Played a New Hartford F-30r Std today

rwmct

Reaction score
I popped into the Guitar Center in Southington, CT at lunch time today. Was thinking about getting a more full featured metronome (maybe something with drum sounds). Anyway, I saw hung up in the air what looked like a Guild so I got up on a chair and managed to get it down. A New Hartford F-30r Std. Unfortunately it had a very large and I thought so so repaired crack in the top. It also had the Guild pick up system, which is a big negative to me.

I did not have a pick on me, but finger strumming and plucking wise, it sounded very good to me.

The wanted over $900 for it which I thought was way over priced.

But it was good to see it. I have the F-30 Std. I got on here from Killdeer that formerly belonged to Neal. I had thought about getting a F-30r std to have the set, so to speak.

Truth be told, though, I am not sure I hear enough of a difference between it and my hog F-30 to justify getting it. I might be better off saving more and getting a D-55, if a New Hartford built one is available when I am ready to pull the trigger on another guitar.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have an NH F30 and NH F30R - to my ears, different sounding. The rosewood is a sharper, clearer, the hog is
softer / mellower. Both are great! If I had to part with one, it'd be the F30 standard.

rwmct

Reaction score
Well, I did not say they did not sound at all different, just not different enough. And I did not have the F-30 to compare, nor did I have a pick.

I did think it sounded very nice. With the big crack right down the front, I would probably have paid $300 or so. At over $900, I don't see it going anywhere soon.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hear you re pricing... imo F30s of all eras seem to be priced on the high side,
at GC and elsewhere.
Not sure if that reflects demand or just wishful thinking...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I hear you re pricing... imo F30s of all eras seem to be priced on the high side,
at GC and elsewhere.
Not sure if that reflects demand or just wishful thinking...

I think at least part of it is no current US-built F30 in production, so yes technically a supply vs demand issue.
We saw same thing while D55, F50, and F512 were out of production.
I think used prices came down when new production was hitting streets but I don't actually watch that closely.

rwmct

Reaction score
It is a surprise to me, given that OMs seem pretty popular, that they are not making new F-30s. The imported version is very nice, but still . . .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It is a surprise to me, given that OMs seem pretty popular, that they are not making new F-30s. The imported version is very nice, but still . . .
I suspect it's matter of capacity and a planned schedule of model introductions.
I suspect that schedule was laid out based on anticipated sales forecasts, and getting the new plant profitable as quickly as possible.

tommym

Reaction score
Seems the rosewood versions of the F30 has always been harder to come by throughout the years. I feel privileged to have gotten my hands on both the NH F30 Standard and NH F30R Standard when I did. I don't think one is inherently better than the other as they each fill a niche. But if I had to pick one and run for my life, I'd grab the F30R Standard. I feel that with all the 6 and 12 string Guilds I've owned since the early 70's, the NH F30 Standard and NH F30R Standard are ergonomically (for me) the best U.S. built Guilds I have ever owned.

Tommy

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I suspect it's matter of capacity and a planned schedule of model introductions.
I suspect that schedule was laid out based on anticipated sales forecasts, and getting the new plant profitable as quickly as possible.

Makes sense to me to Al .
Guild says no plans for the F30’s best guess they say check back next summer . I’d like to add a disclaimer “ subject to change without notice “ so poo. I’d really like to see the new F3.14159265 in a Rosewood :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Seems the rosewood versions of the F30 has always been harder to come by throughout the years.
Right, even if only because they were only periodically in production.
"IF memory serves", they weren't even built until Paul Simon requested one as a special order build back in the '60's, which became the basis of he Paul Simon signature version later on,
Don't think F30R's were ever built for more than a few years at a time, compared to the long run of the original F30 including its spec changes and re-issues.
The only place that never actually built any was Corona, probably because it was one of the first GAD models, and they were introduced during Corona era.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My NH F30R, F30, and early 80's Westerly F30. The Westerly feels and sounds a lot more like
my GF25 than either of the NH F30s. Have wondered why Guild switched to the
mini-jumbo shape in this period of production vs what I consider the classic F30
body style. Going to be looking for a Hoboken-era F30, hopefully eventually find something
as nice as Clydes!

pSItu8H.jpg

ClydeTower

Reaction score
My NH F30R, F30, and early 80's Westerly F30. The Westerly feels and sounds a lot more like
mini-jumbo shape in this period of production vs what I consider the classic F30
body style. Going to be looking for a Hoboken-era F30, hopefully eventually find something
as nice as Clydes!

pSItu8H.jpg

Wow, what a trio! I wouldn’t mind finding a NH F30RCE myself :)
Good luck with the hunt

tommym

Reaction score
You and I have an almost identical F30 lineup! My mini jumbo is from 1973. Where or how did you manage to take that photo? It looks very professional.

Tommy

as nice as Clydes!

pSItu8H.jpg

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Tommy. Lots of room for improvement in the photo,
but the quick and dirty setup is photo paper hung from a dropped ceiling, rolling down over
a low table, guitars resting on small blocks of wood, diffused fluorescent
overhead light, 35mm DSLR - took two shots and went with the better one.

tommym

Reaction score
Thanks Tommy. Lots of room for improvement in the photo,
but the quick and dirty setup is photo paper hung from a dropped ceiling, rolling down over
a low table, guitars resting on small blocks of wood, diffused fluorescent
overhead light, 35mm DSLR - took two shots and went with the better one.

Thanks for the full rundown on the setup!

"guitars resting on small blocks of wood" .....WOW....I'd be sweating bullets on that one!

Tommy

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last night I went and drove 2 hrs to GC in NC Cary to look at a F30R they were asking 1600 for it .
It’s 2010 NH sunburst no electronics.
Before I took the drive I asked for pictures ,
Then asked if they had any wiggle room in the price as l’d like to know before I drive out there . I got them talked down to 1250 out the door and off I went , had a friend with me so that made the trip better . I call him animal as he plays drums he’s very good but he destroy a set in a heart beat lol so animal from the muppets it is lol

Ok now to the guitar . It has one little ding on lower bout along the edge the has the shattered look so the NCL is cracked no doubt but it’s very small hard to see .

Other then that it has some scratches very fine almost needle like there only a few but I can’t figure what did that .

Took into the acoustic room played it for a short bit the tone did not call to me . The strings of coarse were deader then a door nail .

Now when I first gazed upon it something caught my attention and I have no idea what it was maybe the bridge , height look right but width did not not that I know what that should be even though I played bought and returned a few NH F30’s

The saddle was a tad low also . So after a played I asked for a straight edge and she was about 3/32 low .

I started thinking it over as everything was saying no but I had to be sure . I asked if they’d put news strings on it , they complied after which I took into a lessons room which was absolutely quiet .

It sounded much better but something I heard on the play was still there . I could make up a sound to discribe it but that would be silly wouldn’t it lol

Best guess was a type of boxy sound but not coming from the strings but in between strums so more or less coming from attack of my hand .

The note separation was spot on tone was she was good though a little brighter or sharper . I still trying to figure it out . Anyway I couldn’t do it . I would like one of each like some of folks do but we couldn’t bond .

At any rate it was a fast 5 hr trip that cost my 75 bucks in gas grrrrr .

I have a pics if thinks they be interested . I thought someone posted they were looking for one but couldn’t find any .

Anyway let me know and I’ll upload a pic if interested .

Hope you have a good weekend .

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Anyway let me know and I’ll upload a pic if interested .

Well you know we're not going to let you off the hook without seeing some pics. :)

Curious though, isn't a slightly "boxy" sound an inherent part of the F30/F30R's tone given its size and depth? My 65 F30 is probably a different animal all together, but it does have a little bit of that cool bluesy boxiness to it. I love it, it totally works with this particular guitar.

I'd really be curious to play these side by side and compare the feel and tone.

Have you considered a short scale hog F30?

Last edited:

F312

Reaction score
The F30 is getting a lot of attention lately.

Ralph