How to tell between Brazilian and Indian Rosewood?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
'At's what occurred to me first time I read about it.

No, you won't see 'em from that plane.
THE pores are only visible from a cross-section, or the edge end of a slab, not the side showing visible grain.
Here's the link that explains it, just didn't have time to search for it until now:
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-...osewood-from-east-indian-and-other-rosewoods/
Brazilian:
brazilian-rosewood-endgrain-zoom.jpg

EIR:
east-indian-rosewood-endgrain-zoom.jpg

Hope that clarifies it.
:friendly_wink:

not sure what you mean, i have seen the pores on rosewood guitars with my own eyes, pretty commonly. sometimes it is quite excessive. the guitar i posted the photo of does not really have any of that, to the naked eye. at least nothing so obvious

F312

Reaction score
...and then there's Honduran Rosewood, (Dalbergia Stevensonii), has anyone have knowledge on this species? I have a fretboard of this wood on a boutique electric and it feels like maple.

Ralph

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
not sure what you mean, i have seen the pores on rosewood guitars with my own eyes, pretty commonly. sometimes it is quite excessive. the guitar i posted the photo of does not really have any of that, to the naked eye. at least nothing so obvious

Those are end grain cuts not the pores in the flat of the board be it top or back wood in this case .
Not sure which pores your referring to ? 🙂