School me in Guild jumbos

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Why’d you have to post the one close to me! I had that on my watch list already....!

Oops. Yeah, that looks pretty good.

I've had good luck on making reasonable offers and having them accepted. I've also readily accepted reasonable offers when I'm selling. I like that feature on reverb.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Could be. It's a stellar instrument.
Yeah I seem to recall explaining that Coronas were unjustly vilified when you first inquired about it.... :friendly_wink:
I also saw that the ebony board was spec'd already on that '01 price list, but don't know when it started.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Quit being an enabler! I want to. Just hate spending money, and I’d love to have my 25 back!

One thing I hate is it says Fender in the back of that headstock! I know it’s unavoidavle at this point, and a very dumb thing on top of that. It’s still a Guild!

Might have to message the seller and see what we could work out. Avoiding shipping he might give me a bargain.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Quit being an enabler! I want to. Just hate spending money, and I’d love to have my 25 back!

One thing I hate is it says Fender in the back of that headstock! I know it’s unavoidavle at this point, and a very dumb thing on top of that. It’s still a Guild!

Might have to message the seller and see what we could work out. Avoiding shipping he might give me a bargain.

That decal's a mark of authenticity of an early Corona build, no joking.
Don't let it get in your way.
PS I did forget your '25 was already in the shop, if you'd told us.
Good luck either way!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Although many here are a bit doubtful, if you get a chance check out the new Oxnard built F 40. It is superb IMHO.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

You only live once. I just bought a house, so you ought to be able to buy a jumbo 12-string! :courage: Of course, I was under the one-in, one-out rule, so I had to sell a house to fund the new one. But you ought to be able to skip the one-out rule, and just take the one-in. Mrs. UpNorth will love the angelic choir of a 12-string! :encouragement:

One thing I hate is it says Fender in the back of that headstock!

I've got that on mine, and I didn't much like that myself. It's grown on me though. Fender was apparently wise enough to keep its hands off the Guild production system. They may have shown Guild how to do a better sunburst, though.... :tiger:

jib793.jpg

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Making me drool with that one. I may skip repairing my D25 and pick up that 12 string...I do currently have a nice 12 drednaught, but I’m sure the jumbo would sing. Oh decisions!

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Of course he’s open to an in person transaction. Now it’s become an extremely hard debate. I have a feeling I would quickly fall in love with the tone of the jumbo 12.....

Nobody thinks the finish checking is a detractor? I know it doesn’t affect tone or playability. My 80s Ric was riddled with finish checking. A fair asking price at $950? The Corona build doesn’t detract much to me, I would be of the feeling if it passed QC it is every bit a Guild as any other Guild.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too bad you're not close by, GuN... I'm quite a fan of the jumbo 12s and you could try them for yourself.

Yes, the model numbers are confusing, but I hope what folks have told you here helps.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I already feel much more educated, though still quite obviously a novice at deciphering them. I think the F512 or JF30-12 are the two I’m most interested in. That said Gavin not played either. I’m strongly considering making the drive to try the JF30 12 that’s a couple hours away. The only problem is then I know it would have to come home...!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A JF-30-12 is great. Hard to make a mistake there. You'll probably love it, and if you don't you can sell it easily. Good luck with the hunt, GuN. Remember, it's about the journey, not the destination. ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Of course he’s open to an in person transaction. Now it’s become an extremely hard debate. I have a feeling I would quickly fall in love with the tone of the jumbo 12.....

Nobody thinks the finish checking is a detractor? I know it doesn’t affect tone or playability. My 80s Ric was riddled with finish checking. A fair asking price at $950? The Corona build doesn’t detract much to me, I would be of the feeling if it passed QC it is every bit a Guild as any other Guild.
Let's not forget Fender actually bought Guild in '95 (finalized in November) so the last 5 years of Westerly production were actually under Fender ownership, and more than a few members here believe that was a high point for Westerly quality.
Primary reason Westerly was closed was that it would have cost too much to upgrade it to modern construction facility standards.
I mean, the place was ventilated with massive swing-open windows on the roof, exposed to fluctuations in humidity 24/7, for one thing.
Fender built a dedicated production building for Guild in Corona and was basically "hands off" about actual construction.
These weren't just built on a Fender line and had the logo slapped on.
They even built special runs like the 50th Anniversary D55 to show off their capabilities.
Member TXBumper has a magnificent Chris Fleming signed F47R, a one-off true Custom Shop Masterbuilt guitar.
And Fleming did at least 2 or 3 prototypes that I know of for the brand, exploring new model ideas and techniques.
THAT's where Fender's "Laying on of Hands" occurred.
I think the sticker was just to make it clear where the guitars had been built, a little bit of PR like the "True American" Truss Rod covers of the '90's.
In 2002 (first production model year, ad title should read "2002-2004"), Corona was known primarily as the location of Fender's Custom Shop so there may have been the intent to cast a little bit of that halo on the instruments.
When I got my D40 I actually thought it was built in the Custom Shop since that's the only thing I recognized Corona for at the time (2004).
I only found out about Fender's infrastructure investment when Hans Moust explained it here, a while after I joined.
They also installed a brand new state of the art (and CARB-compliant) spray booth to be able to spray NCL, and sadly, that was a weak point early on: finish issues.
That serial number is pretty low, I'd bet it is a first year, maybe 2nd.
Hans Moust will know for sure.
There was some B-stock let go due to checking issues.
Far as I can tell from pics that's not a "B" stock though.
If it was a "B" stock it'd have some kind of marking like a "Used" stamp over the headstock s/n or possibly a red B on the label, I don't recall if Corona actually used that 2nd method though.
So, price? I think $950.00's ambitious primarily due to the checking, I'd put a $100.00 deduct on it right there., but other folks who buy and sell regularly might have a better idea.
Market's kinda funny due to lack of production while Oxnard was ramping up.
So, there you have the inside scoop about Corona, whether you buy this one or not.
They only just started gettin' some respect, but there could still be some screaming deals to be found.
Just be on the lookout for "MIRC" guitars, those were refurbs or simple unsold inventory Fender liquidated when they closed Corona, (which was a major source of Corona's bad rep).
They're readily ID'd by a barcode sticker over the s/n on the label, but we'll get into that in another chapter.

Oh yeah, fall in love with the tone?
If it's good enough for Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues, it'd be good enough for me...

string.jpg

Or, maybe, if hardcore blues is a little more your style, you'd like Stevie Ray Vaughan's choice of the F412, the upscale mother of the JF30-12, for his MTV Unplugged show:
srv-pride-and-joy-unplugged--735x413.jpg

Hey a maple archback's a maple archback, no matter what kinda clothes she's wearing..
:friendly_wink:
Final note:
RichardP mentioned the Oxnard F40, just remember that item is a full 17" lower bout (like the JF30-12); not to be confused with traditional F40's of 16" width.
In case you discover that's relevant for you.

Last edited:

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
I’d almost think you’re a Guild salesman in disguise! I’ll have to double check my wife isnserious. I did note there’s one other on reverb for $850, and it’s a Westerly. Can possibly use that to help bargain a bit. I thought $950 was a bit high with the checking, but I know far less than most here. Also, who cares about checking if the tone is there I suppose. I would love the F512, but if I can get a good price on the JF30-12 I wouldn’t be in the least disappointed.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
GuN, I think $950 is a bit high unless it's absolutely immaculate. The checking doesn't bother me at all, but the Corona heritage is often a way to get more "buyer's value" out of the thing (lower price). There really is no stigma from an ownership point of view with Corona builds, but there *is* a real difference in the resale value - that's just a fact, sadly.

GuildUpNorth

Reaction score
Just scanned completed eBay listings and the highest recent sale I can find (and the three there are Westerly build) was $680. Have to negotiate a bit I guess. Suppose I have time on my side since I’m not in a hurry!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where's the listing? I was trying to find it here in the thread to look at it closely and maybe give an opin.