Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
LOL, yeah i cannot imagine that add lasting long

kind of like that "you bet your sweet ***-percream."

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It didn't last long before they yanked it off the air...
So short I don't think I ever even saw it!
My favorite?
At the moment, probably the old Alka Seltzer "No Matter What Shape" campaign from the '60's with its sweet little jingle, performed by the Wrecking Crew as "the T-bones", no less:

Link, for those getting the dreaded "Black Box":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQvWEpFhuc

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So short I don't think I ever even saw it!
My favorite?
At the moment, probably the old Alka Seltzer "No Matter What Shape" campaign from the '60's with its sweet little jingle, performed by the Wrecking Crew "backing" the T-bones, no less:

Link, for those getting the dreaded "Black Box":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQvWEpFhuc

very cool Al, and more and more Wrecking Crew creating the soundtrack of 1962-1972. I wonder how many elevator music songs they also were part of...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
very cool Al, and more and more Wrecking Crew creating the soundtrack of 1962-1972. I wonder how many elevator music songs they also were part of...

From Wiki's MUZAK page (itself a real eye-opener):
"This was the time when Muzak began recording their own orchestra—actually a number of orchestras in studios around the country, indeed around the world—composed of top local studio musicians. This allowed them to strictly control all aspects of the music for insertion into specific slots in the Stimulus Progression programs. "

Responsible for bringing us such gems as emasculated violin-soaked versions of "Satisfaction"; "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"; and "Proud Mary".
I can recall being in a mall when I was 13 and feeling "paranoid" for no good reason.
After a while I realized it was the Muzak being piped in at a just-under clear audibility threshold.
At that level it caused anxiety which I realized was probably intentionally induced to stimulate the purchasing urge.
I kid you not.
Only years later did I discover that one of Muzak's original "products" was "Stimulus Progression", described here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's too funny. It's difficult to tell people since we downsized why I hate my toilet. It's low. And it's slow. And it takes a TON of water to flush and even when it's done, not everything is gone. And some people seem to think that's not enough bad about them to replace them (which is happening very soon) But when I sit down and my BAXXS float....... I hate that. I really do!!

:upset:

CA-35

Reaction score
My all time oldie favorite............Sam Breakstone..."Tell him he needs a new cow"

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

A Mystery solved.

I recall learning a song that made no particular sense to me at the time, when I was young. It was just nonsense/doggerel. It had the exact same lyrics as the commercial except another word was substituted for "boys". I wonder if it is counted a success because I remember an entire advertising jingle decades later or a failure because I had no clue what brand/product was being advertised?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
We've talked about this ad before. It is one time I think we are all pleased that there are guitars in the ad and none of them are Guilds.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Responsible for bringing us such gems as emasculated violin-soaked versions of "Satisfaction"; "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"; and "Proud Mary".
I can recall being in a mall when I was 13 and feeling "paranoid" for no good reason.
A former co-worker told me about talking with Jerry Jeff Walker in a supermarket when for no apparent reason, JJW burst out laughing. Then he pointed up and said, "Listen, they're playing my retirement (or something similar)." It was a Muzak arrangement of "Mr. Bojangles."
Brad

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
From Wiki's MUZAK page (itself a real eye-opener):
"This was the time when Muzak began recording their own orchestra—actually a number of orchestras in studios around the country, indeed around the world—composed of top local studio musicians. This allowed them to strictly control all aspects of the music for insertion into specific slots in the Stimulus Progression programs. "

After a while I realized it was the Muzak being piped in at a just-under clear audibility threshold.
At that level it caused anxiety which I realized was probably intentionally induced to stimulate the purchasing urge.
I kid you not.
Only years later did I discover that one of Muzak's original "products" was "Stimulus Progression", described here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak

Stimulus Progression, Al. That just sounds dangerous.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
A Mystery solved.

I recall learning a song that made no particular sense to me at the time, when I was young. It was just nonsense/doggerel. It had the exact same lyrics as the commercial except another word was substituted for "boys". I wonder if it is counted a success because I remember an entire advertising jingle decades later or a failure because I had no clue what brand/product was being advertised?

Actually, I think it dates back to the civil war...or earlier...

ah, hear it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Your_Ears_Hang_Low?

Last edited: