F-512

Reaction score
I worked at Guild in Westerly in the mid 1980's. I was pretty young and learned a lot there. I had no idea that at the time when the company was changing hands so many times that Henry from Gibson had placed a bid to buy Guild. Interesting to think what would have been if he won the bid. In the mid 1990's I bought a burst F-512. Loved it, except for the white binding, and sold it a few years later when I was having financial difficulties. I have watched as Guild has moved around and has now settled at Cordoba. After watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ0nPBRbXLM yesterday I raced to my computer to see if they had them at Musician's Friend, they had one of 2 left that had just arrived last week. It was bought and sent overnight and it should arrive very soon.
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...21521000001000

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dude! That's the way to do it! Major congrats!

And welcome to the boards!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sounds like a victory, Victory. Congratulations on one of Guild's finest!

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like a Victory, Pete!

And welcome aboard!

' Strang

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Now, that's a strong entrance to LTG. Welcome aboard, Pete. I can't see anything on the MF link, but are those new F-512s from Oxnard that you're talking about? I hope so. You'll be one of the first to have one.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Smells like victory, Pete, smells like victory.

Welcome.

Since you are one of the first in these parts with a Cordoba F-512, we hope and pray you'll favor us with photos, a review, and a comparison with your recollection of your long-departed F-512.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sweet ! That guitar is on my radar . ;)

merlin6666

Reaction score
Some interesting observations while looking at the specs:

Bracing pattern: Hybrid X scalloped
Neck finish: Satin
Fingerboard: Pau ferro
Special features: Limited edition

I didn't compare to the regular new F512 Oxnard specs, but am surprised that the fretboard is not Ebony and no nitro finish for the neck.

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
Merlin, where are you looking to see those specs... That doesn't sound like an F-512, does it?

1. I might be liking that new fret wood. Most ebony that is harvested today is the variety with "vanilla" wood grain streaks evident within the black ebony now.

2. The satin neck is most likely similar to a cello or violin satin neck, the type that many very accomplished musicians play. Out of 3 new F512's that I bought, I posted here on LTG about "sticky" nitro necks on all of them. They actually felt sticky, not tacky. I have kept my 2010 F512, since it finally quit feeling sticky after about 18 months. The only way I was happy playing with a sticky neck (that apparently was still drying from within) was to wipe it with a moist cloth before, during, and after every time I played it. How nice it might have been to be able to merely pick up those guitars and just play them.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
very nice, I believe our member ClydeTower has one and is very happy with it. congrats!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
2. The satin neck is most likely similar to a cello or violin satin neck, the type that many very accomplished musicians play.
Just because it's "satin" doesn't mean it's not some kind of NCL, but I still suspect you're right and it's probably the catalyzed varnish they use on the M20's for example, for exactly the reason you mention.
I've seen a lot of comments from folks who prefer a "non-gloss neck" in the last coupl of years

Out of 3 new F512's that I bought, I posted here on LTG about "sticky" nitro necks on all of them. They actually felt sticky, not tacky. I have kept my 2010 F512, since it finally quit feeling sticky after about 18 months. The only way I was happy playing with a sticky neck (that apparently was still drying from within) was to wipe it with a moist cloth before, during, and after every time I played it. How nice it might have been to be able to merely pick up those guitars and just play them.
I remember those comments too, in fact I think Clyde experienced it with his NH F512, too.
Glad to hear it did finally start getting fully "cured" as I expected it should.
PS Welcome aboard Pete!
Not often we see a Westerly alumnus around here!
Let us know what you think of Oxnard's work!
At least a few of us are looking for some ongoing confirmation that the tradition's being carried on adequately.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see satin there, I think that's a mistake. Certainly doesn't look like satin in the picture.

As for Pau Ferro vs. ebony.... I think that may also be a mistake, but hmm.....

If it's true, then these are major changes to the breed.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I don't see satin there, I think that's a mistake. Certainly doesn't look like satin in the picture.

As for Pau Ferro vs. ebony.... I think that may also be a mistake, but hmm.....

If it's true, then these are major changes to the breed.

It's "Private Reserve" and "Limited Edition" so hopefully the OP will post a picture of the label and a more detailed description soon.