '70 D 35. Not the smoothest tuners in the world, but they work. If it's not broke, don't fix it.