Playing an After-Funeral Party

crank

Reaction score
An old friend died suddenly this past week and I am going to be playing a couple of songs solo at the party at his house after the funeral on Monday.

He was a Dead Head and also played guitar... had a smaller body older Guild I remember but don't remember the model.

I am thinking of playing a mournful tune and then a song that he always liked to play and sing at a jam: Big River - a Johnny Cash tune but one the Dead made their own.

For a more mournful tune I am thinking either Stella Blue, a beautiful, sad ballad or Some Dark Hollow which is another song the Dead covered.

Any preference to either song? should I not play a mournful tune? I was actually thinking Black Peter but then thought that's just too morbid.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I won't have a funeral but there will be one hellacious drunk/buzz fest when I go. I have requested that John Prine's "Please Don't Bury Me" be played loudly, often and with great fun.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello from across the pond

I do not know you or your late friend - so only advice I have is - You know it - listen to your heart - you do not have to please anyone - just do the last favour in your own way - may he rest in peace.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry for your loss crank. Stella Blue would be my choice.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry for your loss, still missing my pickin' buddy who passed a couple months ago.

If you're open to suggestions, "Lone Pilgrim" by Bob Dylan.

Another one I've done at funerals is "What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?" Done by Jorma Kaukonen on his "Blue Country Heart" album. Beautiful song written by a Methodist pastor in 1901.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=gTZ5WoKW4VY&usg=AOvVaw0q9YnM88tN0BlL-szyOFXF

crank

Reaction score
Gonna be Stella Blue. Just got Robin's approval.

Thanks guys.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very sorry for your loss. I must agree with Nuuska in that you should play what is in your heart. Something that you know was special to them.

crank

Reaction score
Thanks all.

They had things set up for a band and when I came in they , immediately recruited me set up my electric and be part of the backing band. I did get to sing and play Big River with the whole band backing me and that was great because our friend really loved playing and singing that song. Got a few hugs from old friends after that. Never got to play Stella Blue though as it's not a song you can really expect a pick up band to play.

I wanted to get a few of my Dead head jamming friends up there to play that and maybe Eyes of the World, another of the deceased's favorites, but it just never happened.

Oh well I played those songs for him when I got home.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's great that all of you could get together for a musical tribute to your dear old friend! I'm sure he approved.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
An old friend died suddenly this past week and I am going to be playing a couple of songs solo at the party at his house after the funeral on Monday.

He was a Dead Head and also played guitar... had a smaller body older Guild I remember but don't remember the model.

I am thinking of playing a mournful tune and then a song that he always liked to play and sing at a jam: Big River - a Johnny Cash tune but one the Dead made their own.

For a more mournful tune I am thinking either Stella Blue, a beautiful, sad ballad or Some Dark Hollow which is another song the Dead covered.

Any preference to either song? should I not play a mournful tune? I was actually thinking Black Peter but then thought that's just too morbid.

Sympathies to the family and friends. Man I’d have to say I’d cave attempting what your about to do so much respect and strength sent your way .

geoguy

Reaction score
"To Lay Me Down" might have drawn a few tears . . . good on you for playing for your friend.