NGD: Just picked up a 1965 Guild F30

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Just picked up my first vintage Guild: a 1965 Guild F30. It looks in pretty good shape. Good angle/depth on the neck, low action, decent height on the saddle, very little fret ware, tuners in great shape, and the top is just super gorgeous. All for 975$ shipped.
Pretty excited about this one... should receive it in a few days. Can't wait!

39440C.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations and lots of LTG members love the F30. It does look marvelous and bet the sound equals or surpasses the looks.

beecee

Reaction score
wow...wanna trade?

Kidding, but that is gorgeous

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Way to go, Clyde! You should be very happy with that sweet little number!

Thanks! She's got a few dings and scratches plus a small crack that was professionally cleated, but to be expected for a 54 year old guitar... just adds more mojo!
Can't wait to hear her delicious vintage tone :)

Update to follow...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks! She's got a few dings and scratches plus a small crack that was professionally cleated, but to be expected for a 54 year old guitar... just adds more mojo!
Can't wait to hear her delicious vintage tone :)

Update to follow...

Congrats :) we can’t to hear it also 😁

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
fantastic score! just looks in great shape. congrats!

Rampix

Reaction score
beautiful! i like everything about it and ooooh that top!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Question / observation: I recently picked up a 1966 F212XL, first year production. The headstock overlay had shrunk considerably and pretty much popped off as soon as I removed the tuners.

I was surprised to see that the top of the headstock (underneath the overlay) was covered in a thin layer of what appears to be white FORMICA!

In other words, the headstock is a sandwich: 1.) natural wood headstock, 2.) a layer of formica on top of that, 3.) plastic overlay on top of that.

Since then, I've seen several other Guilds of that vintage, like yours, with tell-tale white edges showing around the shrinking overlay.

I assuming this was how they made 'em for awhile, but I haven't noticed anyone else ever reporting it. And when did they stop I wonder?

Glenn

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Question / observation: I recently picked up a 1966 F212XL, first year production. The headstock overlay had shrunk considerably and pretty much popped off as soon as I removed the tuners.

I was surprised to see that the top of the headstock (underneath the overlay) was covered in a thin layer of what appears to be white FORMICA!

In other words, the headstock is a sandwich: 1.) natural wood headstock, 2.) a layer of formica on top of that, 3.) plastic overlay on top of that.

Since then, I've seen several other Guilds of that vintage, like yours, with tell-tale white edges showing around the shrinking overlay.

I assuming this was how they made 'em for awhile, but I haven't noticed anyone else ever reporting it. And when did they stop I wonder?

Glenn

I can't really tell from the pictures if there's any shrinking of the overlay. Never thought to ask, as I usually concentrate my attention to the neck and bridge.
I guess I'll find out when shes shows up in a few days. The shop was super nice and pretty forthright about the condition of the guitar, didn't mention anything in particular about the inlay...

Will let you know what I find.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I picked up my 65' Hoboken F30 at the border today.

The seller had a 2 day return policy so, parked at the border patrol parking lot on the US side, I took out the guitar, gave it a good look over and played it in the back seat for at least 30 min. If ever the guitar wasn't what I was expecting, I could head over to the nearest UPS store and ship her back...

As expected, it does have its share of battle scars. Most notable is the top crack just under the pickguard which is common I hear for a guitar from this period. Its been professionally cleated and stable, but its there and quite visible. The action is relatively low and comfortable, however, there is little to no room left on the saddle to go any lower if ever it needs it. And the neck has no relief, flat as pankake. Surprisingly, the frets show very little ware. After playing for a little while, I can say this F30 definitely has a lot of mojo going on. The tone is rich, full and clear as a bell. Tons of character and charm, I'm very pleased.

Looking forward, my only worry would be if this guitar would eventually need a neck reset. The seller was not able to say if it ever had one. The neck joint doesn't show any apparent signs of it. Can anyone here tell by looking at the pics?
If the action is low and comfortable now, after 55 years, and barring any sudden or massive changes in humidity, is it safe to say the neck has moved as much as its going to and likely remain stable?

Any opinions are welcome

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful guitar. Looks like you found a real good one!