Case for Vintage F512

Coop47

Reaction score
Hi all -

I've found some old thread and some hints, but nothing definitive. Can someone point me towards a case that will definitely fit a 1977 F512? I've found a few where the measurements are too close to be certain. I'm looking for something in the $100-$200 range. (Gator, TKL, etc.). Prefer a hardshell, but not opposed to a polyfoam

Long story, and I shouldn't be surprised, but GC sent mine across the country in a cardboard box with bubblewrap. I'm lucky it was a Guild - I had my guitar tech friend go through it thoroughly and it survived without any damage. It's in great shape, which tells me there's probably a vintage Guild case going on Craigslist in California soon.

Any help is appreciated, I hate having it sit around without a case to keep it safe.

Thanks,
Coop

Coop47

Reaction score
Actually, I emailed them before posting here. But I figured this group would be more versed in what works for a vintage Guild.

Coop47

Reaction score
TKL replied that the 8820 should be a fit. I found a good deal on Reverb and jumped on that.

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
GC shipping

.......Long story, and I shouldn't be surprised, but GC sent mine across the country in a cardboard box with bubblewrap........,
Coop

They did the same thing to me with an old D30. Funny thing is they had it and forgot to put the guitar in it before they shipped it.

Coop47

Reaction score
They did the same thing to me with an old D30. Funny thing is they had it and forgot to put the guitar in it before they shipped it.

How do you "forget" something like that? It's unbelievable. When I called the central number, I was told "most of the time those old guitars aren't traded in with a case". Really? I'm guessing the cases just aren't catalogued and go out the back door. (Once I answered a CL ad for a Princeton amp cover. When I met the seller, he was on break from Guitar Center, still wearing the shirt.)

They're not all bad - I've had some great experiences with GC, dealt with decent people and wound up with good gear. I'm just ticked off that they didn't even double-box the thing.

Butch

Reaction score
I just purchased a gator jumbo case for my F612 but it didn’t fit, however, it fits my F50 and my F512 perfectly.

Coop47

Reaction score
For future generations of F512 owners: The TKL 8820 is snug at the lower bout, but fits fine. The case is lighter than I thought it would be.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coop, is the TKL case the one you got?

Snug is good, as long as the guitar isn't pressed up against the actual hard shell. That would be too small.

Coop47

Reaction score
Coop, is the TKL case the one you got?

Snug is good, as long as the guitar isn't pressed up against the actual hard shell. That would be too small.

Yes, the TKL 8820. After sitting in there a few nights, it seems to be a good fit. I'm happy with it.

And oh my goodness - I don't like buying guitars unless I've played them, but I really lucked out. Everything I had read about and more. I've been looking for the right 12-string for 10 years. This was well worth the wait.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, the F-512 is iconic for a reason, Coop. :) Congrats. I've never played an F-512 that didn't send me over the moon, and the only real risk with buying one sight unseen is whether the playability is right.

For what it's worth, a Guild 12-string should play like butter. It should not be a chore, difficult to fret, buzz, whatever. If it's any of those, get it to a luthier and get a setup. There's no question in my mind that you'll bond with this instrument as long as the playability is where it should be.

Coop47

Reaction score
Well, the F-512 is iconic for a reason, Coop. :) Congrats. I've never played an F-512 that didn't send me over the moon, and the only real risk with buying one sight unseen is whether the playability is right.

For what it's worth, a Guild 12-string should play like butter. It should not be a chore, difficult to fret, buzz, whatever. If it's any of those, get it to a luthier and get a setup. There's no question in my mind that you'll bond with this instrument as long as the playability is where it should be.

Thanks Chazmo! It was impressive right out of the bubblewrap, but Dean at Guitartec took care of me as he always does - it's a monster now. My issues are my hands - I tend to do better on narrower necks, and I snapped a tendon in my pinky finger a few years ago which makes some fingerings a little more difficult. But as 12 strings go, this does play great.

Now I'm looking for a pickup for it. The saddle notch is a little on the shallow side, so I'm thinking I may stay away from a UST and go for a K&K pure 12 string. Happy to hear opinions on that subject as well!

Last edited: