A special NGD - BM01

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
5D3_0218_1600.jpg

5D3_0262_1600.jpg

I haven't cleaned it or anything yet. Needed to test my macro lens and new softbox setup, though.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Holy CRAP!! That's all routered out solid mahogany, yeah?? Forgive my ignorance but ............. but .. WOW!! I don't know **** about this stuff but..... wow.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Congrats! Always wanted one of these. Never got to play one, but I can only imagine it's an absolute pleasure. Looking forward to the review as well!

Zelja

Reaction score
Brilliant! Such a cool looking guitar. and one rare bird. Enjoy.

What would you compare the pickups to? By the look of them they use bar magnets rather than magnetic poles. Specs?

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
What would you compare the pickups to? By the look of them they use bar magnets rather than magnetic poles. Specs?

The original Burns Tri-Sonics use a pair of ceramic bar magnets inside the coil. The "polepieces" are just a flat piece of black plastic.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some of my best research comes from posting a NGD and you guys digging into stuff like this! LOL

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gah! I pulled the pick guard off which is part of my photography regimen while I'm cleaning the guitar and changing the strings, and in gently moving the tone capacitor, it snapped right off of the tone pot due to a cold solder joint. The cap wire didn't break - it was just a terrible solder job which I've never seen on a Guild electric before. The good news is that it's a very easy fix. The bad news is that I forgot to fix it and strung it up and put half of the roughly 397 screws back in before remembering. I just put it back in the case and will deal with it tomorrow.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Thanks QS,
Interesting, as they don't have a bobbin and just the one magnet, very different to say a P90/Franz construction.

Yeah, I've seen one disassembled (it had a short in the wire). There was tape insulation around the magnets (two, placed end to end) and the wire was wrapped directly onto the tape. The original Dano lipstick tube pickups were made like that too, though they used a single rod magnet.

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

There seems to be all kind of incarnations of Brian May Guild - like with or without vibrato - plus all different styles of vibrato - also some with only Start-style switch + pots.

Is there any comprehensive website, that explains it - or should we wait for our dear member GAD to find time and write all about it?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are some pages out there that are usually Brian May gear oriented, but I've found a lot of conflicting information in them. Grot has once again been amazing and supplied me with piles of scans of relevant Guild catalogs so I've got that to build on. Not that the catalogs are always correct, but it's a start. :wink-new: