Valsartan heads-up

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Phew! One of mine is Losartan, but, as far as I can find, it’s not the same (you never can tell with the generics these days.)

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My doc just prescribed Losartan as a replacement, Chris. It's definitely not the same, though I guess we have to be ever vigilant about such things.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
By the way, this came up because I was just refilling my 'scrips. Valsartan was one of them, and my doc immediately wrote me about this. Sigh.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Phew is correct. My only one is Losartan. I do not need any more cancer issues. Once is definitely enough as even 15 years later I am still constantly monitoring (Aug 25 2003 was surgery day.... boo hiss). Thanks for the heads up Chazmo!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been on a low dose of Altace for years, largely because my doctor knows how stressful the construction industry is, not because of my BP (measured at 120/66 at his office today). Thankfully, while it's an ACE inhibitor like Valsartan, the two compounds have very little in common.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fortunately, that's one I'm not on...but why are we getting prescription drugs from China? I don't even buy dog treats from China.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeez, I didn't know there were so many high blood pressure medications. I'm taking lisinopril.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeez, I didn't know there were so many high blood pressure medications. I'm taking lisinopril.
They can be tricky, finding the right combination that will do the job, but not have bad side effects. I think I started on lisinopril (or something similar sounding), but had to switch to losartan and amlodipine.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had just started on it, after being on two others, because it seemed I was getting used to Lisinopril and it wasn't so effective, and the pharmancy called and wanted it all back. Back on Lisinopril and larger dose of Metoprolol. When I went back to my Cardio doc, she grumbled about getting drugs from China as well.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would like to make the observation that (according to some sources) China and India account for about 80% of the prescription drugs sold in the United States. (China accounts for the majority of aspirin as well. Sources for OTC, not prescription, drugs are harder to track down). Sometimes they produce the 'pills' which are then imported but sometimes they produce a key raw ingredient which is then imported in bulk and manufactured in the US. So (much like automobile manufacturing) prescription drugs are an internationally sourced and manufactured product.

If we are going to talk prescription drugs and single out a particular country we run the risk of getting political real fast and in ways that require Moderation. Let's not go there, please.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here is a simple recipe for some real dog candy: thick sliced sweet potatoes (1/8 - 1/4"), blanch for 5 minutes, dehydrate (you can use the oven if you don't have a food dehydrator.) A favorite at our house.

u0eGq0i.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: