1975 D35 and 1969 D40

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Visit my 91 year old friend in assisted living each Tuesday afternoon. This weeks visit was greeted with, "I got some sad news." He has a 1975 D35 in sad sad shape and he just got one of those heavy mobile electric carts like you see handicapped people in at grocery stores. Parked in front of his D35 and cart was in foward when he thought reverse-yep, you get the picture. He just crushed the top below the bridge and bridge cracked. Some how it tightened/locked all the strings against the frets. Are there any interchangable parts that I might save and use on my 69 D40? He loves to strum and sing old songs and I encourage him each Tuesday. I am on the lookout for another guitar for him.
The D35 top is kinlin.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stu, so sorry for your friend's axe. Interchangeable parts? Not to fix an acoustic with a broken soundbox, Stu.

You should take some pictures of the damage and contact Tom Jacobs (fixit) to see what might be doable to repair it, but my guess is it should be sold off now as a project guitar.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chaz:
Sure he doesn't have much extra cash. Somehow someone got him to spend $169 plus tax on a terrible new and cheap guitar. He may be 91 but his mind is sharp. He told me, "that new guitar is hard to chord and sounds like rubberbands on a cigar box with a soap paddle handle." He is funny!
My Bucket List guitar is a Chris Bozung acoustic and Chris is just a wonderful man who lives 12 miles from me. I know he could make it, "like new again" but hate to impose. Will give this lots of thought before next Tuesday.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Could you start a "GoFundMe" page? I would be very happy to contribute to what seems to be a very good cause. I'm sure others here would feel the same.

Br1ck

Reaction score
91 and playing. Wow. Take it to the tech and get it evaluated. If you like the guitar, buy it from him, get it fixed, then lend it to him for the rest of his life. You will end up with a very nice beater.

beecee

Reaction score
Stu,

You're a saint.

I have a pretty nice sounding, easy playing non Guild, (Madeira) I'd be willing to ship to you at no charge to you for him to use.

I do ask for a picture of him playing/tuning/futzing to these forums as a reward.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very kind of you to offer and sincere "thanks" but I will get something worked out, soon, so he can play and sing again.
Just imagine you were holding a bowling ball about knee high over the top and dropped it dead center just below bridge. That old "kick in the stomach" feeling.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, not many 91 year olds still playing, good on you for encouraging him, Stu. I hope you can get something worked out on the guitar.

My buddy had his standup bass leaning up against his car once, a stiff wind came along and knocked it down onto the driveway. He said it sounded like it exploded. Some guy said he could try to fix it, LOL, Tom brought it to him in a basket. That guy put that bass back together and Tom played it for several years after that, Never say never.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....I have a pretty nice sounding, easy playing non Guild....

Talk about saintly, beecee! What a great offer! You're to be saluted!

genie.gif

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Talk about saintly, beecee! What a great offer! You're to be saluted!

genie.gif
Cougar:
You are correct and have had two other offers of guitars.
Here is the latest:
2 offers of sending guitars
1 offer of repair
I plan to get guitar Tuesday, take pictures, and send to member who offered his skills and time toward repairs.
Plan to get him my former Epi Masterbilt I sold to get the 1969 D40. Epi will be loaned as long as needed.
Life is good.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
cool that the bridge itself survived the incident. still looks quite playable. thanks for the pics of the Hero himself as well.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
This just in....

Looks like he has gone over to the dark side - says he/they found a nice Alvarez:
0820181055a_resized.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
When I took it to him, we both "choked" up and he began playing and singing, I've Enjoyed ad Much of This as I Can Stand.
Thanks to all and. especially, Cosmic.