Played a New Hartford F-30r Std today

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Was thinking the same thing Clyde - NH F30s have very distinctive voices & tones - mine do anyway.

But it's all the things together - nut width, action, tone, even the string tension seems different in as much
as the way the tip of the pick moves across the strings in the sweet strum zone - it's as if there's less resistance
string-to-string, just good "glide". Kind of hard to describe. Sure makes me want to play it.
Fretting, moving from note to note also feels like it takes less effort than any of the dreads or jumbos.

I don't get this with the Westerly mini-jumbo-bodied F30 btw - as mentioned, it plays pretty much like my GF25.
Not sure if it's a keeper.

There's a confidence thing too in picking up what you know is really-easy-to-play guitar, you know?

The only thing I struggle with a bit, I've mentioned this before, is physically adjusting to the smaller size
of it vs the NH F50 I typically just put down anytime we're having a jam session.
Body is more hunched over sitting and playing the F30.

Ray, bummer it didn't work out, but at least you gave it a shot.

Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
All of my "mini-jumbo" F30's (I've been through a bunch of them over the years) had / have a more "boxy" sound than my NH F30 Standard. But is that such a bad thing? To me, it's that great vintage overbuilt Guild sound that everyone harps on, right?

I typically only play one guitar on Saturday mornings; it's always been one my F30 "mini-jumbo" bodies; currently a 1973. I need to get my dose of that "boxy" vintage overbuilt Guild sound at least once a week to keep me a truly happy Guild Westerly fanboy.

Tommy

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well you know we're not going to let you off the hook without seeing some pics. :)

Curious though, isn't a slightly "boxy" sound an inherent part of the F30/F30R's tone given its size and depth? My 65 F30 is probably a different animal all together, but it does have a little bit of that cool bluesy boxiness to it. I love it, it totally works with this particular guitar.

I'd really be curious to play these side by side and compare the feel and tone.

Have you considered a short scale hog F30?

Boxy inherent ? Hmmmm , first I’m not an expert on that thought I could agree if it was old school built with latter bracing at the same time not being experienced in older F30’s of same dimensions I can’t say .

What I can say for sure is the F30’s I bought and returned due to structural issues which were also NH 2010-11 had amazing tone one of those was bloody awesome much like now contemporary CO-2 but a kick better and I can’t get it out of head , never could talk about a curse !! Lol

Between my now sold CV-1 , CO-2 and F30’s played none have sounded boxy . They have varied between tone as far as fullness if I can say it that way .

Some were just to bright or to muddy make low notes dull .

I wish I could have recorded with it there I think it would have done well .

Anyway , I have to giggle because I keep forgeting to record the old 60’s Harmony I bought for my boy now that has boxy sound and total mojo lol a truer bluesie sound unfortunately neck adjustments are not available so at the moment some good buzzing in the upper registries.

Give me a bit and I’ll post pics . It’s a nice guitar and the discription I posted is accurate. Personally NH had a great burst .

Here’s the CO -2 demo to skip my bs talking skip to 7 minute mark no boxy lol

https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/giuld-co-2

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
NH 2010 F30R pics sorry for the crashing its not my fault !
j1K3bm8.jpg
[/IMG]
NIQjls6.jpg
[/IMG]
uu9fAHm.jpg
[/IMG]
6KZIsGs.jpg
[/IMG]
SquUvp8.jpg
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
few more pics
PL4eDCk.jpg
[/IMG]
NafSqTj.jpg
[/IMG]
This is smaler then it looks !
4lzDTkx.jpg
[/IMG]

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Too bad you didn't bond with it... that's a nice burst.
Did you like the 1 3/4" long scale neck?.. Say compared to the 1 11/16" neck on the F55?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Too bad you didn't bond with it... that's a nice burst.
Did you like the 1 3/4" long scale neck?.. Say compared to the 1 11/16" neck on the F55?
Ironically I don’t notice those issues I just play it lol
I think the CO-2 is 1 3/4 as was the cv-1 though I don’t think about it .
My custom is 1 3/4 and geez I can’t remember what my Blueridge is lol what I do know is I can rock on a 1 5/8’s nut but finger picking is a bit tight ,