Dickey Betts suffers "mild" stroke

CA-35

Reaction score
betts.jpg

Following what his doctors deemed a mild stroke, guitarist Dickey Betts has cancelled an upcoming string of tour dates.
The brief string of three dates in Syracuse, N.Y.; Wallingford, Conn.; and Hampton Beach, N.H., that were set to begin Tuesday was canceled after the Allman Brothers Band alum was diagnosed with "post-stroke repercussions." It is not clear when Betts suffered the stroke.
“Yesterday, after describing to his physicians certain post-stroke repercussions, he was strongly advised to give himself more time to recuperate,” his website noted this morning. “Doctors have assured Betts that after three to five weeks he will be 100 percent recovered and can resume his touring schedule.”
“Dickey really regrets that he can’t be there for his fans,” his manager David Spero said in the release, “but he has to take care of his health first.”

Betts, 74, plans to get back on the road in time for his Nov. 1 show in Augusta, Ga., and hopes to reschedule this week's canceled appearances in Connecticut and New Hampshire (the New York date was part of the state fair, so that will be a little trickier to re-schedule.)

The "Ramblin' Man" had just returned to the road in May, after announcing his retirement in November of last year. Prior to that, he hadn't played with his band in more than three years.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wish Dickey well, but seeing him recently at the Great South Bay Music festival, his set was so bad, that we were left wondering if he should just retire. It was sad, really, kind of like the last time I saw Gordon Lightfoot. I guess if you look at Dickey's life, it's a miracle he's even alive. Keef doesn't have much on him!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems like it's often times called "mild" as long as it doesn't happen to you.

FWIW there is an accepted definition of a "mild" stroke.

"The person affected with mild stroke is usually able to perform basic activities (eg, going to the bathroom, shopping) but may have difficulties with complex activities (eg, paying bills, remembering scheduled activities)."

Given the amount of "muscle memory" associated with guitar playing, I wonder whether guitar playing is a "complex activity" in the sense above?

CA-35

Reaction score
What is sad for Dickey, and for anyone who survives a mild or severe first stroke is that within 4 weeks the risk for death was estimated at 28 percent, and after one year it increases to 41 percent. After five years the risk increased to 60 percent.

My father survived his first stroke, which was severe and categorized as Global Aphasia, and had a second and fatal stroke 14 days later.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
This may be an exception that proves the rule, but my dad had a mild stroke around this time in 1993—temporary reduction in motor coordination in his left hand, arm & leg—but made a fairly quick & full recovery and lived another 17 healthy years.

-Dave-

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a good friend in England, who I just learned passed two weeks ago (from an unrelated ailment), that had a mini-stroke shortly after
he had retired from the Fire Service at 50 years old. He completely recovered, but could not do one thing...he had taken up French Horn
as an adult, worked his way up through formal levels and was playing in local symphonies...after the stroke he could not play...could not
in any manner look at notes and translate them to valve positions. Never could learn it back. He even got his CDL back so he could drive
the tour bus and van, but could not play.

Have another musician friend, former teacher at Berkley, classical mandolin player, had a bad fall in his home (foolish accident) and he still suffers from remnants of the severe concussion...he can play beautifully, but appears to have lost a lot of "executive" function...pretty much like Frono's def of a "mild stroke."

The brain is a strange and complex thing; the Lord giveth and sadly sometimes taketh away...

CA-35

Reaction score
I had a good friend in England, who I just learned passed two weeks ago (from an unrelated ailment), that had a mini-stroke shortly after
he had retired from the Fire Service at 50 years old.

Bill my father was a Miami Beach Fireman for 30 years, retired as a Lieutenant in 1980, passed in 2005 at 75.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I tell ya, as I've gotten older, I've garnered a ton of respect for any of the folks that are firemen/women, policemen/women or served in the armed forces. I'm not ashamed to say that I wouldn't have enough courage to ever do what they do.