D-70 Questions...see pictures

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thank you Adorshki for all your observations
You are quite welcome sir, and I still think the fretboard is original and it has had a reset.
What finally occurs to me is that there's an element of a reset that I don't think has ever been discussed here, the need to be sure the scale length is still accurate after the neck is reset, because the distance between nut and saddle could in fact have changed.
Think about it, neck's off, might have some beveling done on the heel around the dovetail, and some sanding on the sides around the heelblock when cleaning off old glue, and presto, you've eliminated just enough material that when the neck's put back on you've got that absolutely miniscule overlap of the fretboard over the soundhole now.
(Note I have seen that on at least one other Guild shown here in past, can't remember where or when, but most likely a web seller listing, and I also think that could be a result of simple tolerance overlap:
Soundhole a few thousandths over size, fretboard a few thousandths overlength, and there you have it, with absolutely no effect on intonation has long as the bridge was set in correct location.
I just can't remember if that was supposed to be an "as built" instrument that hadn't had a reset, but I think it was. I just remember going "huh" to myself when I saw it)
So speaking of scale length after a reset, recall that Guild mounted their bridges after the neck was set, and if it is slightly off now, I'm guessing the "simple" fix would be to re-slot the bridge.
I could see that re-slotting might be only a matter of filling the current slot and re-slotting, if it's only a few hundredths off.
All you really need to do is move the saddle if necessary.
And even at that, I got a suspicion it won't be.
:friendly_wink:
So keep us posted!
I'm glad I don't have that dilemma.
:biggrin-new:.